Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or at least give an option for an untimed one. There is no need for every game to be timed.

I know people will say, "Just do 14 days!" but here's the thing; I usually have time to make a play once a day. So even the 14 day time limit gives me 14 plays the entire game, and that's assuming I don't have to skip a day, which I often do.

I guess some people feel a need for timed games and hey, they have plenty of options. But there's no option for "no time limit", and there should be. Hell, being able to take my turns at my leisure is WHY I play on an iPad.

I'm not sure what timed-ness adds to the game, but for me it's just frustrating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They said they added timed games because they had tons of abandoned games just sitting clogging up their databases with the old system and it was causing technical problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It adds, according to the publisher, their server not being swamped with 20,000 abandoned games that never go away. Yes, it's not optimal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hinsdale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ascension servers were congested with thousands of abandoned games, which was adversely affecting the active games. Time limits are a reasonable way to prevent this sort of housekeeping problem, and I think they are probably here to stay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't believe that this is the best solution to the abandoned games problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
MAybe if they just upped the clock to 21 days...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:

Well I"m sure if you have a suggestion they'd be willing to hear it. But as I can see this system likely has the least impact on the existing playerbase. I imagine there are very few players in your situation that can't take more than 30 seconds a day to take multiple turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played the game online but a solution sounds like instead of having a 14 day time limit you set it that if a move isn't made within 3 days the game is considered abandoned and is deleted. Forces people to play or lose their game.

Seems easier than setting a limit that may restrict people from completing a full game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
stinkoman wrote:
I've never played the game online but a solution sounds like instead of having a 14 day time limit you set it that if a move isn't made within 3 days the game is considered abandoned and is deleted. Forces people to play or lose their game.

Seems easier than setting a limit that may restrict people from completing a full game.

Timezones + weekends = 3 days very quickly. Or, for example, not playing over Christmas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gschmidl wrote:
stinkoman wrote:

Timezones + weekends = 3 days very quickly. Or, for example, not playing over Christmas.

Then increase it to 4 days or 5 days or 6 days or 7 days. Why are BGGers so literal? I don't care how many days - just create a limit of the # of days that a game can be inactive.

Or maybe they have to implement a pay-to-play scheme where you pay to have an unlimited time option per game. You can't play it within the alotted 14 days you pay to have it open ended.

Or send out an email to the person who set up the game when there has been inactivity for a couple of days - which forces them to go and either "extend" the game or ignore the email and lose the game. This would meant that the originator of the game is responsible to ensure the players keep the game flowing. The could also build in that you only get a certain number of extensions for the game. Or maybe a certain number of extension if the game doesn't change (i.e. stuck on one players move).

Lots of different options. Lots of different ways to get around the 14 days limit. It isn't always so cut and dry as "timed versus open gaming".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
United States
Summit
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yucata.de allows a player who is not on turn to delete an existing game if his/her opponent sits idle for too long (not sure how long). I'm sure such a method doesnt keep the number of abandoned games at 0 though.

I agree that lengthening the time limit seems reasonable. If any game that sits unplayed for a month is deleted, there is no way the servers could get overwhelmed, right? And if they are, it sounds like it is time to upgrade the servers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
stinkoman wrote:
Why are BBGers so literal?

An even better question: Why are so many of them confused by the initials of three relatively simple words?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
stinkoman wrote:
Why are BBGers so literal?

An even better question: Why are so many of them confused by the initials of three relatively simple words?

Whoops.

My bad.

But I really mean Bad Board Gamers That's what I really meant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainCosmic wrote:
Legomancer wrote:

Well, I can't believe that people can't complete a 15-turn game in a matter of weeks or months, so there ya go.

Congrats! You were a minute faster in your response, so YOU win the "This Isn't A Problem For Me So I Don't See How It's a Problem For Anyone Else" award!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Massek
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly I don't want to play someone who can't complete a game in 14 days. Don't start a game if you can't finish it in. Reasonable amount of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I said, I like asynch BECAUSE I'm not parked in front of my iPad all day long. I like that I can take my turn when I have an opportunity to, and play against the people I want. I didn't realize there had been server problems, and I recognize that mine may be an unusual situation, but it is still my situation and it still makes a game I generally enjoy into something less fun. If making everyone have to play timed games is the only solution, so be it, but that seems pretty hamfisted to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, to each his own, but I don't know how you guys can take a 15-minute game and stretch it out for 15 days playing asynch online. I can't imagine it being any fun (like I said, to each his own). If I was going to play a game online with only one turn every few days it would have to at least be something meaty that I could think about between turns. I couldn't even remember what I bought if I was doing one turn a day. Sounds miserable (imho). I still agree that there should be a "no timer" option for those of you who would appreciate such things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
The T&E implementation here at the geek has no game timers, but if a game goes idle for 30 days, it's removed from the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
I don't have a big problem with the timer, but I would have liked it implemented as a time between turns instead.

And every time it starts with 30 minutes, when you forget to change it before creating the game it can be annoying...

I play a lot of games with people in different timezones, a 12 hour clock can be tricky when a game does not finish before one of us goes to bed. And sadly, some of my opponents seem to work as well. So while 12 hours should be enough it might already be too short for these situations...

My solution: I just try to remember to set the timer to at least 7 days... And no, the games are usually done in a day or 2 but it's just in case when sleep, work or life gets in the way of doing your next turn!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Doherty
United States
Windsor, Northern-
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Alysa. Perhaps 7 days can be the default instead of 30 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Koehn
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the problem is the server getting clogged with abandoned games, then, as stinkoman said, the solution is to restart the clock when a move is made, not to set an overall time limit for the game. As long as moves are being made, the game is not abandoned. There are many turn based online game sites that face the same problem, and every one that I've seen has adopted a variation of this solution.

(I also see the point of those that wish to play at a faster rate, but it's really irrelevant to this discussion. Going back to what other online games do, most either have a box to check indicating how fast a game is desired, or they have a comment line where you can say things like "at least two turns a day, please" when creating a game. Of course, that assumes people won't join a fast game if they intend to play at a slow rate.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
koehn wrote:
If the problem is the server getting clogged with abandoned games, then, as stinkoman said, the solution is to restart the clock when a move is made, not to set an overall time limit for the game. As long as moves are being made, the game is not abandoned. There are many turn based online game sites that face the same problem, and every one that I've seen has adopted a variation of this solution.

This is exactly the solution I was thinking of earlier this morning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Full
United States
Vienna
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The timer benefits me because my game list isn't clogged with people who are effectively abandoning their game.

However, one weird side effect is that having a timer slightly stresses me out. I only ever timed out on two games because I didn't understand the time controls so at an intellectual level you would think the timer wouldn't have any down side for my situation. But just seeing a ticking clock and knowing it is there makes me slightly more anxious than before.

The human mind and varying personalities is tricky. Overall though, I think the timers are a great addition - I just make sure to start most games with a 7 day limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.