Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering if primer is necessary for these ships, as they already have a color close to what I'd use as the basecoat anyway. Has anyone had problems in general painting this type of plastic without primer? I think I'd use a black wash to draw out the details, drybrush the appropriate hull color (lighter grey for older ships), then do the fine details last (lights, warp nacelles, etc.) Has anyone done something like this yet, and did you have good results?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
designer
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
mbmbmbmbmb
I primed my fed ships white and my klingon ones black as a timesaver to avoid painting them with white or black basecoats. I find that primer is faster (mask them, stick them on a sheet of cardboard & spray), goes on thinner and just guarantees that the paint will stick.

I'm pretty sure a number of the painted ships in the images section were done without primer, so your intended process will probably work fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tested primer vs no primer on my two broken ships (both Klingon). It works fine, but using a white primer helps bring out the colours a bit. On the other hand, if you want to use a wash + dry brush technique, you'd probably want to prime them as I'm not sure diluted paint would stick to the plastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I explained the painting strategy I used here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1139640/star-trek-fleet-c...

I did paint two ships without primer before I started priming them. Depending on the colors you are using, you can definitely get away without priming them. Though, once I discovered the white spray primer + black wash trick for the Fed ships, it ironically saved me a lot of time painting them compared to not using any primer.

Best of luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As another quick note, using primer will increase the life of the paint jobs as well. Paint will be less likely to flake off or scratch off, as the primer gives it more purchase on the surface. I also used a spray matte sealer on my ships as well, as I didn't want to ever have to go back and touch up the paint jobs.

BUT, I'm used to painting miniatures for games like Blood Bowl that are 'tough' on the minis, since you are constantly laying the prone and standing them back up and such. Even unprimed and unsealed, I think these game pieces would have a lot of life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always seal everything with 2 dips in acrylic floor wax, 24 hours apart, followed by a light coat of matte spray sealant to take the gloss off. I've always primed as well because I've been told it's what you should always do, but I'm starting to wonder if it's necessary with plastics.

Has anyone considered priming black and skipping the black wash, instead going straight from priming to drybrushing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpoDaddy wrote:

Has anyone considered priming black and skipping the black wash, instead going straight from priming to drybrushing?

I have. I may just be a sloppy drybrusher, but I find I always need to go back with black wash anyways to touch up places where I drybrushed color into cracks or crevices.

Primer makes a really big difference. I think on these ships you can get away with skipping it, depending on what kind of end result you're hoping for, but for any other plastic miniature-painting I've found primer makes it a lot easier, makes things look much better, and helps the paint job last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'm also planning to paint my ships, but I have no experience in doing so, yet. Someone told me, instead of using primer, since the models are already in the right base-color, that I could just use some terpentine/thinner to clean (and roughen?) the surface and then proceed with the actual paint. But before I do that, I wanted to ask: Is that a safe procedure? I would not want to damage my ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone?

(sorry for the double post =/ )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the time or eyesight these days for painting so I'm picking up the equivalent ST Tactics ships and making up stat cards for each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.