Popular Tags: [View All]
Gastel Etswane
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Man do I love this website. I log into it for a few minutes on my return from work, and I often look at this first thing in the morning before getting ready for work.

This website has it all. Reviews, strategy forums, and photos of people playing the games that I love to play and having a great time. What is not to love? Nothing.

I also live nowhere near a FLGS and in fact have to drive about 2 hours to get to a decent game store that will likely have the games that are talked about on this site. It is an exciting day when I travel to this store and my wife usually gives me a good chunk of time to browse and just look at all of the cardboard in front of me. I'm temporarily in Geek Nirvana.

I reach down and pick-up a game.

CHART TO SHOW WHAT IS GOING THROUGH MY MIND WHEN PICKING UP A GAME
Game Name Thought
Quarriors I like this game, but everyone else doesn't except my kids. Oh well, their loss.
Dominion - Intrigue I have lots of this game, but never got this. I should, it looks fun.
Pandemic Fighting viruses sounds good. Should have got this instead of Shadows over Camelot.
Agricola I want to but this... >< I can't buy this.
Belfort I want to but this... >< I can't buy this.
---- This continues for a while. ----
A Few Acres of Snow Yay! I really want this. Wait. It is broken.

And I didn't buy A Few Acres of Snow because of this "Halifax Hammer," which I don't read about because I either want to find it myself or not at all. (Although I suspect it has something to do with Halifax and attacking - possibly with a hammer.)

Has BGG betrayed me? Has complaining about a game ruined this for me? No. I appreciate the comments from everyone on this site. Steer me away from the bad games and encourage my participation in the best games. So far my purchases have all been excellent, I don't own a game that I'm disappointed in (even Shadows over Camelot is great, I just had a bad experience where my mother was the traitor and she really didn't want to be - I'm running the Resistance with her this Winter Break, so we'll see how that goes.) Thank you to those who put in the time to inform others about your opinions. This site is friendly and helpful. Even while writing this commentary, I find that I am limiting my natural sarcasm, so that I can get out my absolute point without vitriol.

If you have continued to read this far... well good for you, your stamina is increased +1 for "Boring Events," but I do have a point I would now like to make. Commenting on BGG effects those who are reading. The continual discussion about Halifax Hammer stopped me from buying this game. Maybe that saved me. Maybe I now went home with a lesser game (actually all purchases were done in secret and I will discover what they are on the 25th), I will not know for at least a good length of time. Have people who love this game, pushed me away from it with there constant thread titles that include "HH", "Halifax Hammer" or "Not Broken?"

Don't stop, but do remember that people are listening to the volume.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I, too, was skeptical. I often am anyway when it comes to the cult of the new, and the "BROKEN!!" threads didn't help a bit.

Lucky for me I got to try a friend's copy, and I loved it. Now I've got my own and I've taught two other people who also loved it.
(thanks again, Secret Santa!)

You're doing the right thing in ignoring the complaint threads. The allegedly broken strategy is not at all obvious (and to be fair I'm skeptical as to how "broken" it is.) So if you get it, play it and explore it on your own terms, and you'll probably have a blast with it. I know I did!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ove Ahlman
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the pete wrote:
You're doing the right thing in ignoring the complaint threads. The allegedly broken strategy is not at all obvious (and to be fair I'm skeptical as to how "broken" it is.) So if you get it, play it and explore it on your own terms, and you'll probably have a blast with it. I know I did!

I agree. Even though there is a single very focused strategy which the the brittish player can adopt, that doesn't mean the whole gameplay is broken. You could just not use that strategy and then the game is totaly fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the seeming volumes I have read about the "foolproof" "Halifax Hammer", it seems that I am not smart enough to actually use it.

If you get these cards, you must do this, but if you get those cards, you must do that, a third possible draw means you must first do whatsist. Now, if the French counter so, you must switch to X, but if they do thus and such, you must respond with Y. But if you draw bleep are bloop, and the French try to gleep, then you have to glop. If you do these simple things exactly correctly and in the precise order, you cannot fail to lose. I have done this many times, and if you email me privately, I will send you a replay. I plan to post the replay shortly on BGG, but I am too busy crushing my French opponents in this broken game.

Get it?

Luckily, my friends and I are dumb enough to just play sub-optimally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo
mbmbmbmbmb
Dieroll Honker wrote:
From the seeming volumes I have read about the "foolproof" "Halifax Hammer", it seems that I am not smart enough to actually use it.

If you get these cards, you must do this, but if you get those cards, you must do that, a third possible draw means you must first do whatsist. Now, if the French counter so, you must switch to X, but if they do thus and such, you must respond with Y. But if you draw bleep are bloop, and the French try to gleep, then you have to glop. If you do these simple things exactly correctly and in the precise order, you cannot fail to lose. I have done this many times, and if you email me privately, I will send you a replay. I plan to post the replay shortly on BGG, but I am too busy crushing my French opponents in this broken game.

Get it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Walker
United Kingdom
Liphook
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dieroll Honker wrote:

To me that surmises the approach very well - the unbeatable HH is out there but even to play it well you have to have mastered the game - a solid background in CCG combos or lots of Dominion helps with this. But to get there you are going to have to play the game a lot - even gaining this experience is fun and rewarding - surely why we play in the first place.

Also when I play the game with new people, who do not use this site, I let them play British so the game unfolds as expected or if I play British I don't go for this when teaching.

The rumour mill has it that there will be some rulings from Martin W shortly to address some of these issues - in the meantime I'm keeping AFAOS as one of my very limited 10 games (EDIT rating wise not collection size ;-)) - and certainly the very best of what for me has been a great year of games.

Next time you make that trip to the geek nirvana I'd strongly recommend picking the game up.

Also I echo your sentiments on the BGG community and approach a great opening to the thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
Looks like 28 is coming in this year!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it once, and talked about it to a few friends. Both of them checked the BGG entry, saw that it "was broken", and decided not to read more into it. Understanding that a game has issues is something, but to be told or reading that it is broken is something else. Why would anyone want to buy a broken game? These claims did indeed have an effect on many people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Topher
United States
Highland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm lucky in the sense that my friends whom I play games with are not bgg users. I'm not worried about them knowing these secret strategies and I have refused to read about the HH personally as I don't want to be tempted in to using it. That being said, there is also something quite appealing about finding a way to 'fix' what's been proclaimed as being broken. That can be a game unto itself. (in fact, the HH may even offer a sort of solo experience to the game if it's that scripted.)

Don't let yourself be too affected by 'broken' threads if the people you game with aren't these elitist gamers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The rumour mill has it that there will be some rulings from Martin W shortly to address some of these issues

Unfortunately, it was never said it will be shortly.

There was information, though, that Martin Wallace is working on the issue and that he is playtesting some solution which no one mentioned here, he also reportedly rejected some of the fix proposals suggested by BGG users, as they were proven to not work in the regular playtesting. The designer himself said nobody knows how long it will take to publish any fix and it is perfectly understandable.

It would be nice to know which of the users' proposals are not valid from the beginning in the eyes of Martin Wallace, though. It would certainly make life easier for the homerule tinkerers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And certainly don't let the 'broken' threads make you think of as 'elitist' gamers those bgg'ers who seek out certain truths about certain games. Some bgg'ers actually care about the games to offer input to designers to help solve problems they perceive as being real, regardless what the lower minions may think and their closed-minded gaming groups.

Oh Brother...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gastel Etswane
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Great discussion and tips.

stevepwalker wrote:
Next time you make that trip to the geek nirvana I'd strongly recommend picking the game up.

I just might have to now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
What is happening/has happened with A Few Acres of Snow is a problem of the internet more than the game itself. You get self-appointed experts who come looking for a fight to "prove" that their opinion is not opinion, but fact. You get those who want to pile on. You get people who tell others to "F-off" over a game, and others who come to their defense to claim that nothing wrong was done. You get those who, if they do not enjoy the game, refuse to allow anyone else to have fun. And, lastly, are those who "had no choice," but to change their opinions, because, clearly, a musket is pointed at their heads.

This problem is not unique to BGG, but it is the main reason for why I have considered, on and off again, chucking this circus that it sometimes is. However, there are great guys like Robert (GROGnads), Peso Pete, Gittes, Chris Farrell, and Dr. Bob, to name a few, who keep me coming back because of their insightful comments, wit that isn't cruel, generous trades, and all around decent human being behaviour. Thank you, named and unnamed, for giving meaning and substance to the world of boardgames and history.

Buy A Few Acres of Snow, play it, and see its depth and richness. There's more character in those cardboard and plastic components than in most of the game's critics.

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Linkor wrote:
the pete wrote:

I agree. Even though there is a single very focused strategy which the the brittish player can adopt, that doesn't mean the whole gameplay is broken. You could just not use that strategy and then the game is totaly fine.

Not doing certain things permitted by the game probably counts as fixing it. I suspect many players of games would prefer not to have to double-think every move lest they do something unfair.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.