Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game – Exodus Expansion» Forums » Variants

Subject: Playing with 8 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Pegasus Expansion, there was a rule variant that allowed for 7 players where one of the players must be a Cylon Leader. Last week, we had 8 players for a gaming session and really wanted to keep the group together; keeping in mind that there are few games that our group owns that allow for 8 players that do not involve team play.

So, we tried the following variant and it actually worked out fairly well. So I thought I would share it and hear your comments.

First, we set up the core game with the Cylon Fleet option as normally laid out in the expansion rules. This included the Kobol destination card and the Admiral and President action cards that DO NOT refer to New Caprica. We also overlayed the updated Cylon Location mini-board onto the base board. We allowed the first 6 players to choose from any character sheet EXCEPT the 3 Cylon Leader character sheets.

Next, we set up a Loyalty Deck that was designed for 6 players without any Sympathizer cards: 10 "You are Not a Cylon" and 2 random "You are a Cyclon" cards (adding in the extra cards for Baltar and Boomer as needed).

Finally, the last 2 players each chose a Cylon Leader. We added the Treachery skill cards next to the other skill cards. Then we had one Cylon Leader randomly choose an Agenda card from the stack that is designed for a 5-player game and the other Cyclon Leader randomly chose an Agenda card from the stack that is designed for a 4- or 6-player game. We did this because one set of Agenda cards is generally pro-human and the other is pro-cyclon. Also, since the Cylon Leaders only draw 2 skill cards in the game (3 skill cards if they are infiltrating), it did not exhaust the skill card draw piles too quickly.

We played 2 full games with 5 experienced BSG players and 3 BSG beginners. The first game was approx. 2-hr and the game was won by the Cylon players and the Cyclon Leaders had seperate agendas (one was pro-human and the other pro-cyclon). However, neither Cylon Leader achieved both their agendas. The second game was approx. 1-hr 30-min and the game was won by the human players and by coincidence both Cylon Leaders had pro-human agendas even though their agendas came from seperate agenda decks. Both Cylon Leaders in the second game did achieve both of their agendas.

We didn't notice any hiccups in game play, nor did either game last a long time. All in all, we had fun and kept to the spirit of the game!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that would work reasonably well. But my experience with Cylon Leaders is that they tend to decide the game. With a "Humans Win" agenda, the game tends to end in human victory. With a "Cylons Win" agenda, more often than not it ends in Cylon victory. I think that in this variant, such bias could become even worse.

Why not simply play without Cylon Leaders, but with three Cylons versus 5 humans?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
Why not simply play without Cylon Leaders, but with three Cylons versus 5 humans?


This would probably be pretty balanced. I've participated in a 7-player set-up that used 3 Cylons against 4 Humans and this clearly favored the Cylons. An extra human player would probably even this out.

Still - 8-players! Wow. I find this perfect at 5 or 6 and even 7 can drag some (long time between player turns) for me (though I know some people like it). Good luck with 8!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand how you can get a Human victory with eight players in an hour and a half. My games take twice that much time with five players, at least.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
I don't understand how you can get a Human victory with eight players in an hour and a half. My games take twice that much time with five players, at least.
# of playes doesn't necessarily dictate the game length. I had a 7p game that only took 2 hours 15 min (with Cain' OPG) while a 3p game take almost 4 hours. With the 3p game, Engine Room was damaged and we had a huge dearth of jump icons and and average destination jump was about 1.25.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:
I don't understand how you can get a Human victory with eight players in an hour and a half. My games take twice that much time with five players, at least.
# of playes doesn't necessarily dictate the game length. I had a 7p game that only took 2 hours 15 min (with Cain' OPG) while a 3p game take almost 4 hours. With the 3p game, Engine Room was damaged and we had a huge dearth of jump icons and and average destination jump was about 1.25.


Right, but I've never even been close to a Human victory in that amount of time regardless. Cylon victory, sure. Perhaps I need to play more so that my group can make decisions more quickly. Still, the OP said that three of eight players were new to the game. I don't get it!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:
I don't understand how you can get a Human victory with eight players in an hour and a half. My games take twice that much time with five players, at least.
# of playes doesn't necessarily dictate the game length. I had a 7p game that only took 2 hours 15 min (with Cain' OPG) while a 3p game take almost 4 hours. With the 3p game, Engine Room was damaged and we had a huge dearth of jump icons and and average destination jump was about 1.25.


Right, but I've never even been close to a Human victory in that amount of time regardless. Cylon victory, sure. Perhaps I need to play more so that my group can make decisions more quickly. Still, the OP said that three of eight players were new to the game. I don't get it!
Touche'... closest thing I've seen was 5 experienced players have a human win in just over an hour. We had Cain use her OPG which was a 3-distance, and both cylons came out sleeper phase. It worked out such that the cylons had minimal # of time before the final jump, so each cylon only had 2 turns each before the game ended.

Perhaps we can get more details about that 8p game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
# of playes doesn't necessarily dictate the game length. I had a 7p game that only took 2 hours 15 min (with Cain' OPG) while a 3p game take almost 4 hours. With the 3p game, Engine Room was damaged and we had a huge dearth of jump icons and and average destination jump was about 1.25.


Just as an aside (because this is incidental to your point), my issue with too many players doesn't have anything to do with total game length. This is affected, but not much because the total number of player-turns a game will take is pretty consistent across differet numbers of players.

The bigger issue for me is downtime in between turns and less of a chance of any individual player to affect the game, becuase everyone gets fewer turns.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.