Klip Twings
msg tools

This pic is the "burst" pic on page 24 of the rules. I assume it shows the range of a "Burst 1" effect -- which includes a range of 1, but ALSO an extra range of contact squares. So, "Burst 1" is effectively "Burst 2," because it has a range of 1, but also effects any models touching the outside of that range (or, what I'm calling "contact squares").

I assume the burst pic is showing an illustration of "Burst 1" because, comparing the burst pic to other AoE pics on the following pages of the rule book, not all AoE types have these greyed squares, or contact squares. Cross, Spray, Sweep, Wave, and Aura have them. Lance, Compel and Pull don't.

So, this seems like a really inefficient little addition to the rules, considering -- if Burst 1 is suppose to affect a range of 2, they COULD have just called it Burst 2 -- and not included the complication of some AoE's effecting contact squares, and others not.

In fact, I'm considering ignoring these "contact squares" in my games, just so we don't have to look it up every time, and considering AoE effects seem generally overpowered anyways. Would this be a mistake on my part? Or am I misreading this whole thing to begin with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Caughmann
msg tools
You are over-thinking it. Burst 1 just means it affects the targeted monster, then anything within 1 space of it.

The way I interpret the "grayed out" spaces is they are just trying to illustrate how the range would grow with a larger burst value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klip Twings
msg tools
thetang22 wrote:

The way I interpret the "grayed out" spaces is they are just trying to illustrate how the range would grow with a larger burst value.

Okay, so you're thinking they wanted to illustrate how a range would grow with larger values, and for some silly reason they just decided to illustrate this with only half the AoE pics.

So the pic they are showing to illustrate burst REALLY is an illustration of "Burst 2"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Caughmann
msg tools
klip_twings wrote:
[q="thetang22"]So the pic they are showing to illustrate burst REALLY is an illustration of "Burst 2"

Just look at it this way: the bright blue area represents what a Burst 1 would be...the Burst 2 would be the bright blue area + the grayed out area. (based on targeting the center monster)

Do you understand now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klip Twings
msg tools
thetang22 wrote:
klip_twings wrote:
[q="thetang22"]So the pic they are showing to illustrate burst REALLY is an illustration of "Burst 2"

Just look at it this way: the bright blue area represents what a Burst 1 would be...the Burst 2 would be the bright blue area + the grayed out area. (based on targeting the center monster)

Do you understand now?

Yeah, makes sense. Thanks for the help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klip Twings
msg tools
jwreschnig wrote:
klip_twings wrote:
thetang22 wrote:

Okay, so you're thinking they wanted to illustrate how a range would grow with larger values, and for some silly reason they just decided to illustrate this with only half the AoE pics.

Actually all the AoE pictures but Lance have the grayed out range examples - I assume because it's totally obvious how Lance grows.

Yeah, I was also looking at Compel, Pull, and Push -- even though they aren't AoE's that result in damage, but AoE's for different movement related effects.

EDIT: Err, or more specifically, Compel, Pull, and Push have an AoE type of range, which is variable, from which you can choose your target.

Bleh. In other words: dey had pics dat looked like AoE's an' i wuz cornfuzin' meself. I am da smart. S-M-R-T S-M-R-T

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klip Twings
msg tools
jwreschnig wrote:
Only Pull has a range by default.

The first example they give is Range 6, Compel 3 - the Range 6 is what gives it range; the Compel 3 means move 3 spaces. A "Compel 3" by itself would mean you can move only an adjacent unit up to three spaces. The Push example is an adjacent target for that reason.

There's no relation between control effects and AoEs, except they both use diagrams of the board to show how they work.

Point taken. Thanks for taking the time to clarify that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you compel a target through a wall? Because the picture shows the compel range going through a wall, which I imagined was impossible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.