pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i posted this personal re-design of the character sheet yesterday

and there was a request about re-designing everything for the game. i am considering this but i want to make sure what all there is that needs to be designed

the map at some appreciable size (11x17?)
probably the standard set of tables (which others have done a great job pulling out into a comprehensive set)

but what else?

and i've not dug deeply enough yet, is the original copyright holder ok with a redesign?
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
dumarest123 wrote:

and i've not dug deeply enough yet, is the original copyright holder ok with a redesign?

Thanks for inquiring about this issue. I set up the Dwarfstar Games website. Reaper Miniatures requires that a Distribution Agreement be included in all distributions of the Dwarfstar Games:

http://dwarfstar.brainiac.com/ds_distribution.html

It would be best if you could revise the play-aid posted above to incorporate this language (perhaps making it a two-page PDF file with the advisement on the first page?)

In addition, as any other re-designed elements of the game would include copyrighted materials (and/or likely constitute derivative works), they would also need to include the Distribution Agreement language (preferably on the first page so that anyone who receives a copy of the document is properly advised of the agreement).

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, the origonal copyright holder(s) gave permission for this game to be distributed with certain restrictions about profiting, alterations and attributions.

I could certainly be wrong but based on what you've already done your work seems within the perimeters. I'd go out of my way to make sure original art/text gets proper attribution and is essentially unaltered in your (very well done) graphic presentation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina
Germany
Köln
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I think there is not so much to redesign.
The game includes the map, the table(s), the rules- and event- booklets and thats it.

Maybe it is possible to put the same background color from the table(s) to the rule- and event-booklets.

And if you redesign the map, please make it big enough when you number the hexes so that a old lady like me can read it whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that's where a "redesign" could help. Easier to read and pretty background on otherwise dull white pages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
I agree that's where a "redesign" could help. Easier to read and pretty background on otherwise dull white pages.

Hmm, for me "easier to read" implies utilitarian white pages and lack of "pretty background". Also saves printer ink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that. To each their own. You'd probably be better off with the current B&W text. For me, as long as the font is readable (high enough contrast with the background) I think the best utility of a redesign is to have the booklets printed out by a professional company (e.g. ArtsCow). Printing double sided pages of the B&W text and binding them in standard school report covers just provided a lackluster (albeit more economic) copy of this outstanding bit of gaming history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Maverick wrote:
dumarest123 wrote:

Thanks for inquiring about this issue. I set up the Dwarfstar Games website. Reaper Miniatures requires that a Distribution Agreement be included in all distributions of the Dwarfstar Games:

http://dwarfstar.brainiac.com/ds_distribution.html

It would be best if you could revise the play-aid posted above to incorporate this language (perhaps making it a two-page PDF file with the advisement on the first page?)

In addition, as any other re-designed elements of the game would include copyrighted materials (and/or likely constitute derivative works), they would also need to include the Distribution Agreement language (preferably on the first page so that anyone who receives a copy of the document is properly advised of the agreement).

Thanks!

thanks maverick and everyone else. i'll add in the extra language to the PDF file and repost it to the queue.

and yes i agree there are not many elements to re-design. i'll see what i can come up with for some sketches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a proof of concept image of 2 of the travel tables, building upon the excellent work already accomplished by bgguser - jumbit

(and i have no design yet for hex terrain symbols so those icons are just colored hexes for now)

each terrain type would have a matching color scheme (perhaps even the pointed end of the tapestry has a different symbol worked into it (as if it were embroidered))

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
looks like my proof of concept tables are liked as well. i'll keep forging onthen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tonight's proof of concept image - a page from the Events book

my general idea in this graphic re-design is to make 'like' elements easy to spot on a page (tables and text are visually distinct making it easier to locate info you need).

i am developing a color scheme for events numbers, rules numbers and general special (pay attention to me) items.

both the rules and event books will have this applied to it. also for tables and the like i am using linear bars to help with readability.

i am also working with an indexing icon in the right margin, so when you are quickly flipping through the book it will be easier to spot a numbered section. i'll end up of course making a double sided version as well.

i should be able to shorten the overall length of both books too.

in a nod to the original i am using the first version purple logo color for all special items.

i also see where some copied text in the original doesn't match from section to section. (in the above e002 and e003, the text for the winged mounts is different). i should be able to do some global find and replacing to standardize these issues. and i can work in all of the current errata fixes.

again all this is if Reaper Miniatures and their representatives are agreeable. i certainly do not want to do anything they wouldn't like to see.

starting to think this is a really viable project to spend time on. much like the re-build of Magic Realm (and Carthaginian's rebuild is a beauty to behold (i, with all humility, state i am nowhere near his level of talent), i'd like to see a new generation embrace a venerable older game, breathing some new graphic design life into it.

open to thoughts at this stage. better to know what i may be up against now then get bogged down in the middle of it.

one other great thing is once i am done with both books i can pull out whatever tables are key to the game and create some nice player aids.

the map is going to be what will cause me some fits eventually. but all things in time. in fact i'd love to work with a good fantasy/map making illustrator. if you are out there and have wanted to tackle something like this but needed a graphic designer for the non illustration stuff - let's talk

later edit: additions made to image
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
not yet finished filling in all the individual events on the matrix grids but wanted to show the colors i am thinking of for the travel tables

probably best for these to be 5 double sided cards, 1 terrain type on each side

a 6th card will have rafting/searching ruins possibly and treasure on the back side

and i am dithering over the others

from what i gather r203, r209, r210-212, r214, r218, r219, r227, r341, r342

seem to be the most commonly referred to. will work out a scheme for them as well. probably try and group them by theme on single full pages
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
travel tables done.

next on my list the events book (which will have all the other tables i'll need to pull out for the quick reference sheets)

then the rules book

then tackle the map

thanks again for the support of this project. hoping it adds to everyone's enjoyment when i have everything finished

(i am, by the way going, through all errata and making those corrections as i go to the text where needed (hoping Reaper doesn't mind me doing this))

for those keeping tabs on the project i'd really like some proofreaders to provide some other sets of eyes. if interested DM me and i'll feed you PDF files of parts of the game as they are completed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina
Germany
Köln
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I would help you, but my english is not good enough for proofreading
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris toph
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
Not an actual picture of me!
mbmbmbmbmb
When do you guess you need the proof readers? I'd like to help, but I have a thesis to write
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for those who have offered proofreading help. i won't have anything ready until after the end of this month
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:

...hoping it adds to everyone's enjoyment when i have everything finished

Myself included. I have no idea about this game (well probably I did, just that I didn't give that much attention) until you brought this up in December PnP geeklist.

I'm massively psych to see the outcome Todd, so please take your time. I wish I can help in something, but I believe there will be others that are more experienced that can do a better job. Still, I wouldn't mind chipping in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Davis
United States
Coventry
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this a new adventure?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not AFAIK, graphic update and making some charts more "ergonomic."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes a graphic update and re-designed charts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
good news everyone (sorry, i've been watching a lot of Futurama lately)

the events book draft has been fully designed and i managed to save a few pages of length in the process.

on to the rules book...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the Doctor Who: Solitaire Story Game at least half a dozen times, and I've heard a lot about Barbarian Prince. I even looked at the files a few times. But tonight was the first time I actually sat down and played.

Not bad! I think I would have been really lost if I hadn't been familiar with the play style thanks to Simon Cogan's masterpiece, but I can definitely see why this was popular in the 80s. Definitely needs some reworking, though. So, my hat is off to Todd. I'll lend any assistance I can in re-designing this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the rules book draft is now finished as well. printing both up this week for a review and i'll make them available to those who have said they'd help out.

all of the travel tables are in good shape and i've started on the map too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris toph
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
Not an actual picture of me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds really great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina
Germany
Köln
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Iam very curious how the map will look like
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.