Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was a kid, we always had Campbell's tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches (with the highly rated Velveeta). I moved from Iowa to California when I was 24 and kept the tradition alive in my apartment.

When I was 26 I met my wife to be and went to her house for Christmas eve dinner. Guess what? Her family had always had tomato soup and grilled cheese. Our two sons have moved away but are coming home this year for Christmas. One of the things both boys requested was tomato soup and grilled cheese.

I believe I have now had tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches for at least 55 years in a row on Christmas eve. And next Saturday the tradition continues.

Any other traditional Christmas eve dinners with some staying power?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Scotch and plate of passive aggressive family rage. Usually followed up with a dessert of...oh wait a minute, everyone usually storms out before that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Perogies, Polish Sausage with horseradish and ketchup on the side, deviled eggs, ham, and assorted Christmas cookies and sides.

Traditional Polish/Slavic American Christmas munch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody
Canada
Madeira Park
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
I have no willpower :)
badge
(.ㅅ.) The meaning of life is tuna >'.'<
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Scotch and plate of passive aggressive family rage. Usually followed up with a dessert of...oh wait a minute, everyone usually storms out before that.

Sooo, are you some long lost relative?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ookami Snow
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My dad's side of the family has Caesar salad (with homemade dressing) and shrimp scampi on Christmas Eve. Now that I have married my wife (Italian roots, and our families frequently have Christmas Eve dinner together) we have Caesar salad and pasta with crab sauce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Patterson
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
What were you expecting?
badge
I have overtext 'cause everyone else was doing it.
mbmbmbmbmb
sunshiny wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

Sooo, are you some long lost relative?

No, he just takes part in an almost universal tradition of families gathering together on the holidays just to realize why they all split apart in the first place.

My family? My dad makes eggs. Christmas day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Last week the emails started coming in, fighting about christmas crap.
I told them last year, we should disband and join other families to share the "cheer".

Potica is the only food based tradition we have. I can't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
I moved from Iowa

Where in Iowa? I lived in Iowa City from 2000 till 2008

Orangemoose wrote:

No traditional dinners for Christmas eve, but for my family as a kid that was when the Christmas tree went up and we decorated it. My dad said that way the tree would always last that much longer after Christmas.

To this day I always resist putting up a tree till Christmas eve, but my wife tends to veto me & when my son was still a kid so would he.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Scotch and plate of passive aggressive family rage.

The saying goes; No one knows how to push your buttons like family because they're the ones who installed those buttons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Billythehut wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
I moved from Iowa

Orangemoose wrote:

No traditional dinners for Christmas eve, but for my family as a kid that was when the Christmas tree went up and we decorated it. My dad said that way the tree would always last that much longer after Christmas.

To this day I always resist putting up a tree till Christmas eve, but my wife tends to veto me & when my son was still a kid so would he.

Des Moines from 1953 - 1979 when I made my fateful move to California (met my beautiful bride there) and then to Delaware in 1988. l figure to move to Michigan in 2013 to be near my youngest son. But would move to Iowa in a minute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
Billythehut wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
I moved from Iowa

Orangemoose wrote:

Des Moines from 1953 - 1979 when I made my fateful move to California (met my beautiful bride there) and then to Delaware in 1988. l figure to move to Michigan in 2013 to be near my youngest son. But would move to Iowa in a minute.

Des Moines is great, they've got a decent Art museum, it has a nice Giacometti. I spent some time in CA too, I was in Berkeley in the 90ies.

I moved to IA when my 1st wife became a professor at the UofI, but that marriage crashed & burned that same year. Three years later I met my present wonderful wife, a beautiful Iowa gal. However as nice as IA can be I was happy to move back to Mass where I was born & raised.
My son's grown, & he still lives in IA, but he's flying into Boston for the holidays this week, I've been looking forward to seeing him!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roast Pork
Yuca with Mojo
Black Beans and rice
Bread
Turrones

Food I never ever liked. So, after moving away from family we have started our own Christmas Eve tradition: Churrasco on the grill with lots of yummy bread, wine, love, and good cheer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Christmas was always brunch at my grandparents' house, with ham, eggs, kielbasa, bobka (homemade bread), etc.

New Year's Eve we would stay up until midnight and have a ham sandwich on my grandmother's homemade bread, with Welch's sparkling grape juice.

For New Year's, my grandfather made eggnog with inches of cream, and chili. My grandmother made pierogi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Christmas eve

Tamales (so we are guaranteed to have something to open)
Refried beans
Mexican Rice
Sangria
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Johnson
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This going to sound strange but...
On Christmas Eve we spend all day at my Mom's an hour away, then leave for 5 o'clock church. An hour later we are starving and we haven't been home all day and no one feels like cooking and of course there is nothing open except....Waffle House!
It started out as a last resort, sort of joke, but now the kids (now teenagers)DEMAND we go there every Christmas Eve

At least here in Ohio they banned smoking a couple years ago. (That was always the worst part.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
Roast Pork
Yuca with Mojo
Black Beans and rice
Bread
Turrones

Food I never ever liked. So, after moving away from family we have started our own Christmas Eve tradition: Churrasco on the grill with lots of yummy bread, wine, love, and good cheer.
+1

When I was a kid we had cold sandwiches for Christmas eve dinner. My folks ran two to five ( depending on the year) Card & Gift Shops so by Christmas Eve we were beat. After moving to my own place in 1980, the older couple down the street often invited me to share in their Nochebuena feast with their family. I kept their traditional Roast pork with black beans and rice as my new tradition after I moved to Virginia. I haven't found Yuca in my local Harris-Teeter yet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should add some to my soup and cheese story. The first year I went with my wife to be to her Dad's house for Christmas eve dinner we were late and her Dad was pissed. Something about ruining the grilled cheese sandwiches. The start of a somewhat rocky relationship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a big brick of Velveeta on Friday. I'm having your Christmas eve dinner for lunch today!

Our new-ish traditional Christmas eve meal (7 years running) is tortiere (a French-Canadian meat pie) and mashed potatoes w/ butter.
I first had tortiere when I was 14 y.o., and on a French language student exchange trip, to Jonquiere, Quebec. The tortiere that we had there was made with rabbit (these days it's almost exclusively made with hamburger) and OMG was it ever delicious!

Oddly, like many more people than I thouught there would be here, we have perogies as well-- only as a Christmas dinner side dish. That's right; turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy and perogies on the same plate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
teejay wrote:
This going to sound strange but...
On Christmas Eve we spend all day at my Mom's an hour away, then leave for 5 o'clock church. An hour later we are starving and we haven't been home all day and no one feels like cooking and of course there is nothing open except....Waffle House!
It started out as a last resort, sort of joke, but now the kids (now teenagers)DEMAND we go there every Christmas Eve

At least here in Ohio they banned smoking a couple years ago. (That was always the worst part.)

On the day before Easter, my grandparents would take us to their church to bless the baskets, and then we would go to Kentucky Fried Chicken. The first time Sam and I went to KFC together, I told him it reminded me of my grandparents and Easter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
I see a world that's tired and scared of living on the edge too long.
mbmbmbmbmb
We've adopted my wife's family tradition of surf and turf. The exact composition varies from year to year, but there's usually three rounds of different seafood dishes followed by steak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Christmas is my birthday and we almost never had guests for Christmas. My parents thought it best to make sure I got to really celebrate my birthday the same way everyone else in our house house did on theirs. So, my choice was always the big turkey dinner on Christmas Eve. Then, my favorite turkey and stuffing sandwiches for lunch on Christmas and my choice for birthday dinner.

It was always beef fondue with a dessert of Christmas cookies and Chocolate fondue.

Yumm!!!

-Helen

PS. Nowadays, we always seem to be on the road on Christmas Eve, so it's diner food. Meh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When my brother and I were young, my mother would make Ham for Christmas Eve and Turkey for Christmas. You were either eating ham and turkey for weeks afterwards. One year, my brother and I, being little smartasses, protested. My mother, eventually, told us we can decide what we're having Christmas Eve and she decides Christmas. We didn't believe her so. . . we choose Krystals.

We've now had Krystals on Christmas Eve for over 28 years. . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.