Subject: Triple burst symbol question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When exactly does this take effect? The rulebook says you gain a corrupted die when you roll this symbol. We had a game last night where a player got a reroll on one die and a triple burst on the corrupted die. I was about to hand her a corrupted die when she pointed out that the reroll said "immediate" but the triple burst didn't so she should be able to reroll the burst before gaining the die. I couldn't argue with the logic and the rules weren't clear so we went with that interpretation. Is this correct?

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the expansion yet, but if the rules do not state that the tripple burst is an immediate effect, I'd say the re-roll would work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
igelkott255 wrote:
The rulebook says you gain a corrupted die when you roll this symbol.

I would interpret it like this. Even if she re-rolls the die, it doesn't change the fact that she rolled a triple burst symbol.
And since the rule clearly states that you get a corrupted die, when you roll that symbol you get a corrupted die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if it were immediate, aren't you allowed to resolve any immediate effects in the order you choose? So she could do the reroll first regardless.

I do like Mike S's suggestion of getting the corrupted quiddity anyway just for having rolled it at all. I haven't played the expansion yet so I don't know how that would balance out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dolan
United States
Highland Lakes
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you could reroll it but you then could get a 2nd corrupted die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would argue that if you get the corrupted die then the corrupted quiddity is spent and in the discard pile. Every other die goes to the discard once used which is why you can draw a portal die you just used with a second portal die.

I looked over the rules and there are no special rules written stating that you have to gain the corrupted die right away so I don't see why playing with the rules as written you would not be able to reroll the corrupted die if able to avoid the negative, that is the entire point of reroll abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the expansion either, but I think I would go with your interpretation. The purpose of the reroll is to allow you to adjust a die. For example, if a creature dice rolls quiddity instead of the creature, you don't get to spend the quiddity AND take the reroll. You either take the quiddity OR you reroll it. If you don't get the dual effect when its positive, you shouldn't apply the dual effect when its negative either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fractal Energy
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tagging topic for official answer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Player77 wrote:
igelkott255 wrote:
The rulebook says you gain a corrupted die when you roll this symbol.

I would interpret it like this. Even if she re-rolls the die, it doesn't change the fact that she rolled a triple burst symbol.
And since the rule clearly states that you get a corrupted die, when you roll that symbol you get a corrupted die.
I would agree. Played a 2 player last night and was disappointed that there was not enough of corruption in the game. They need to errata these rules to make it work better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
you don't get to spend the quiddity AND take the reroll.

Which is logical, 'cause once you've spend the quiddity, the die goes to the used pile. So you can't re-roll it anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fractal Energy
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I got to play two games with some corruption last night and my natural intuition was to treat it as adding the new corruption die directly to your used pile (as if you had purchased it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.