Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We notice we have exactly ten people only one of which had never played before. John and Steve are relatively experienced players who have been in nearly every game I've ever been in. Clinton, Tova, Randy, and Seth have all played a number of games with us as well. Jason and Amanda have played something like two or three times and are still getting the hang of it. David is completely new. John takes first leader, so the rotation is John, Clinton, Chad, Steve, Seth, Randy, David, Jason, Amanda, Tova.

Game 1 is relatively uneventful, and by that I mean it went mission 1 fail, mission 2 fail, mission 3 pass which means spies never win ever. Especially since I was resistance and suggested the play of having a confirmed Resistance Strong Leader the Mission 4 plot cards then intentionally downvoting a team, jiggering the rotation so that I could distribute on Mission 5 and go for the checkmate with an Overheard Conversation to confirm a fifth. John made some remarks about how we're all a bunch of dicks because Jason and Amanda were never really got to play the game which set me up perfectly for Game 2...or so I thought.

Game 2 I end up a spy. This is a 10-player game, so there are four spies. When the spies open their eyes, I see Seth and Amanda looking around...and no one else. Seth and I exchange looks of confusion, look around, exchange further looks of confusion, then time is nearly up so we both shrug and close our eyes again.

Steve has been joking for a long time about not looking up in the beginning as a Spy, so I start by operating under the assumption that Steve is the other spy. Steve is first leader and pulls No Confidence, Opinion Maker and some other card. I remark "You should give me the No Confidence card since we're both spies," which goes completely unnoticed by literally everyone but sadly I get Opinion Maker instead. Mission 1 includes exactly one spy which is Amanda, and for the first time of the night I upvote, using "ok I'll let her play" as a cover. Steve does notice but Amanda bluecarded anyway so I still maintain some deniability. Second mission is Jason, Amanda, and some other resistance player. John had "In the Spotlight" and decided to use it on Jason. It was at this point that the sheer loudness and largeness of the game became a problem because John had to repeat how the card worked multiple times...but Amanda, who was sitting next to Jason heard "turn your vote face up" not realizing it wasn't directed at her and dutifully revealed her red card. Oops! Since it was only mission 2 John declared the game hosed and Seth and I were both ok with it given the mysteriously missing fourth spy...who turned out to be Jason. Apparently he's a bad liar or something and decided to not look up so he wouldn't know who the spies were. Ironically, In the Spotlight was probably our only chance to have avoided a double-red-carding in that game had it not been for the misunderstanding!

At this point several of us are looking at our watches (it's finals week and John has some lab work to do) but we decide to start a third game anyway...which turned out to be probably a bad idea.

This time I'm resistance. The very first mission sees John using Keeping a Close Eye on You on Randy. He declares "red card"...and the mission is in fact red-carded! Then the worst happens and the second mission plot cards are Strong Leader, No Confidence, No Confidence. Steve and I immediately start in explaining to David why this is about the most dangerous early-game situation possible and how hard it is to get this right and I think our sincere explanations of why this is bad for resistance are what resulted in the two of us getting the NC cards. I don't even remember who went on mission two for reasons that will become apparent.

The mission three cards are Strong Leader, No Confidence, Establish Confidence. I don't remember where the No Confidence went but Jason used Establish Confidence on John and gave Strong Leader to David after much browbeating. The team ends up being the mission two team + me. It's upvoted, but Steve and I start debating whether one of us should blow No Confidence. I finally decide I'm not going to be the one to do it because I'm the one on the team. The next proposed team has neither me nor Steve on it and Steve upvotes for the first time, which makes me suspicious. At this point the session has gone far later than expected and John is getting annoyed and trying to speed the game along, while all I can think of is the fact that this is the most suspicious thing I've seen all night and I have No Confidence. I try to question Steve anyway and I'm not satisfied with the answer but I know if I rush NC the same team will just get sent anyway so I decide to wait. The mission passes.

Things are looking good for the resistance but the board state is still kind of dangerous. John and I get into some arguments about what constitutes a necessary amount of discussion (Clinton says he might bring a timer next time to shut both of us up) but I'm sweating bullets at all the power cards floating around and various off-the-wall possibilities created by a possible hiding spy. I all but accuse John of being a spy based on his attempts to strongarm the game, but I know he might just genuinely want to get to his lab. I'm also nervous that the only person to get info cards so far is John himself and if he is a spy he could be giving the entire table the runaround. Tova gets the mission four plot cards and I volunteer for Open Up. Steve insists that if I don't show my card to Tova, I'm a spy, while I insist that this is moronic (sorry Steve, but it really is) and show my card to Jason. Jason declares me a spy! I now know:

-John and Jason are both spies
-No one will believe me because I'm the only resistance member with any evidence of this until after the mission 4 redcarding

So, I start mentioning to Steve that I can only hope I'm believed after the mission fails while John tries to cut me off to advance the vote again. After I snap at him with something to the effect of "Dude I'm trying to actually play the game," John yells "God DAMN IT, Chad! I can't take this anymore! Why are you stalling when you know we have this?"

I respond with, "The hell do you mean, 'we'?"

John's facial expression changes from annoyance, to confusion, to understanding, to horror, back to confusion. "Um, Jason? What are you DOING?"

Jason looks at his character card. "Huh, I could have sworn that was red..."

The spies turned out to be John, Amanda, Randy, and I forget. The best part of all this is that we were effectively playing a game where fully half the table thought they were spies and the game was set to go to five rounds anyway. My head still hurts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds wonderfully horrible. Fun all around. I can't imagine the trouble of not having one of the spies look up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sooo, 10 with plot cards is not that great then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
Sooo, 10 with plot cards is not that great then?

This session is hardly exemplary, but yeah, I think 3 plot cards/turn is garbage regardless of number of players now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
This is clearly the best kind of terrible session. Far better an epic failure than a mundane failure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There were apologies at the end but I just responded with "I got a good story out of it." Glad other people seem to find it as funny as I did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Polter-Cow
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeremiah_Lee wrote:
That sounds wonderfully horrible. Fun all around. I can't imagine the trouble of not having one of the spies look up.
I just played a game where that happened! Two of the spies knew who they were, but they had no idea who the third spy was, and the third spy didn't know who her partners were. As a result, the second mission was double-sabotaged. Still, the spies ended up winning because it came down to the fifth mission, and we hadn't figured out who the spies were, so a five-person mission in an eight-person game was a recipe for disaster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.