Beau No last name
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings,

Two quick questions:

1) Is there a minimum number of cards you must have in your deck?

2) When the encounter deck runs out it is reshuffled, but if the players deck runs out do you reshuffle or are you just out of luck?

Thanks for the help!

- Raider30

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
Raider30 wrote:
1) Is there a minimum number of cards you must have in your deck?

For tournaments there is a 50 card minimum. If you only have one core set and aren't playing in a tournament, I suggest you use a 30 card minimum instead.

Quote:
2) When the encounter deck runs out it is reshuffled, but if the players deck runs out do you reshuffle or are you just out of luck?

You are out of luck unless you have the spirit card Will of the West which allows one player to shuffle their discard pile back into their deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
snailien
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
1) I've got to nitpick a little here. This question comes up from time to time and there isn't really a general consensus. It's pretty much split between two groups.

One group says you have to have at least 30. The starter decks consist of 30 cards. That's probably why they say that.

Another group says you have to have at least 50 since that is what is mentioned in the Tournament Deckbuilding and Customization section on page 27 of the rulebook.

I suppose there is even a third group that says you can use however many cards you want as a minimum since it's your game and you can play it however you want.

I'm pretty adamant in my belief that FFG's intent was that you use no fewer than 50 cards in your deck if you make a custom deck. I believe the dispute is a matter of faulty wording (not the first time this would have happened... even though it may be the rulebook that is at fault). Po-tay-toe, po-tah-toe, boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew!

The reason I think this is because there are only two mentions of this in the rulebook. I already noted the one on page 27. The other is much earlier on page 9, stating:
Quote:
Each of the four 30-card starter decks in this core set can be played out of the box as an introduction to the game. For advanced play, the cards in these starter decks can be combined with one another, or further developed with cards from Adventure Pack expansions, to create 50-card tournament decks. (For more on the art of customizing a player deck, see Tournament Deckbuilding and customization, page 27.)

Any time the rulebook mentions deck customization, it says you must use 50 cards as a minimum.

Of course, as BitJam suggested, 30-card decks are probably a good idea if you have only one core set and no expansion packs, since you're very limited in how much customization you can do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boghog
Germany
flag msg tools
Well, if you want to be pedantic you should note that it says 50, not "at least 50".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
boghog wrote:
Well, if you want to be pedantic you should note that it says 50, not "at least 50".

In the introduction it does say:
Quote:
For advanced play, the cards in these starter decks can be combined with one another, or further developed with cards from Adventure Pack expansions, to create 50-card tournament decks. (For more on the art of customizing a player deck, see “Tournament Deckbuilding and Customization,” page 27.)

When we turn to page 27, we find:
Quote:
A tournament deck must contain a minimum of 50 cards.

To me, at least, it is clear that when they talk of a 50-card tournament deck in the introduction, they are referring to decks with a minimum of 50 cards, not exactly 50 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.