Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
alex w
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Urban Sprawl

Like Mr Marco I’m a Wargamer than a Eurogamer. With the current hype, its only natural that I got drawn into a game of Urban Sprawl on one of our gaming nights. (Someone told me it was a ‘wargame’)

It has everything that I’ve learnt in games (and their mechanics)

Its a/an :

(1) Set collection game : Those role models are irresistible

(2) Hit the leader game : There will be a run away leader in the game eventually (where his buildings occupies the expensive prime land.) Get Him! Where’s my contractor?

(3) 18XX game : Placement of buildings are as crucial as putting on the right track tile in an 18XX route. One wrong move and you are behind for one turn.

(4) Monopoly Variant : Oh! You got 5 prestige...move your token 5 steps.....when it reaches a 100.....and we go round again! Yeah! I’m in the lead! Or am I the last player that is way behind?

(5) Mr Jack running along the streets of a Metropolis game : Finding Mr Jack might be easier than finding the ‘right-priced’ lot for a building. Can’t really remember how many times we calculated each lot after each player’s turn. I need a homemade counter token to help me out on this.

(6) Diplomacy Variant : ‘Hey, build it there, it would be detrimental for that player!’......’ don’t listen to him, this place is better, I’ll help you in this/that....’............. That’s a lot of talk and counter talk. Bargains, business deals, threatened with Urban Renewal......

(7) Card game : Flip a card, read the text, flip another, read it as well, flip another card from another deck....flip....flip.....Done. We’ve filled up all the ‘blank spaces’...... next player’s turn. Now we read the cards again and absorb the benefits it may provide.

(8) Classic Battleship game : E9?..... anyone there building a block? G5..... is the least valued lot. H2....its a HIT! (Here comes the contractor)

(9) Wargame : ‘Hey man, you can’t do that to me! That’s my most profitable lot! .....This is WAR!’ That’s life in the real world...it’s either your money or mine! The Urban Renewal Cards and the Contractor felt like Panzer units.....

(10) Role Playing game : I’ve always wanted to be a District Attorney! Now..... what can he do in a dungeon crawl game?...Erm....Sorry..... I mean Urban Crawl......erm....I mean Urban Sprawl.....my bad.

(11) Mafia game : The treasurer earns more than anyone else! Every turn, he sticks out his hand and we have to pay our monthly dues!

(12) Mathematics cum Sudoku game : 5+7+13+10 is.......but if I build in this lot, it will be ...7+3+12+5......But if I have only 20 bucks....than I can build on this lot that is .......3+5+8 only....

(13) Organised Chaotic game : 14 Event cards in the last 28 planning cards. Best bet would be quite a few consecutive events happening eventually.....Chaos begins....but we know when it will come. Prepare for it!

(14) Deck Building game : Use my ‘AP’ to buy this, and another ‘AP’ to buy that, leaving me with 4 ‘APs’ to buy this and that......And during my ‘Action’, I’ll play this and that and......

(15) Eurogame : It has wooden blocks.

(16) Tile Laying game : Duh?!!! Need I say more?

(17) Pattern Building game : Lucky I played Ubango! Now that ‘L’ shaped building fits into that lot....

(18) Card Drafting game : I’ll buy that card with APs, knowing you’ll need it....just to antagonize you. ’Passing’ the rest to you........

(19) Trick Taking game : Should I take that card? Or that one? Or a combination of .......

(20) Memory game : ‘Say, old chap, what was the value of that block again? Could have sworn we calculated it before we moved that red circle token....’

If you take the top 100 games and their mechanics and add it all up together......Urban Sprawl is what you will get.

Urban Sprawl is everything that you like and everything that you hate all under one roof.

What’s there not to like?

Personally, I love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Tadyshak
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
That was hilarious!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ade Lewis
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
Thats what I wanted to hear!

The question US'ers need to ask is: Are you man enough to make US what it can be, or are you going to duck out taking the path of least resistance?

US is what you make it. No effort, no rewards.

Good... Nay! GREAT review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great. Reading through the rules and will play soon.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Necker wrote:

The question US'ers need to ask is: Are you man enough to make US what it can be, or are you going to duck out taking the path of least resistance?

I replaced US (Urban Sprawl) with US (United States).surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ade Lewis
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
jjloc wrote:
Necker wrote:

Sorry for that! I can see how that might work

Did it inspire you? LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Necker wrote:
jjloc wrote:
Necker wrote:

Sorry for that! I can see how that might work

Did it inspire you? LOL

I thought it was rather funny. I read it as US = United States the first time not making the connection to Urban Sprawl (duh!!). The funny thing was that it made sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance G
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
...determines everything.
badge
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.
mbmbmbmbmb
Necker wrote:

So true...you either delve into it and scrap, or go play multiplayer solitaire!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review!

I'm nervous the chaotic aspect will led to my wife disliking the game. She doesn't care for stuff she can't plan for...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
She might love it.

Urban Sprawl takes a certain amount of planning to play well.

Just don't fall in love with your plans as they may get dashed upon the rocks of incompleteness...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Salzwedel
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I'm pickier because I'm a game designer, but after one disastrous play where I kept getting beat on one event after another, I can only recommend it to the most die-hard simulation fans. The game play is slow, complex, and chaotic. Rule clarifications are needed and ties resolved frequently. For a 90-minute game, I might try it again to see if my enjoyment improves with a second go, but at 3 hours, I would have to be desperate to try it again. It puts way too much emphasis on turn order and your first turn, and those in the lead tend to stay there, because the balancing mechanisms (e.g., contractor) are pretty weak. You can't even save up to buy into more expensive neighborhoods, because someone who was doing better earlier in the game keeps tapping out your savings with their buildings and elected offices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
ssgames wrote:
Maybe I'm pickier because I'm a game designer, but after one disastrous play where I kept getting beat on one event after another, I can only recommend it to the most die-hard simulation fans. The game play is slow, complex, and chaotic. Rule clarifications are needed and ties resolved frequently. For a 90-minute game, I might try it again to see if my enjoyment improves with a second go, but at 3 hours, I would have to be desperate to try it again. It puts way too much emphasis on turn order and your first turn, and those in the lead tend to stay there, because the balancing mechanisms (e.g., contractor) are pretty weak. You can't even save up to buy into more expensive neighborhoods, because someone who was doing better earlier in the game keeps tapping out your savings with their buildings and elected offices.

wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex w
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ssgames wrote:

I had some similar problems too at some stage of the games. But that's 'somehow' the fun part too.

Like I said, everything that you like and hate are all in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.