Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Simplifying the encounter system rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kurt Amacker

New Orleans
Louisiana
msg tools
Just looking for opinions on something I've been pondering. Has anyone tried cutting back on the encounters by, say, only drawing them if a tile with a black arrow comes up, as opposed to every single turn (barring when a white tile comes up, I mean). The wife and I have tried to play through an adventure three times and are always see our HPs whittled down to nothing by the encounters. We'll be chugging along and then the castle's septic system will explode, everyone takes 10 damage and goes back to the beginning, etc. It's not that we don't mind that kind of thing every so often, but it's become less of a fun challenge and more of a persistent annoyance. Anyone tried this? Was it too easy or too uneventful?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could do that, but then there's no pressure for the players to move on with the game. The encounter cards are the closest thing to a time limit that the game has, for the most part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dead_cowboy wrote:
..only drawing them if a tile with a black arrow comes up, as opposed to every single turn (barring when a white tile comes up, I mean).

Your thread title is misleading. I think what you mean is "an easier encounter system". Are you referring to the rule of drawing an encounter card if your hero does not explore? If so, I would suggest this:

- when you do not explore OR when you explore a tile with a white triangle, place a time token beside the encounter deck instead of drawing a card.

- if the time token placed is the 3rd token, discard all tokens and draw a card. If the encounter card is not an Event-Attack or Environment, discard and redraw until you get one.

So you get a slight reprieve and the time tokens function as a sort of doomtrack timer for really nasty encounters although they may still happen on a normal exploration of a black triangle tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Post a session report. I'm guessing you're not exploring the tile edges enough, causing the encounters to rain down on you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Amacker

New Orleans
Louisiana
msg tools
Maybe that's the problem. It feels like we're really getting hammered (and not in the way one does with a bottle of Maker's). Instead of having fun and fighting monsters, we're constantly getting rained on by acid or kidnapped by gremlins or whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's your game.. you can take out all red attack cards if you want...

I too wish there was a way to make it feel like you were in the dungeon without feeling like your were in a absolute, total $#it storm.

Maybe a die roll before drawing an encounter for lack of exploration?

Odd = encounter card, Even = a moment's rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eat2surf wrote:
I too wish there was a way to make it feel like you were in the dungeon without feeling like your were in a absolute, total $#it storm.

You're in Strahd's Crypts - an absolute, total $#it storm is exactly what you are in! If you want to take a nice stroll through some caverns and slay monsters at your leisure pick up Legend of Drizzt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S T
msg tools
mbmb
dead_cowboy wrote:
Maybe that's the problem. It feels like we're really getting hammered (and not in the way one does with a bottle of Maker's). Instead of having fun and fighting monsters, we're constantly getting rained on by acid or kidnapped by gremlins or whatever.

Actually, the bottle of Maker's will help.

The most fun I've ever had playing CR is having a couple of drinks with friends and watching everybody get pissed when the hitpoints just start falling off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I W
msg tools
I believe Legend of Drizzt suffers from exactly the same encounter rules?

ninjadorg wrote:
Eat2surf wrote:

You're in Strahd's Crypts - an absolute, total $#it storm is exactly what you are in! If you want to take a nice stroll through some caverns and slay monsters at your leisure pick up Legend of Drizzt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IPWright83 wrote:
I believe Legend of Drizzt suffers from exactly the same encounter rules?

ninjadorg wrote:
Eat2surf wrote:

The rules are the same, but the encounters are much less relentless in LoD - there are even encounters which have no effect, and the heroes are much tougher too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.