Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Leaders are one of several optional rules that I would hate to not use. I enjoy the strategic possibilities offered by the Leaders and I like the hint of roleplaying you get from the fact that they're named and from what can happen to them in the course of the game. The additional rules complexity is more than compensated for by the above elements, at least in my case.

I was just curious as to how other people feel about this optional rule. Do you use Leaders or not, and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R W
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We generally refrain from using leaders as there are usually 1-3 completely new players whenever we play a game.

The few time we've had all "seasoned" players we use as many optional rules as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I certainly prefer to play with Leaders, and I think every game I have played has had them (14 total). If you have several new players, or if the entire group is new to the game, I would pare down the game as much as possible, and even leave out Leaders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Binney
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I taught this game to a few people the other week and used Leaders. Of course teaching a game of TI3 is hard as you get so many questions flying at you during the course of a game! But I find Leaders are a good inclusion as long as you aren't too strict with their movement. For example, one of the player's might have left his scientist on his home planet, and is about to build a space dock in another system. At that point I explain the benefits of the scientist discount and allow him to 'teleport' his leader to that planet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We never use them, as feel that they're excessively fiddly and don't add enough to the game. We think of them as "pre-dealt sabotage cards" and "pass me the rulebook, again".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Binney
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Santiago wrote:
We never use them, as feel that they're excessively fiddly and don't add enough to the game. We think of them as "pre-dealt sabotage cards" and "pass me the rulebook, again".

In a game where there are a superfluity of rules to learn, I'm surprised anyone would hesitate in learning a few more! Some of those races could do with the advantages the Leader's provide, although I would argue the N'orr could do with a boost. 2 Admirals and a General for them would be much better than 2 Generals and an Admiral.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
We usually have noobs. And when we don’t, we still avoid leaders. They’re just another rule that promotes turtling. The game has enough of that already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Taylor
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We've played with leaders a few times. They don't really add that much to the game IMO, and it's a nuisance teaching the rules about them to new players on top of all the other rules. I would only use them with somewhat experienced players who are capable of reading and comprehending the rules themselves. Even then, keep the rulebook handy during the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
I never play without them. They add to the color of each race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuna Dude wrote:
In a game where there are a superfluity of rules to learn, I'm surprised anyone would hesitate in learning a few more!

The more rules there are, the greater the cost of adding even more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
malloc wrote:
I never play without them. They add to the color of each race.

I always play with them as well and made a small cheat sheet for new players to use when they play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
Santiago wrote:
Tuna Dude wrote:
In a game where there are a superfluity of rules to learn, I'm surprised anyone would hesitate in learning a few more!

The more rules there are, the greater the cost of adding even more.

Furthermore, most rules are universal. Leaders are game-changing exceptions to the rules, and they're different for each leader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
another geek
Switzerland
flag msg tools
I like them too. It is true, it makes the game more complex, bc you have to overview many new rules. But you get high RP elements like the representatives. We play yesterday for the first time and it was no problem to play with them.

there is one question: what do you think about the diplomat leader? For me he is very weak in comparison to the other leaders, so I am thinking in making the first house rule because of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
gracjanski wrote:
I like them too. It is true, it makes the game more complex, bc you have to overview many new rules. But you get high RP elements like the representatives. We play yesterday for the first time and it was no problem to play with them.

there is one question: what do you think about the diplomat leader? For me he is very weak in comparison to the other leaders, so I am thinking in making the first house rule because of them.

The General seems to be the weakest and most useless of Leaders in all my gaming of TI3.
The Diplomat is one of the better Leaders and keeps many a planet from falling into enemy hands. They are a help in holding Mecatol Rex, Artifact planets, or your Home System. Rarely used is there ability to move through enemy units. I have seen other players gimp the Diplomat due to his power (SA ruleset) but I think he is just fine as is.

Taking a HS that has a Diplomat in it either has to be a 2 player attack on the other player or a 2 turn attack which lets the defending player have time to get back to the HS and defend it.
It is one of the Leaders that makes hurting a front runner from getting more VP by trying to take out his HS even harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
another geek
Switzerland
flag msg tools
I see... convinced
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.