Eclipse» Forums » Rules

Subject: A couple clarifications regarding battle needed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcin Mościcki
msg tools
Where is Ishtar's nipple??!
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Are reputation tokens drawn after each battle or after all battles on a hex are completed? How many tokens do I draw for participation if I was part of several battles on a hex?

2. Can I attack population if no battle was fought on a hex, i.e. only my ships where present?

3. The rules say that after battle phase I can place an influence disk on every hex with my ships (and no influence disks) after battle phase. Does it include disks on which no battle was fought and retreated ships?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Swiatkowski
Poland
Wroclaw
flag msg tools
schizoferret wrote:
1. Are reputation tokens drawn after each battle or after all battles on a hex are completed? How many tokens do I draw for participation if I was part of several battles on a hex?

Maximum 5 tokens - rule says that You draw 1 token for one or more participations in battles on one hex (page 21 - reputation tokens)

schizoferret wrote:

2. Can I attack population if no battle was fought on a hex, i.e. only my ships where present?

Yes You can, but You don't draw a reputation tokens. You can only destroy (by attacking or removing thanks to Neutron Bombs) population's markers and if all are destroyed You can then put Your influence disc on hex and (if You have available colony ship tiles) put Your possible population's markers on it.

schizoferret wrote:

3. The rules say that after battle phase I can place an influence disk on every hex with my ships (and no influence disks) after battle phase. Does it include disks on which no battle was fought and retreated ships?

I don't know what you mean indeed, but I'll try to guess. So You can put Your influence disc on hex (after battle) only when Your minimum one ship remained on that hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sampo Sikiö
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
designer
it's no secret that the stars are falling from the sky / it's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight / they say the sun is sometimes eclipsed by a moon / you know i don't see you when she walks in the room
badge
Shapers of Dorado
mbmbmbmbmb
schizoferret wrote:

1. After all battles on a hex are completed. You draw 1 Reputation Tile for participation. See rules, page 21: "After all battles in a hex have been resolved, each involved player draws Reputation Tiles from the bag as follows: 1 tile for taking part in one or more battles"

2. Yes.

3. If I understand your question correctly -- can you place a disc on an empty hex where your ship retreated during a battle? No, since you cannot retreat to an empty hex; there must be your disc already. See page 20, Retreat: "to a neighboring hex where you have an Influence Disc and which has no enemy Ships"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Mościcki
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for replies!
kilgore wrote:

3. If I understand your question correctly -- can you place a disc on an empty hex where your ship retreated during a battle? No, since you cannot retreat to an empty hex; there must be your disc already. See page 20, Retreat: "to a neighboring hex where you have an Influence Disc and which has no enemy Ships"

And if no battle was fought? The rules are formulated something like this: 'after the battle phase, on each hex you have your ships, you can place an influence disc, if there's none'. It doesn't specify that a battle had to be fought there, but this would make the influence action not that needed, wouldn't it?

I haven't played the game yet, I just read the rules and try to get them straight before first play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Vogelzang
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
This was answered unambiguously in other threads:
Yes, after the combat phase you may put an influence disk in a sector containing your ships and no influence disk. It is not required that a battle was fought there this round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Autio
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
Gina, Escher gang leader (Necromunda). Don't mess with her or she'll kick your ass.. actually, she's gonna do it anyway!
mbmbmbmbmb
schizoferret wrote:
Thanks for replies!
kilgore wrote:

And if no battle was fought? The rules are formulated something like this: 'after the battle phase, on each hex you have your ships, you can place an influence disc, if there's none'. It doesn't specify that a battle had to be fought there, but this would make the influence action not that needed, wouldn't it?

I haven't played the game yet, I just read the rules and try to get them straight before first play.

Yes, the rule is quite clear: if you have ships in an uncontrolled hex at the end of the combat phase, you may place a disc there. If you have ships in an enemy-controlled hex at the end of the combat phase you may attack (or bomb) the population and replace their disc with your own if successful. Neither case requires that there has been a battle in those hexes. The rulebook simply says "after battle" because these effects are resolved only after all battles (if any) are fought.

Oh, and the Influnce action has plenty of other uses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Mościcki
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thanks. I Hope to play the game before Xmass!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håvard Sommerseth
Norway
Kløfta
Kløfta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aautio wrote:
schizoferret wrote:
Thanks for replies!
kilgore wrote:

Yes, the rule is quite clear: if you have ships in an uncontrolled hex at the end of the combat phase, you may place a disc there. If you have ships in an enemy-controlled hex at the end of the combat phase you may attack (or bomb) the population and replace their disc with your own if successful. Neither case requires that there has been a battle in those hexes. The rulebook simply says "after battle" because these effects are resolved only after all battles (if any) are fought.

But if you move into an enemy controlled hex and destroy the population and take over the hex, does that count as taking part of a battle for reputation purposes. Will you the be drawing a reputation tile? We played it that way last night but not sure if it's supposed to be that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Autio
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
Gina, Escher gang leader (Necromunda). Don't mess with her or she'll kick your ass.. actually, she's gonna do it anyway!
mbmbmbmbmb
hasoere wrote:
aautio wrote:
schizoferret wrote:
Thanks for replies!
kilgore wrote:

But if you move into an enemy controlled hex and destroy the population and take over the hex, does that count as taking part of a battle for reputation purposes. Will you the be drawing a reputation tile? We played it that way last night but not sure if it's supposed to be that way.

No. Attacking Population cubes is not a battle and will give you no Reputation. Only glorious space battles between massive interstellar fleets (ie. ships) are remembered, not the petty operations where said fleets mop away the local system fleets, planetary defence forces (ie. cubes).. not to mention effects on the local civilian population that gets to be assimilated under the new order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håvard Sommerseth
Norway
Kløfta
Kløfta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aautio wrote:
hasoere wrote:
aautio wrote:
schizoferret wrote:
Thanks for replies!
kilgore wrote:

No. Attacking Population cubes is not a battle and will give you no Reputation. Only glorious space battles between massive interstellar fleets (ie. ships) are remembered, not the petty operations where said fleets mop away the local system fleets, planetary defence forces (ie. cubes).. not to mention effects on the local civilian population that gets to be assimilated under the new order.

Aha, that makes sense thematically. Thanks for the quick reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.