Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the game today, and read through the rulebook. My question is, why would anyone buy a frigate if the only stat that's higher is Maneuverability while the Galleon is superior in every other stat including cannons and crew? I must be missing something here. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
The sloop and frigate are primarily used for merchant raiding, for which Maneuverability is the most important ship stat. Fluyts and galleons are mostly useless for merchant raiding, because the merchant will usually escape before you can get enough treasure for a glory point.

Also, the frigate and galleon are more evenly matched in combat than you might think at first glance. The important thing with the frigate is to make sure you're rolling more dice than your opponent, so that the galleon's extra cannons will rarely be relevant. That isn't hard to do, since the frigate captain likely has higher Seamanship, and if not then you can try to grab the rigging upgrade to have enough Maneuverability for an extra die. All things considered, the frigate is not quite as tough but more versatile than the galleon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Vensko
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coyotemoon722 wrote:
I just got the game today, and read through the rulebook. My question is, why would anyone buy a frigate if the only stat that's higher is Maneuverability while the Galleon is superior in every other stat including cannons and crew? I must be missing something here. Thanks.

Already discussed countless times
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I apologize for this, I just found some of those threads. I wish this board had some stickies. Does BGG even have stickies, I'm fairly new to the boards. Anyway, here's the thread where it was last discussed with some good information:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/578024/frigates

Thanks for the replies, and feel free to disregard the rest of this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Freehold
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very generally speaking, the Galleon is more of a merchant ship and the Frigate is more of a raiding ship based on the maneuverability stat. I agree with what the others said that it's important for the frigate to go in with more dice than a galleon in ship v ship combat.

Enough people complained about the galleon being overpowered that there is an option in the official FAQ to lower the galleon's maneuverability by 1 to make it more "fair". I never found this change necessary as most games are very close and competitive with the regular rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
United States
Lawton
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest difference is how much better the Frigate is than the Galleon for Merchant Raids. You have twice the change to succeed in a merchant raid as a frigate as you do in a Galleon adn that is very significant. This means pirates can often chain together merchant raids for a late came surge in points. In our games the pirates when about half the cames and they all go frigate these days (or stay sloop).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frigate is way better for merchant raids. People asking for home rules usually lack experience with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.