Subject: Independent Game Reviewers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kinch Glisson
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
I just finished designing my new board game, Villains! at https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/villains, and it is now available through http://www.thegamecrafter.com. I would love to get it reviewed, but what sites do reviews of independent board games?

The game itself is one of Area Control, with a strong comic book theme and character battling. Does anyone know what are the best sites to submit a game of this type to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to check out everyone with a Golden Reviewer microbadge. Every one of them is a prolific reviewer. Not all of them are necessarily accepting games for review right now, and not all of them would necessarily be interested in Villains!, but it's a good place to start. Just look through their reviews to find the ones that might be interested in an area control game about comic book masterminds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Villains!

I agree with Nate, finding someone from the community to review it is a good idea. There are also well known video reviews who do not had a golden reviewer badge but who are worth a look:

Who's the video reviewer that you like most ?

I'd also recommend you filling in more details on our record of the game: Villains!. Such as uploading the rules, more images, perhaps a walkthrough example of gameplay and a video is always a must in the long run. You could also offer a designer perspective on your own game, just be sure to be open about being the designer... and expect criticism
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
pooryorickgames wrote:
I just finished designing my new board game, Villains! at https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/villains, and it is now available through http://www.thegamecrafter.com. I would love to get it reviewed, but what sites do reviews of independent board games?

The game itself is one of Area Control, with a strong comic book theme and character battling. Does anyone know what are the best sites to submit a game of this type to?

I am a Golden Reviewer and am actually looking right now to start getting games for review, if you're interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kinch Glisson
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Cool, how does the review process usually work for you and other Golden Reviewers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
pooryorickgames wrote:
Cool, how does the review process usually work for you and other Golden Reviewers?

I can only speak for myself but in general when I get a game I'll play it several times both solo and with other people, especially my wife. For me, the solo plays are a process of figuring the game out and essentially analyzing it. My approach tends to emphasize more the strategic and tactical elements of a game rather than the social interaction or theme. I'll discuss those elements as well (where relevant) but I tend to have a more cerebral approach. (Thus for example I've had Hammer of the Scots for a while now but still want to play it a bit more (especially with my wife) before I would feel competent to write a thorough review. In particular, I want to better understand the approach the Scottish player needs to take in order to win.) Discussion of balance in the game is also key.

Once I start writing the review, I'll usually use gallery photos to discuss components simply because I do not consider photo-taking to be one of my better skills. Then I have a fairly standard format.

What I want my readers to get is how the game plays and how much it engages the brain. Thus, I don't so much say "This game is good/bad" as try to get across to readers why I do or don't like a game with the implicit idea that things I like or don't like about the game mayn't or may appeal to some readers. Thus, even if I write a negative review, I want to have the reader be informed enough about the game that if that reader's tastes are opposite to mine then the reader could come away with a positive impression of the game. At the same time, when even if I write a glowing review, I want the readers with tastes different than mine to be able to come away saying, "Hm, that doesn't sound like my cup of tea."

Where theme comes through is usually in the discussion of components and rules summary. Where player interaction usually comes through is in the discussion of gameplay but again the approach is cerebral and I'm most interesting n the reader having the facts to form an independent opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
upandawaygames.com
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This may help you:
http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Internet_Boardgame_Resour...#
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.