Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kurt Rompot
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the Fire Captain use 6 AP (4 Regular AP + 2 Fee Command AP) for Command Actions or just his two Free Command AP?

We have played it both ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiwaz Tyrsfist
United States
Gladstone
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Yay, Overtext bought with supporter GG!
badge
Supporter #3170 - I hope the bonus gets high enough that I can buy GeekBadge Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure he can use all his AP, special and normal, for command actions. It's a special action he can do.

Just like the deck gunner can use the deck gun 3 times a turn, when pretty much everyone else can only use it once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Captain can use all action points for command actions. This was clarified either in the errata for the game or in the errata for the German translation. The command actions are only available for movement, so he is still quite limited.

The Driver/ Operator has only 4 AP, so he can use the deck gun two times. Or four times, if he saves up his four action points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a valiant, pungent reindeer king
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, interesting, I hadn't thought of using more than 2 AP for commanding. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Reubzaet
Netherlands
Landgraaf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thamos von Nostria wrote:
The command actions are only available for movement

Wow, now where did THAT come from? Is this in the errata too? The base rules do not mention anything like it and I even thought the special rule that no more than 1 free command AP could be spent on the CAFS fire fighter was meant to prevent the fire captain to go about and extinguish TOO much with him (considering the rules imply that the 4 non-specific AP CAN all be spent on the CAFS fire fighter).

If you are only allowed to walk, that changes the game A LOT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 9 of the rule book:

"The Fire Captain can use their AP to Command any other firefighter to Move and/or Open/Close Doors on the Fire Captain's turn."

"No more than 1 Commmand AP may be spent on the CAFS Firefighter per turn."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Co1980 wrote:
I even thought the special rule that no more than 1 free command AP could be spent on the CAFS fire fighter was meant to prevent the fire captain to go about and extinguish TOO much with him

The CAFS firefighter's biggest problem is how to always be able to reach enough fire to use all of his 3 bonus Extinguish actions. Being able to move him freely with the Fire Captain would be sufficient.

Quote:
(considering the rules imply that the 4 non-specific AP CAN all be spent on the CAFS fire fighter).

Now that is an interesting point, in that I can see how you might understand "Command AP" to mean "bonus AP reserved for the Command action," rather than "AP used for the Command action." Only the fact that the former would be an absurdly impotent limitation leads me to believe that it's the latter. I mean, why even bother to limit it to 5 of the Fire Captain's AP rather than all 6?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Driver/ Operator has only 4 AP, so he can use the deck gun two times. Or four times, if he saves up his four action points.

Though, really, if there's enough fire there to be worth four shots of the deck gun (with re-rolls), it's hard to see how the building hasn't already fallen down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:
Page 9 of the rule book:

"The Fire Captain can use their AP to Command any other firefighter to Move and/or Open/Close Doors on the Fire Captain's turn."

"No more than 1 Commmand AP may be spent on the CAFS Firefighter per turn."

The confusing bit here, though, is that the "Free AP" are specified as "Command AP", so how do you read that? Only the command AP can be used to command others or the Free Command AP can ONLY be used to assist others.

So,

1. Can the captain use all 6 AP on one character (with the exception of the CAFS, the answer seems to be yes)

2. Can the captain use the two free AP on himself? (I think not, but I hope I am wrong)

3. Can the Free AP only be used for movement (on the captain or others as noted above)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagherra wrote:

The confusing bit here, though, is that the "Free AP" are specified as "Command AP", so how do you read that? Only the command AP can be used to command others or the Free Command AP can ONLY be used to assist others.

The free AP are always command AP because you must spend them on others. The Captain's normal AP are command AP if you spend them on others.

Bagherra wrote:

So,

1. Can the captain use all 6 AP on one character (with the exception of the CAFS, the answer seems to be yes)

2. Can the captain use the two free AP on himself? (I think not, but I hope I am wrong)

3. Can the Free AP only be used for movement (on the captain or others as noted above)?

1. Yes, you can spend them all on one firefighter. (And if you save your APs, you can spend even 10).
2. No, they are only for commanding others.
3. Yes, only on movement.

Having 6 AP available always comes with a restriction. Why would anyone play the Generalist if the Captain were so much better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3. Yes, only on movement.

Or Open/Close doors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Chaffer
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Grand Rapids Area Boardgamers
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
This would include another firefighter carrying a victim?

The way I read it, yes; the rules are careful to note that you spend as many command AP as the moved firefighter would spend on movement AP, meaning this movement choice would require 2 command AP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is driving considered movement? For example, the Driver/Operator is in the Engine. Can the Capptain use 2 Command AP to have the Driver/Operator move the engine to an adjacent engine parking space, which normally cost 2 AP for the Drive action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chubber911 wrote:
This would include another firefighter carrying a victim?

Quote from the rulebook:
"Commanded firefighters may be carrying victims, Hazmat or Move with Treated Victims."
Couldn´t be clearer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the fire captain use his command actions to tell the ambulance to move?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
DNA results:Scottish, Dutch, English, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
jayelbird wrote:
Can the fire captain use his command actions to tell the ambulance to move?

I wondered about this too, and decided that since 'Move' (your firefighter) in the rulebook is one of the "Actions," that only the Move and Close/Open Door actions are intended to be used by the Command Actions for the fire captain. So Drive (ambulance and engine) and Deck Gun actions would not be included in his ability, along with Extinguish and Chop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about 'climb'? As in, a ladder. I would think that's a move action, too, although I can see where 'drive' is not. Sorta.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Byrd
United States
Gladwyne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2nd Story rulebook specifies that all actions pertaining to ladders count as Move Actions; which means that the Captain can Command them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.