Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dale Martin
United States
Fernandina Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am curious as to the phrasing of the effects text on the Union Hall card (similar text appears on other cards, as well):

Gain 4 (Wealth) for each 3- and 4- lot IND building. 3-4-lot IND gain 4 (Presitige) each.

Do different players gain the awards? It appears as if the text means that whoever built the Union Hall gains the Wealth award. But then which player(s) gains the Prestige award- the Active Player who built the Union Hall or the players who control the 3- and 4- IND buildings? If the rewards are solely intended for the Active Player, why change the order of the wording for the Prestige award? I read the text as the Wealth award goes to a player (the builder of the contract), whereas the Prestige award is granted to the building (the controlling player of each).

Maybe I've played too much Innovation, intrepreting all of the dogma texts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dmart wrote:
I read the text as the Wealth award goes to a player (the builder of the contract), whereas the Prestige award is granted to the building (the controlling player of each).

Correct.
Rules, page 9 wrote:
Usually the active player is the only player affected by a building’s effect. However, when an effect refers to specific buildings as gaining or losing something, the player or players controlling the noted buildings will reap the benefit or detriment of that effect.

See the Corporate HQ example right below that, which has the same issue you're asking about here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cinzori
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The first sentence is speaking to the person who built the Union Hall. Imagine it says "you" at the beginning of the sentence. So for each 3- and 4- lot IND building on the board, no matter the owner, you (not necessarily the owner) gain 4 wealth.

The second sentence pertains to each building on the board and that building's owner. So, each player that owns any 3- or 4- lot IND buildings earns 4 prestige for each such building.

There is an example in the rules that attempts to make this clear, but it is a little subtle the first few times through.

Edit: Too slow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Martin
United States
Fernandina Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you. I knew other cards had similar effects, but the Union Hall was the first one I found for my example (read as "too lazy to pull all the cards and then search the forums").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dmart wrote:
(read as "too lazy to pull all the cards and then search the forums").

Or reread the appropriate section of rulebook. But hey, no need for self-flaggelation. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.