Subject: Never give up rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Wann
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game offers so many numerous ways to win and can even allow someone who gets thumped in the first 2 rounds a good chance to win.
My wife and I played the other day, for the first time playing a 2 player game. We randomly drew teams, ending up with Dwarfs for her and Orcs for myself. Both of us having never played these teams were not feeling particularly optimistic.

The first week highlights saw the Orcs come out firing, downing dwarfs at ease. The dwarfs meanwhile must have drunk too much ale as they could not affect a tackle against the sole Orc lineman at both match ups. Suffice to say the Orcs were runaway leaders for the first week.
After I collected my rewards we prepared for the second week of match ups. This time surely the dwarfs would remember how to tackle properly. Unfortunately, for my wife she drew 4 linemen! Another week of comfortable victories for the Orcs had my feeling very pleased and optimistic. Surely I had this game in the bag now.

The next week saw the weather turn bad and the pitches get all soggy. The dwarf’s manager began to look scared. For the first 2 weeks, the dwarfs could hardly affect a tackle, even seeing them get themselves injured. This week both die results would get applied. I hoped, and thought I would get another week of reasonably easy victories. How wrong could I be? Every tackle the dwarfs laid took down an Orc, sometimes even injury the poor orc. My reliable hardworking Orcs had obviously been corrupted by the dwarven ale as they were unable to make a noticeable effect on the dwarf ranks with their tackles. Result, an easy dwarf win for both highlights this week.

Things were hotting up now as both managers were getting a handle on their teams play styles. The crafty dwarf manager noticed that the previous week all the orc thowers were in play. Thus, in a brilliant tactical move, opened with a dwarf runner, gaining possession of the ball in one highlight. Their special ability means no one is able to tackle the runner. I started to feel less optimistic suddenly. This week saw the spoils spread, winning one highlight each.

Going into the Blood Bowl I was not overly hopeful I could pull off a victory. Through an illegal substitution and a team apothecary I was able to remove my downed players and deny the dwarf some fans. This combination of plays in the last 2 turns allowed the orcs to win the Blood Bowl.

A tally of fans though saw a massive win for the dwarfs, 38 fans to 28 fans. In the end I think it came down to a move tactical/strategic game by my wife and a little bit of luck with her rewards. It was such a fun game though. The dwarf victory was due to having some staff upgrades that gave a boost to fans for winning a highlight and for downing opponents in a highlight. This shows that even though the team may lose the majority of highlights they can still come out top at the end of the season.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Mistiaen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's commonly house ruled, but just to be sure, in a 2-player game there are no events, only tournaments.

I agree with you the end-game scoring can be hugely important: I positioned for this in my last game and won a ton of points, mainly from two cards awarding bonus for the star players in your deck, and ended up winning by a landslide although I was behind after the Blood Bowl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.