Recommend
12 
 Thumb up
 Hide
47 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: The Batlle for Stalingrad from Excalibre Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

I would like to know if anyone can post remarks about The Batlle for Stalingrad from Excalibre Games.



Thanks in advance

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Skimming thru my copy of the game from what I understand (can't compare it) it is a straight reprint from the old edition.

What I personally hate with this reprint are the glossy rulebooks.

All in all the game is good and I like it so far (still going thru the rules and doing my first steps in the game - more to follow around christmas).

Hope there will be a Vassal - mod soon.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan on trying it out during the Xmas holiday.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alphawolf wrote:
Skimming thru my copy of the game from what I understand (can't compare it) it is a straight reprint from the old edition.

What I personally hate with this reprint are the glossy rulebooks.

All in all the game is good and I like it so far (still going thru the rules and doing my first steps in the game - more to follow around christmas).

Hope there will be a Vassal - mod soon.


I don´t agree with you Wolfgang regarding the rulebook. For me the rulebook was printed in good quality paper and have some interesting stuff that add more quality to the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When there is a vassal module I´m in PBEM Wolfgang.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:
I plan on trying it out during the Xmas holiday.


Give me some feedback then Roger. Ok?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The original is an excellent game so if it is fundamentally unchanged as stated above you're in for a treat...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Peso Pete wrote:
Atraxrobustus wrote:
The original is an excellent game so if it is fundamentally unchanged as stated above you're in for a treat...


I agree. The original came out around the same time as Phoenix Games' monster Streets of Stalingrad, so it didn't get the attention that is rightly deserved at the time. However, most people who have played it (including myself) thought it was an outstanding game.

The reprint by Excalibur has cleared up the map errata as well as integrating the rules errata into the rules, but they had the good sense to leave this game alone and not jigger with the system (something I wish Decision Games would learn from and stop re-designing the SPI games).


I loved the map and the chit draw mechanic (could be the first game to utilise chits to regulate play)...at the time there was criticism about the fact that units were not given historical designations but I thought this only enhanced chaotic feel of the situation as units were conveyer-belted into the meatgrinder without such niceties as higher unit integrity being observed...a pre-game viewing of the evocative movie 'Enemy at the Gates' recommended..
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
olivier R
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
I have read bad things here about Excalibre after ordering the game and was a bit worried but I have to say the production quality is very high : glossy rulebooks, nice play aids, a whole booklet devoted to strategy and designer's notes etc.

I haven't played yet but the rules are impressive. Like I said in another thread, they put a lot of new games to shame as far as clarity and simulation value go. It is one of the games that has impressed me the most recently. Plenty of neat mechanisms and lots of chrome.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Atraxrobustus wrote:
at the time there was criticism about the fact that units were not given historical designations but I thought this only enhanced chaotic feel of the situation as units were conveyer-belted into the meatgrinder without such niceties as higher unit integrity being observed...


This seems to be a regular design intent from John Hill. He takes this same approach in several of his other designs.

I rather like that element. It prevents ahistorical deployment of "better" units in places they didn't actually fight in and allows the vagarities of chance and dice luck to determine which units perform more successfully than others.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Atraxrobustus wrote:
The original is an excellent game so if it is fundamentally unchanged as stated above you're in for a treat...


I believe so. I have high expectations about this game.
I don´t understand why this game lacks of information here on BGG.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Borrows
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've bought and played the game. The map is excellent, the counters well produced and the rulebook very comprehensive. The gameplay is very non-symetrical and takes a game turn or two to get used to. However, once it got going I found the game to be an absolute joy to play. It is great fun, full of detail and captures something of the flavour of the two very different sides slogging their way through this city as huge casualties mount up.

It is one of the best games I've played, worth getting, in my opinion, if the subject matter interests you.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tyson
United States
Landing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peso Pete wrote:
The reprint by Excalibur has cleared up the map errata as well as integrating the rules errata into the rules, but they had the good sense to leave this game alone and not jigger with the system (something I wish Decision Games would learn from and stop re-designing the SPI games).


My understanding from reading Consimworld, is that the map does not incorporate errata, and is a straight reprint of the SPI map. Maybe I'm reading it wrong (wouldn't be the first time!), but there appear to be updates that one can print out and place on the map to make it more historically accurate.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Biosphere wrote:
I've bought and played the game. The map is excellent, the counters well produced and the rulebook very comprehensive. The gameplay is very non-symetrical and takes a game turn or two to get used to. However, once it got going I found the game to be an absolute joy to play. It is great fun, full of detail and captures something of the flavour of the two very different sides slogging their way through this city as huge casualties mount up.

It is one of the best games I've played, worth getting, in my opinion, if the subject matter interests you.


Have you played solitaire? Who does the system flows?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RobTys wrote:
Peso Pete wrote:
The reprint by Excalibur has cleared up the map errata as well as integrating the rules errata into the rules, but they had the good sense to leave this game alone and not jigger with the system (something I wish Decision Games would learn from and stop re-designing the SPI games).


My understanding from reading Consimworld, is that the map does not incorporate errata, and is a straight reprint of the SPI map. Maybe I'm reading it wrong (wouldn't be the first time!), but there appear to be updates that one can print out and place on the map to make it more historically accurate.


Where csn I find that errata?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
olivier R
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
I think it is on page 26 and 30 in the supplement booklet. Or maybe Rob is talking about something else because there are no map overlays here.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, the rulebook mentions some errata regarding map (which I did not find SO important) and - if I remember right, a few units.

Nevertheless, I hope they do a pdf of the rules. I like to mark stuff and write notes or very important rules on the pages in short form (that's the main reason why I don't like glossy paper).

All in all I also prefer a straight reprint (if the game was not fatally flawed in the beginning) than some "updating" of certain parts that then lead to more problems than before (what DG has done before as someone metioned before).

This game is a good example for a straight reprint. I'm glad that is available again and that I can play it.

If SOMEONE would create a Vassal mod (and I hope Excalibre has nothing 'gainst it).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alphawolf wrote:
Yep, the rulebook mentions some errata regarding map (which I did not find SO important) and - if I remember right, a few units.

Nevertheless, I hope they do a pdf of the rules. I like to mark stuff and write notes or very important rules on the pages in short form (that's the main reason why I don't like glossy paper).

All in all I also prefer a straight reprint (if the game was not fatally flawed in the beginning) then some "updating" of certain parts that then lead to more problems than before (why DG has done before as someone metioned before).

This game is a good example for a straight reprint. I'm glad that is available again and that I can play it.

If SOMEONE would create a Vassal mod (and I hope Excalibre has nothing 'gainst it).


I would like the rules in pdf and the Vassal module too...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
...another vote for a Vassal module please Excalibre...if you commit to this I hereby promise to buy a copy of the reprint even though I have the old SPI original...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alphawolf wrote:
Skimming thru my copy of the game from what I understand (can't compare it) it is a straight reprint from the old edition.

What I personally hate with this reprint are the glossy rulebooks.

All in all the game is good and I like it so far (still going thru the rules and doing my first steps in the game - more to follow around christmas).

Hope there will be a Vassal - mod soon.


If it had a vassal mod ... I buy it right this moment.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jeb123 wrote:
Alphawolf wrote:
Skimming thru my copy of the game from what I understand (can't compare it) it is a straight reprint from the old edition.

What I personally hate with this reprint are the glossy rulebooks.

All in all the game is good and I like it so far (still going thru the rules and doing my first steps in the game - more to follow around christmas).

Hope there will be a Vassal - mod soon.


If it had a vassal mod ... I buy it right this moment.


I will email Excalibre to know if they are prepparing the vassal module.
Let´s hope there will be good new...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Borrows
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
psicoserra wrote:
Biosphere wrote:
I've bought and played the game. The map is excellent, the counters well produced and the rulebook very comprehensive. The gameplay is very non-symetrical and takes a game turn or two to get used to. However, once it got going I found the game to be an absolute joy to play. It is great fun, full of detail and captures something of the flavour of the two very different sides slogging their way through this city as huge casualties mount up.

It is one of the best games I've played, worth getting, in my opinion, if the subject matter interests you.


Have you played solitaire? Who does the system flows?


I played the game solitaire and it plays exceptionally well that way. Because of the chit system to see if the German turn is interrupted to allow the Russians some (limited) moves/attacks, the game is in constant flux, switching from one side to the other. There are no hidden units, no FOW, nothing that needs to be hidden from one side or the other. It is very thoughtful game in that as the German player you have to bring your powerful but still too limited forces to bear. Each time the enemy moves next the opposing sides unnused units (used units are flipped over) you can launch instant counter attacks. This leads to great plans getting stopped in their tracks or unexpected breakthroughs. Each time the German attacks you take a chit to see if the Russians get to move. Initiative switches back and forth this way.

The game shows the real slog the Germans had as they make initial easy gains only to get bogged down as the (weak) Russian reinforcements arrive turn after turn and shore up their defences. The Russians rarely have enough good units to mount an attack and when I did they lost much needed units. For the Russians it's best to defend and watch the Germans lose units they deseprately need.

I can recommed this game, it's one of the best in my collection, deeply satisfying and thorougly enjoyable.
7 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
psicoserra wrote:
jeb123 wrote:
Alphawolf wrote:
Skimming thru my copy of the game from what I understand (can't compare it) it is a straight reprint from the old edition.

What I personally hate with this reprint are the glossy rulebooks.

All in all the game is good and I like it so far (still going thru the rules and doing my first steps in the game - more to follow around christmas).

Hope there will be a Vassal - mod soon.


If it had a vassal mod ... I buy it right this moment.


I will email Excalibre to know if they are prepparing the vassal module.
Let´s hope there will be good new...


Direct them to this topic too. And we all sing together:

"Give us a Vassal mod whoo hoo hoooooo..."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Biosphere wrote:
psicoserra wrote:
Biosphere wrote:
I've bought and played the game. The map is excellent, the counters well produced and the rulebook very comprehensive. The gameplay is very non-symetrical and takes a game turn or two to get used to. However, once it got going I found the game to be an absolute joy to play. It is great fun, full of detail and captures something of the flavour of the two very different sides slogging their way through this city as huge casualties mount up.

It is one of the best games I've played, worth getting, in my opinion, if the subject matter interests you.


Have you played solitaire? Who does the system flows?


I played the game solitaire and it plays exceptionally well that way. Because of the chit system to see if the German turn is interrupted to allow the Russians some (limited) moves/attacks, the game is in constant flux, switching from one side to the other. There are no hidden units, no FOW, nothing that needs to be hidden from one side or the other. It is very thoughtful game in that as the German player you have to bring your powerful but still too limited forces to bear. Each time the enemy moves next the opposing sides unnused units (used units are flipped over) you can launch instant counter attacks. This leads to great plans getting stopped in their tracks or unexpected breakthroughs. Each time the German attacks you take a chit to see if the Russians get to move. Initiative switches back and forth this way.

The game shows the real slog the Germans had as they make initial easy gains only to get bogged down as the (weak) Russian reinforcements arrive turn after turn and shore up their defences. The Russians rarely have enough good units to mount an attack and when I did they lost much needed units. For the Russians it's best to defend and watch the Germans lose units they deseprately need.

I can recommed this game, it's one of the best in my collection, deeply satisfying and thorougly enjoyable.


This is an excellent short description of how the game plays...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess what I got from my wargame Secret Santa?
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.