Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Plourde
Canada
Windsor
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hey guys, I'm looking for an empire building game, that would work well with 2 player, to play mainly with my girlfriend. Something on the scale of a city building, not territory management. She likes Stone age, agricola, finca, Oregon and the likes. I would like to introduce her to something slightly heavier, as I think she is ready and she likes to play. She also like to play Age of empire on the computer, but I don't know if the board game would not work well enough with 2 players. Maybe Cuba would be what I am looking for, but I would like some suggestions. Not based on direct conflict, with exploration, ressources gathering and expansion. I also thought maybe FFG's Warcraft would be nice but she doesn't like the theme.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Cyborganizer
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization fit the bill? Empire building, no territory management, not based on direct conflict. No exploration, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DigitalMan
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization is a good recommendation, but I don't have any recommendations which seem precisely to fit your request.

Navegador comes to mind, as does Macao and A Castle for All Seasons.

Hmmm... maybe Vasco da Gama...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
12th BGG CCE open!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Antiquity, but you missed the recent reprint.

La Città, perhaps

Brass: Lancashire, perhaps - we just use fewer cards with 2p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Castles of Burgundy
Belfort
Troyes
Caylus
Carson City- Deep and fun at the same time. Not that the others aren't fun. But the theme and fighting (shooting) gives this a light hearted feel though the game is deep. Best part is it plays in about 60 min (4 rounds and that's it)

Not sure how good the theme is for Belfort or Castles of Burgundy, the rest it is a standard Euro with the intent of building the city or fort or whatever. Bottom line though is VP race
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Windsor
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TTA - story of civilization might be a bit too long. Carson City, this looks surprisingly close. Thanks everyone, I'm looking at every suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
While not fulfilling all your requirements, Uruk: Wiege der Zivilisation is worth looking at.

Good luck with your search!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest ...

Kingsburg ... The king has left each of you with a province to develop ... clever use of dice that are rolled as workers to aquire the resources needed to build the buildings you want to gain the most victory points. Colorful, 2-4 players, fun, easy to learn, takes about an hour for two players. My wife really likes this one and does quite well at my expense. Buy the expansion for more building choices and a somewhat deeper experience.

Good luck with your quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Windsor
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kythrid wrote:
I suggest ...

Kingsburg ... The king has left each of you with a province to develop ... clever use of dice that are rolled as workers to aquire the resources needed to build the buildings you want to gain the most victory points. Colorful, 2-4 players, fun, easy to learn, takes about an hour for two players. My wife really likes this one and does quite well at my expense. Buy the expansion for more building choices and a somewhat deeper experience.

Good luck with your quest.

looks like this and Caylus are close. thanks for the help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Caylus. Probably my favourite heavy euro.
+1 for The Castles of Burgundy. It's long and not very pretty, but plays great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.