Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob D
United States
Largo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a relatively new boardgame addict I've found I've had some serious GAS(Game Acquisition Syndrome) over the past 12-18 months. Seeing as I mostly only game with my wife on Friday and the occasional Saturday nights this has left me with several unplayed games and many games that have received only one play. My wife has remarked to me several times about having to learn yet another game instead of playing the ones we have. Thankfully, in the end, she obliges me with all this and I appreciate this more than she knows.

Perhaps my biggest problem is coming to this very site. There is always some cool new game. Or somebody posts a great review on something and it makes me take notice. Now I don't want to quit coming to this site, but I need to find a way to fight the impulse to keep getting new games. If it's not a new game or a nice review as I stated above it is a Geeklist auction item with a price I just can't resist.

I've got a lot of great games. I want to give them all more plays. But I find it hard to fight the pull of getting more and more to add to my collection. So I appeal to my fellow Geeks: How did you learn to "just say no" and stick with what you have for a period of time. Or are some of you in my shoes as we speak...I suspect many are.

I know there have been several similar threads on here and I've looked through them, but now I add my own.

Fire away BGGers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
I focused my energy on getting the games I own played. At one point I said I wasn't going to buy anything new until I'd played everything I owned (50-60 games at that point) at least 3 times. I didn't quite reach that goal, but it striving for it I started attending and hosting games nights much more regularly.

Not sure if I'd call it "fixed" since my collection is now ~250, but it did manage to slow me down...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob D
United States
Largo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tscook wrote:
Being an unemployed college student.

Yes. If I could travel back in time that would sure do it. Quitting my job suddenly and without notice would surely put me right in that space too. But I think I'd prefer something a little more subtle!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Koeppen
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
LEGO: Hopeful for new 'Castle' sets in 2015!
badge
Games: Regarding my favorite theme of 'Fantasy', I'm hoping for fewer 'card' games and more 'board' games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh, it's true. I am an employed college student and find myself having a 'gaming budget' set aside with my rent, gas, food, insurance, cell phone bill, etc. budgets.

I'm sorry, I don't have an answer for you...I just wondered in here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Give it a few years. You will have a burnout period. You will care less about getting whatever is new and shiny then...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stop?

I don't . . . I don't understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
Give it a few years. You will have a burnout period. You will care less about getting whatever is new and shiny then...

I'm still waiting for that period ... wow
I still buy all these shiny new games ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I still get the urge to buy games every year as excellent games get released, but I no longer buy more than 1-5 games a year, if that, and I try to acquire those games through trades vs. purchasing them new.

I took the time to take a look a my collection from a new perspective. Obviously we can be insatiable in our desire for new stuff because it's good stuff and not the stuff we already have, but if I ask myself, "Would someone with no stuff at all be happy and content with all the stuff I have?" More often than not the answer is "Yes". If I have a decent collection of games, and I haven't even played them enough to know if I like them or not, shouldn't I play them more to find out? If it turns out there are a couple of stinkers in the collection, I can always trade or sell them for some of the newer games I might be jonesing for.

Then there's the money, since most publishers won't give them away for free. If I don't need the newest and best games every year because there's nothing wrong with the collection I have, would I be better off putting that money elsewhere? I know if I ask my wife, she'd answer with a resounding, "YES". Since pissing my wife off would be a very bad idea, I made the conscious decision to put that money towards more important stuff, save for Battletech and Memoir '44 stuff, since out of all the two player games we've played, those have stirred a passion in her for wargaming, something that's awesome to share with her.

Man, I'm rambling. I don't know if there were actual points, opinions or advice in there, but if someone can make sense of it, great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Maynor
United States
Peachtree City
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Find a good gaming group, especially if you have a local store with gaming nights. You meet tons of people, and play tons of great games, without having to be the one to pay for them all. This is really common for CCG players, but board games are a much more in depth time investment usually, and you have to all buy into a theme/style for everyone to have a good time.

I am lucky enough to have a fairly active RPG/CCG group that also likes other games. We have a local game store (Shout out to Board Game Nation in Spokane) that has 50+ games sitting on a shelf for people to just come in the door and try them out. Everything from simple Incan Gold decks, to full Big Box of Dominion and every style in between.

My wife likes to play games with us also, but many of them just frustrate her because they are too complex. She is a lighter gamer and that's OK. But the best way to avoid this is expand your gaming group in some way, then the onus of ownership spreads across more than just one individual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
i3ullseye wrote:
Find a good gaming group, especially if you have a local store with gaming nights. You meet tons of people, and play tons of great games, without having to be the one to pay for them all.

This is good advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.