Popular Tags: [View All]
Wayne Hitchcock
Taiwan
Tanzih
Taichung County
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The game was play tested today in Taichung City with myself, Jim Liu, and Jordan Williams in attendance.

First Mandate
The game began with me winning a minority in the House of Commons. Jim became the opposition leader, and Jordan - as the player with the fewest MPs - was appointed Governor General.

As Jim and Jordan got to perform their player actions ahead of me, they locked me out of Atlantic Canada and Central Canada, which meant I could only draw my cards from The Northwest. I had ignored The Northwest during setup, and paid for it now. Having placed only 1 Popularity in the region, I was only able to draw one card each round.

I started the game without any bonuses from my political leader (Hugh Guthrie), so I spent a couple rounds replacing my politician. I finally ended up with Sir John A. Macdonald, who was promptly removed when Jim played the Assassination event card.

At this time not many event cards were being played. However, we avoided having the USA annex the Northwest Territories when Jordan played the Whiskey Trade event card.

Jim's influence among the various constituencies was fairly even, but Jordan and I polarized quickly once I played the Northwest Rebellion. Jordan drew his support from Anglophones, while I drew mine from Francophones.

The Northwest Rebellion ended quickly, and I was able to gain 2 Victoria Crosses and a minor achievement.

During parliament we managed to create the provinces of Alberta and Manitoba.

At the end of the mandate, Jordan appointed Jim as the new Governor General. Who promptly gave himself most of the vacant Senate seats, and the Plurality in the Senate achievement (He threw two senate seats my way hoping I would support him in parliament in the future).

Second Mandate
The second election gave us a Jordan majority government. Jim was routed in most parts of the country, returning only 28 MPs. Jordan grabbed 100 seats, and I ended up as Leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition by holding on to 65 seats in the House of Commons.

This round saw more event cards being played. With the help of the Canadian Pacific Railway event, Jordan was able to bring British Columbia into Confederation. He also managed to create Saskatchewan with my support in the Senate. However, most of the legislation was sent back to the Privy Council when Jordan used his majority in the House of Commons to defeat Jim's and mine. We in turn joined forces to defeat Jordan's in the Senate.

The First World War came into play at the end of the mandate, but at this time Jim had to go, so the game ended without anyone achieving a winning condition. Jordan was ahead, however, with 1 Major Achievement (Majority in the House of Commons) and 1 minor achievement (most legislation passed by parliament).

Jim and I each had 1 minor achievement (Plurality in the Senate and most Victoria Crosses, respectively).

Jim took some pictures of our play test session. Unfortunately, they contain some glare and would probably not be approved for submission to BGG. So, here is a link for those who would like to see them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I hope this game gets published!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Hitchcock
Taiwan
Tanzih
Taichung County
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been working with a publisher on this.

I had included party policies and voter expectations, but I could never get them to work. So, I pulled them out, play tested some more, found more bugs in the rules, and kept working at it until now.

This last play test has shown that in spite of a couple things that need tweaking, I now have a game ready for a publisher's consideration.

The publisher is interested in it, and it will be submitted in early January. Who knows? Maybe we'll see it at Essen next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.