Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in this situation where I only had a foot man in my hand. I got attacked, and of course lost. Since my opponent knew I did not have any units in my hand, he kept attacking and captured 3-4 cities which leaved me completely homeless.

This is just extremely cheap. My suggestion is that if you get attacked and you do not have any units in hand, you draw a card from the top of your deck. If it's a unit, you can add it to you combat force. You can continue to do this until you draw a non-unit card.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you have the Footman and 4 gold or something?

Did you redraw up to 5 at the end of every player's turn *and* after facing the event? I know the first time I played I didn't realize you could do that and had lots of turns where I could do just about nothing to stop an attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I had 4 gold and 1 foot man. I was attacked multiple times by the same player on the same turn. I only draw at the end of the turn. So impossible to get new cards between battles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's interesting how you keep tweaking and changing exactly the things I like about particular games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Beakley
United States
Tempe
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You got outhustled, amigo. Change your play, not the game.

Sometimes you lose all your stuff. And so what? They chose to go after your stuff and not your home realm, be happy (assuming you weren't playing the Monument scenario). Take it all back next time. Besides, 4 gold in hand is a very nice door prize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Shepherdson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the rules stated that you cannot attack the same target more than once per turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean that is actually a good thing that I lose all my cities in 1 turn because I was not lucky enough to draw any unit?

We were not attacking each other's strong hold (even if we could) but in the same situation, a player could have killed me instantly if he had enough strength in it's hand? This is just plain cheap, you die in 1 turn because of luck. (in our game: (dragon lord) each realm accumulated up to 8-10 damage from an event card that gives 2 damage per turn. So an instant kill with a hand of 10-14 would have been easily possible).

Else, I could suggest adding the possibility to add garrison units that can only be used in defense. They would be unit cards set aside which must be used when attacked. Maybe the nb of garrisoned unit could be at most the highest influence of your strongest city (so 1 to 3).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why don't you build your deck with more units? The other guy probably did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Beakley
United States
Tempe
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you were so concerned about keeping your cities, why didn't you keep some fighting strength back? If you had the cities, you had the influence to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You try to buy units and upgrade your gold. But if it's possible to draw a bad hand, you will eventually draw a bad hand.

As for keeping cards, most of the time, unless you are simply buying cards, you need all your cards to accomplish something. So there is around 1 turn out of 2 or 3 that I can actually afford to keep some cards.

I don't mind losing my strongest city because I had a bad hand. I can live with that. But simply losing everything is a bit too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Beakley
United States
Tempe
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well...I'm not sure what else there is to say about that. Sometimes it happens! But you'd need to have NOTHING, your opponent would have to believe you have NOTHING, and then yeah, he'd be able to snipe away one non-reinforced city for each unit in hand. Or reinforced, if he drew up dragons or whatever. But if he's drawing dragons on Manticores or whatever on you, you have waaaay bigger problems than losing your cities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
But you'd need to have NOTHING, your opponent would have to believe you have NOTHING

From what I remember, you can only attack the strong hold once per turn right?. So a player need to attack one of your city to see that there is no resistance and then attack your strong hold with 4 cards which can deal a pretty good blow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
But attacking the city is risky, too. It weakens your hand, and the other player MIGHT have a good defense and is just willing to sacrifice the city to protect the stronghold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.