Jeremy Olson
United States
Troy
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far this year I have purchased Alien Frontiers and Stone Age. Both are great games, but I have concerns about each of them and would like another worker placement experience that is still deep, but also streamlined.

My beef with Alien Frontiers is that there is a ton of downtime with AP prone players, and everyone resolves all of their actions at once. I prefer Stone Age's sequential action resolution. I am also not so crazy about the "dice as workers" phenomenon as this just adds fiddliness and emphasizes optimization over the "painful decisions" I enjoy in games.

My concern with Stone Age is that if even one person at the table is not paying attention it is very easy for another player to run away with the hidden victory point cards. This might have to do with the people I play with, but I almost feel like there is too much of a hidden point swing at the end, making the final scoring look more like a Texas Hold'em flop rather than a complex Euro.

Any suggestions? I have had my eye on Fresco, and Carson City, but any recommendations are welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d g
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leonardo da Vinci seems to move pretty quickly. And while you can't see what the other folks are working on, you can see the inventions they've completed so you've got a rough idea how everyone's doing. Individual actions are pretty quick so I don't think downtime would be much of an issue unless your group are extremely AP prone.

Plus, it's only $10 from CoolStuffInc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I also had problems with AP and downtime in Alien Frontiers.

My favorite worker placement game is Caylus Magna Carta. It's on the lighter side in the genre, but is still a bit heavier than Stone Age and Alien Frontiers. It moves quickly, and there are no hidden point swings. I think the most any single placement could give a player is net +6 points. For me at least, CMC is full of painful decisions.

Some Caylus fans will tell you that CMC is a pale shadow of the "real" game, not worth your time. Ignore them. CMC is a fine game on its own. If you want something heavier, the expansion adds favours (and the ability to play with up to 5), and if you're still craving more, you can always step up to Caylus itself later.

CMC doesn't have the direct "attacks" that AF and Carson City have, so if that's important to you, it might not work. But I think it has more interaction than Stone Age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominant Species.

Because two out of three ain't bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alanias wrote:
So far this year I have purchased Alien Frontiers and Stone Age. Both are great games, but I have concerns about each of them and would like another worker placement experience that is still deep, but also streamlined.

My beef with Alien Frontiers is that there is a ton of downtime with AP prone players, and everyone resolves all of their actions at once. I prefer Stone Age's sequential action resolution. I am also not so crazy about the "dice as workers" phenomenon as this just adds fiddliness and emphasizes optimization over the "painful decisions" I enjoy in games.

My concern with Stone Age is that if even one person at the table is not paying attention it is very easy for another player to run away with the hidden victory point cards. This might have to do with the people I play with, but I almost feel like there is too much of a hidden point swing at the end, making the final scoring look more like a Texas Hold'em flop rather than a complex Euro.

Any suggestions? I have had my eye on Fresco, and Carson City, but any recommendations are welcome!

For Stone Age, you could just make a house rule that all VP cards are left face up for all to see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest Lancaster. Worker placement is quick and invovling for everyone because your workers can get kicked out of a place they were previously placed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Marshall
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
We Are DEVO!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second that Lancaster recommendation. Lancaster and Carson City would both be great options. VP's are not hidden in either. In both cases there is not much downtime because a player's choice of action of directly affects you (displacing or threatening a "shoot out").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Carson City.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, +1 Caylus Magna Carta and +1 Carson City. Both are great and both play pretty quickly. I'm biased to CMC because I own it and have played it more, but I do think it's more elegant and quick to learn. This doesn't mean that it's without depth. As Mr. Smith said, decisions are painful. There's a lot of variety in the game and it's all packed into a pretty cheap price.

However. APers will find a way to AP in both of these titles. I've seen it happen. AP prone folks will find a way to make Carcassonne take eons.

Glen More allows for almost no downtime (seriously, almost none) and is almost worker placement and gives that feel but is closer to Carcassonne with moving followers. It's also got a very short teaching time and a ton of depth. Take a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The Manhattan Project was designed with a novel "pull back" mechanic to prevent any down time. Once you know the game AP isn't much an issue either. Check it out, should be on shelves by February 2012.

Pillars of Earth is one of my favorite games and worth a look. I'd also suggest Glen More.

~ James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Olson
United States
Troy
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and love Glen More. Lancaster is by the same designer so maybe I will have to give that one a look.

Hadn't thought of CMC, but I am worried that the theme and sparseness of the game might scare of a lot of play group. For example, one of my players loves Stone Age simply because of how pretty the board is so... CMC might be a tough sell.

Caron City was on my list and has only moved up higher thanks to your recommendations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of Matthias Kramer (designer of Glen More & Lancaster), you can also eventually check out Helvetia if it ever comes out in the states, an unconventional worker placement game where your workers can get married to your opponent's workers, meaning a lot more interaction and less downtime than normal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jheaney wrote:
Glen More allows for almost no downtime (seriously, almost none) and is almost worker placement and gives that feel but is closer to Carcassonne with moving followers. It's also got a very short teaching time and a ton of depth. Take a look.

AAgghh... my wife has left the shrink wrapped box to Glen More on the top of our small christmas pile, taunting me everytime I walk by the closet. Needless to say, I'm greatly looking forward to playing this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Fresco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fresco is a realy good game. But it´s not a typical worker placement game, as all players place the workers simultaniously on their onw board (hidden behind a screen), so the choice of actions in independent from the choice of the other players. The interaction dones not happen when placing (as it is in Stone Age and other typical worker placement games), but when resolving the workers. But I´m pretty sure you will like the game.

Among the typical worker placement games (only the first player to place his worken can use this place / action), I´d highly recommend Kingdom of Solomon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.