Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Ivar T.
Norway
Ålesund
Møre og Romsdal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I already knew that this was a sort of game I would like to play. That is why I supported the Kickstarter campaign for this game. This week I recieved my reward for this and was eager to open the package.
So I did and went forward with a Solo-test of 4 players (trying to keep 4 different strategies in one brain). When finished I was satisfied (I only did one mistake: playing with 6 pawns per player and not 5), the game seemed to play as well as I had hoped.

Thinking it through: the game plays alot like Caylus with worker placement, resource gathering and the fact that all players are building on a common building.
The first thing that is different from Caylus and other games is that if you want to claim one of the bonus spaces you have to place all your remaining pawns on that space. And also the placement phase does not stop there, the other players continue to place their pawns. So it may be a waste to do it too soon, but sometimes it really is necessary.
Not being first in line in the building phase may mean that the building you were hoping to build is being built by another player, in worst case leaving you with a pile of resources you cannot use (luckily you keep them for next round). And if you were planning your resources accurately to build a building, suddenly there came thieves, taxes or tributes to make them dwindle away (fortune cards may be unfortunate for your opponents).

And so to the contents:
The artwork is nice, the board and cards is of good quality. The rules are in a nice A5-format booklet (coloured and glossy).
The pieces are nice and wooden, but something could have been better:
- The green food-cubes are almost the same colour as the green players pieces. It should have been possible to find another colour for one of them.
- The brown wood-cubes are a bit too brown for my taste, some of the sides seems almost black in dim light (and we have the black player pieces).
- The copper-cubes are nice, but the orange colour does not match the more reddish ones printed on the game board and cards (but that would possibly make them too similart to the red player pieces).
- The buildings are a real disappointment. Even the game rules pictures those nice houses (as found in Settlers or Caylus), and the building sites on the board fits those houses. But for some reason they have changed those with small pieces the size of half a resource cube. So small they are difficult both to spot and to handle.
- The turn order and scoring tokens are also smaller than in some of the prototypes shown in some of the pictures, but that is not a problem if you don't find it annoying that the turn order circles are bigger than the tokens.

The inside of the box has no compartments for the cards (only one large compartment for everything). The pieces came in one ziplock-bag, but I already found a second bag to separate the resources from the rest of the pieces. The insertion that the folded game board rests on (above the compartment) is a bit too wide for the board (so that the board falls down on one of the sides (leaving it diagonally) if the box is tilted, with the result that the lid won't fit on properly). That is strange, but it is only details...

Conclusion: good game, disappointing buildings...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip duBarry
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your positive comments--I'm glad you like the game! You are absolutely correct about the houses. I am disappointed about this, too. Ludofact was indeed supposed to put in real "house" pieces. Instead, for an unspecified reason, they gave us little blocks. My deepest apologies. I hope you can enjoy the game despite this flaw.

Thanks,
Philip
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know LudoFact is typically the A+ type of manufacturer, and I know they're currently swamped from another manufacturer closing, but missing 6 tokens, smallish blocks instead of nice houses, and the longish delay... That kind of sucks.

Any possibility that they give you the houses at a later date so you can distribute them to everyone? Or getting the tokens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
No new bits won't be forth coming and even though we paid a premium for this game (same as many games with much larger components) LUDO FACT insists they underbid the latest 3 games (they let our rep go and blah blah blah...) and won't offer any consolation for the screw up or delays.

I won't bore you all with details of running a company. We're sorry the bits are smaller then expected - but they are certainly usable. If the game sells well enough to get another print run that's when we could address any upgrading of bits and replacing older purchases.

I do repeat though the game is still of top quality bits and plays fine with what you get in the box. The bits are just a bit smaller then we'd have liked.

Thanks for your support!
James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yellohat
Germany
Emmerich am Rhein
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review!

I also like this game a lot, you can read a review from my hand here.

And I also agree on the disappointing small size of the houses and the similarity of the green cubes. Of course you can still play it, still I am considering purchasing some game components to make it even look better.
I considered purchasing purple pawns to replace the green pawns and houses and bigger sized disks for all player colors. Then I also wanted twelve white disks as my copy misses the temple tokens and I use cent coins instead. But when I saw the purchase price then was close to ten euro, including sending and handling, I declined.
I think I will upgrade my Kingdom of Solomon at a convention where I hope to find a few cheaper bits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan James
United States
Covington
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
ravinck wrote:
But when I saw the purchase price ... including sending and handling, I declined.

That's exactly what the publisher said!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yellohat
Germany
Emmerich am Rhein
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NJames wrote:
ravinck wrote:
But when I saw the purchase price ... including sending and handling, I declined.

That's exactly what the publisher said!

I informed at a third party.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Kiley
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The buildings are not a big deal.

I'm still gonna give it a try. I like the theme too much, and I've heard only good things about the gameplay so far. Plus, about two-thirds of my games only have cubes anyways. I have cube-shaped dinosaurs; cube-shaped people; cube-shaped crops; even cube-shaped paints. So, I'm not gonna hold cube-shaped buildings against this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy hammond
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So should kickstarter people be getting their copies soon? i thought an email with address confirmation was coming first? i've got nothing of the sort.

its very disappointing about the components, i know its not that big of a deal unless you really like your games and want it to look superb. its not fun to have a great game (i've played the print and play version and really liked it), but the components are not up to par.

thanks, and can't wait to get my copy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will send out the survey for addresses as soon as I know they stuff is at the warehouse and mine are being shipped to our building. There is no point in getting the data earlier as some people move. Problem is, the delivery that was to have the first batch was supposed to be in NY on the 19th but has to go several places on it's way and there are many companies closed down till the 2nd of Jan. So I hope to have them on their way to me this week with any luck.

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whattheproblemis wrote:
I know LudoFact is typically the A+ type of manufacturer, and I know they're currently swamped from another manufacturer closing, but missing 6 tokens, smallish blocks instead of nice houses, and the longish delay... That kind of sucks.

Any possibility that they give you the houses at a later date so you can distribute them to everyone? Or getting the tokens?

I know the fanboys on here love to rave about German printers and printing, but has anyone ever heard of a Chinese printer telling their customers to pound sand as Ludo has in this case?

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CovertDad wrote:
I know the fanboys on here love to rave about German printers and printing, but has anyone ever heard of a Chinese printer telling their customers to pound sand as Ludo has in this case?
ninja

Yes much more often and much more dramatic. My shipment of Those Pesky Humans for example had damage on the ship - yet they wouldn't cover any of it or go after the shipper or anything. $1000 of product down the tubes. They wrote and misprinted and screwed up many of our original line and we were only ever told they'd give a discount on future orders.

In short, while I do not feel I was treated well at LUDO this year, I was treated better then most China companies would have treated us. LUDO had some issues and valid reasons for their issues.

Of course none of that helps you the customer or me the publisher.

Oh well. Live and learn.
James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.