Popular Tags: [View All]
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Hi everyone.

Well the holiday season is upon us, and this year it means a cadre of relatives descending on our place for the festivities. Taboo is always a hit, and I have managed to collect several older versions, the refill, the platinum edition ... but I see Target is carrying a version with a redesigned cover:

Has anyone played this version and if so can you comment on whether it has new/different cards when compared to prior releases.

Thanks and Happy Holidays everyone !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Hedden
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is perhaps too late to help you out for the holidays, but I got the new version from Target just the other day. My box has a red label on the lower right front that says "With unspeakably fresh cards & special game-changer die!" and the art is a little different from the picture you posted (doesn't have the blue curved border and the eyes/nose/hand are black-and-white). The cards are indeed different, with 4 words per card (double-sided, top-half/bottom-half, with each section color-coded for key word and taboo words). Some of the words are a bit too "now-ish" ( i.e. likely to become quickly dated) for my tastes (bling, iPhone, 2012) and a few make me wonder if Hasbro is taking product-placement deals (bing, Snuggie). The die looks like it would just add a bit of "zany" randomness to an otherwise wonderful game, so I doubt we'll ever use it. The buzzer makes a pretty annoying "Uh-uh!" sound, and the card holder seems more flimsy and poorly designed than previous versions. The cards also seem like they might be a slightly different width/height than prior versions (so not sure if you could mix them together or use with the earlier card holder), but I don't have an earlier version available to directly compare. Hope this helps...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Answering my own question:

I just purchased the edition pictured above (copyright 2009).

The box notes "Fresh Cardware. Hundreds of updated words to guess!"

I would also note that the cards pictured on the box have five taboo words.

I plan to upload a picture of the box back for future users.

Cheers !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.