Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, not for the price (although at $59.99, $89.99 with a mounted map Shenandoah is a little on the pricey side), but for the new, tougher stickers that come with the game.

Fortunately Columbia took the precaution of including in the box a little note warning purchasers that they've switched to a new and stronger adhesive, but let me reinforce that warning. These are not your father's stickers any more. I've never had a lot of trouble with stickers coming off my earlier Columbia games with the exception of an old edition of Rommel in the Desert where it was a real problem, but it does happen occasionally. But I have seen complaints online so obviously it has been a problem, and it appears that Columbia has taken heed.

But take heed of their warning as well. You WILL need a razor or thin knife to take up the stickers neatly. Trying to peel them up with your fingers risks damage to the sticker edges. Likewise, take special care in applying the stickers because you will have a hard time repositioning a misapplied sticker without leaving some adhesive behind.

The need to apply stickers has always been one of the drawbacks for block games because it usually means you can't just play it out of the box (an issue at, for example, a convention) but the new adhesive will mean this is especially true. Columbia has been pretty good on customer service but I predict they will have to replace an unusually large number of sticker sheets for customers who end up damaging their stickers. As a matter of fact, it probably would have been a good idea to include a double set of the stickers to provide spares (much like GMT's practice)

From my blog at http://pawnderings.blogspot.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting comment about not being able to play out of the box at a con since I always find it faster and easier to sticker a block game than to cut counters.

I do appreciate the extra warning about the adhesive. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Pflugh
United States
Butler
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Game on
badge
Game Time
mbmbmbmbmb
Putting the stickers on now! This is not easy, I have three mistakes already and I am using a small knife. Head the warning above, 7 of the stickers were almost impossible to get off the page, I'm going to simply spray adhesive on one of them, otherwise its not coming off the backing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herodian Smith
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so glad they included the warning note in the box, or I probably would have mauled the first one I tried to peel off. Being super careful, I managed to peel one sticker off the sheet with my fingers and get it applied to a block. It wasn't easy and I won't be doing the rest that way for fear of tearing them. I have put the game aside for now until I decide how I want to attack the stickers. I'm really not sure what to do with a knife in this context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished stickering my blocks.

The exacto/knife method didn't work for me. As thin as they are, I still found the blades to be too thick to work effectively.

Instead, I bent back the sheet while using my thumbnail to carefully peel away the corner of each sticker. All of my stickers turned out OK using this method. (I practiced on a few of the blank stickers first.)

However, I am also a master of kung fu and a third degree initiate in the secret adhesive arts - so your mileage may vary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Buergel
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
I was able to get most of the stickers up with my fingernails, by bending the sheet as described here. However, once I got down to the last few rows of Union stickers, all four corners remained stubbornly stuck to a layer of paper. I got one off, but it still had some backing paper, so I had to glue it down. For the remaining ones, I actually busted out some tweezers. By carefully scraping at the edges of the stickers, I could usually just barely grab the edge and then peel them up carefully. That worked on the remaining ones I couldn't get with my fingernails.

But overall, the new adhesive turned what used to be a nice, relaxing bit of preparation into a stressful exercise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Troutman
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
I am called Huginn..., or is it Muninn..., I forget...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yikes!

Was able to get all the stickers off the backing sheet and on the blocks using a thin blade. And without loss of sticker, finger, blood, or patience.

But it took twice as long as usual and I really had to pay attention to what I was doing.

I never experienced any problems with the "old" adhesive. Were other people having a lot of trouble with stickers coming off before?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jbuergel wrote:

But overall, the new adhesive turned what used to be a nice, relaxing bit of preparation into a stressful exercise.

Completely agree. Had the same issue with the bottom four union stickers too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herodian Smith
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cleitus the Black wrote:
jbuergel wrote:

Ok, I'm going to give this another go. It seems I started with the very stickers that gave everyone else trouble, so maybe the rest won't be as bad as the one I barely managed to get peeled up in one piece. It was from the bottom row of the union stickers.

Edit: Success! I had no trouble at all with the other stickers, just that tricky bottom row where I happened to start. I got them all done by hand, no problem. Rolling the backing down to pop up a corner worked fine on the rest of the rows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peel carefully fellows, regardless of your excitement with the game. I've found bending the sheet then carefully lifting a corner, you can pull the stickers off just right. Now, as you get to the bottom of the sheet, the adhesive is somewhat stronger. When you go to place them on a block, ensure you have the sticker lined up straight. Once the sticker is started to be attached to a block there's no going back, except at the possibilty of a torn sticker. Otherwise, once placed, the sticker won't come off.

Good gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harper
United States
Maricopa
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had this problem with Columbia's Gettysburg game, which I had just purchased two months ago. The first three stickers were fine, but then the next two came off with the paper attached. So I stopped for a moment and went to the store and purchased a glue stick. I was already using a very thin bladed x-acto knife to lift the corner of each sticker, as that was standard practice when applying stickers to my GMT block games. So I needed to take more time in peeling away the sticker, and at the slightest feeling of resistance I would stop and try another corner. The glue stick worked well for those that were messed up and needed some help being affixed to the block. But I think I had only 3 stickers total that needed glue stick help. By the time I was done with the sticker project for Gettysburg, I had pretty much worked out the method described in the note that came with Shenandoah. Still, it is much appreciated that they now put this note in, rather than having it come as a surprise, especially as I have never had any problems at all with any of my GMT block games.

I picked up Columbia's Julius Caesar game last month, and that one stickered with absolutely no problem. So I was surprised to see the note when I opened my copy of Shenandoah (my first Columbia pre-order), and was prepared for another experience like Gettysburg. But I took it nice and slow, and did not have one problem with any of the Shenandoah stickers.

I have really good luck lining up the stickers on the blocks. I will visually line up the top and right side of the sticker with the block, and roughly 99% of the time it looks good after I have pressed the sticker down. In the other 1%, I will watch it as I start to press down, starting just in one corner and working towards the center. If it starts to look like it is going to be too lopsided, I will stop, gently pry off the corner of the sticker that is attached to the block, and re-position. Usually the second time is all that is needed. On those occasions when I really mess up, I bring out the glue stick. It would be nice if there were a few extra stickers, like in GMT, but perhaps that is unreasonable to expect, given that the entire sheet would have to be duplicated.

I also picked up Academy Games' Strike of the Eagle block game, but the stickers all went on with no hassle at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
You've surely bought yourself a fine set of games. Nice gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. R. Tracy
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I struggled with my stickers, munging a couple of them. In addition to the super-stickiness, the decal layer wasn't scored through to the backing, so I had more arts 'n crafts work than usual. I dropped a note to Columbia and they sent me not one but *two* extra sticker sheets! Great customer service. We've played one game so far - a quick Rebel win based on some early Federal stumbles, so no real conclusions yet about gameplay.

JR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This morning I've stickered my blocks. The initial rows of stickers didn't cause much trouble (I started at the top with the Confederate stickers) and thought I was lucky because all went well with stickers coming off rather easily. The trouble came finally with the last few Union stickers. The layer on which the stickers were stuck came off with the stickers and even the use of a sharp knife (which I normally never use) was without succes. Eventually I used some blank stickers to firmly attach to the backside of the layer that came off with the printed stickers and managed to carefully peel off the printed stickers from the layer and put them unharmed on the blocks. It took a bit longer than stickering other games (and I own a few dozen blockgames and stickered literally hundreds of blocks) but the result is more than satisfying.

Edits: typos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Cleitus the Black wrote:
jbuergel wrote:

Same here. I wonder WHY the new adhesive was deemed necessary. I have almost every game from Columbia, and not a single block ever lost a sticker...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
marnaudo wrote:
Cleitus the Black wrote:
jbuergel wrote:

Same here. I wonder WHY the new adhesive was deemed necessary. I have almost every game from Columbia, and not a single block ever lost a sticker...

Me too... I have been sticking blocks since 1759, and never had a problem with stickers detaching. Seems like a long time whe I put it like that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my copy a few days ago and had no big trouble with the stickers. The warning here was very helpful, as some of the Union labels came off the sheet only with the help of a knife. However, I had that happen in the past with the old kind of stickers, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pitsbrgparatrpr wrote:
Putting the stickers on now! This is not easy, I have three mistakes already and I am using a small knife. Head the warning above, 7 of the stickers were almost impossible to get off the page, I'm going to simply spray adhesive on one of them, otherwise its not coming off the backing.

Even with the warning - even using a thin knife - I still had three stickers that had such strong glue that the back paper seperated rather than release the sticker.

I have stickered more than 13 Columbia games and this is the first one that I have ever had trouble with.

I'm hoping they go back to the weaker glue and I hope I can get three replacement stickers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan van der Laan wrote:
This morning I've stickered my blocks. The initial rows of stickers didn't cause much trouble (I started at the top with the Confederate stickers) and thought I was lucky because all went well with stickers coming off rather easily. The trouble came finally with the last few Union stickers. The layer on which the stickers were stuck came off with the stickers and even the use of a sharp knife (which I normally never use) was without succes. Eventually I used some blank stickers to firmly attach to the backside of the layer that came off with the printed stickers and managed to carefully peel off the printed stickers from the layer and put them unharmed on the blocks. It took a bit longer than stickering other games (and I own a few dozen blockgames and stickered literally hundreds of blocks) but the result is more than satisfying.

Edits: typos.

Brilliant advice - thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
da pyrate wrote:
Brilliant advice - thanks.

You're welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. R. Tracy
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shaynerichards72 wrote:
Whatever you people are smoking, I want some...

I have never had a sticker issue with any CG games or any other block games...mind you my eyesight is youngish and hand still steady and I can't understand how people mess stickering up? It is very simple, peel it line up the edge, on it goes. Put it on gently and start from the starting edge, this helps retrieve it if it's going crooked before its fully down. Then press it firmly when you are happy with it. The blocks have gloss paint, this and the light application mean that even strong adhesive won't be an issue...I experimented with it... Even my 5 year old daughter can do it without messing up. And a fingernail does the trick better than a knife as the finger nail goes under, the knife can separate...the trick is to be a guitarist with nice long sharp nails.

Seriously people if you are that bad at sticker application then pay the 10 dollars for the stickering service from CG or get your grand kids to do it for you.

I can sticker a whole CG game in under 5 minutes error free, maybe it's just the weather where I am?.?...

Your stickering prowess is formidable indeed, as is your daughter's. However, the issue here isn't putting the stickers on the blocks, it's getting the stickers off the backing sheet. Shenandoah seems to have a manufacturing quirk with some of the sticker sheets. As noted above, Columbia promptly provided replacement sheets when notified.

JR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Richards
Australia
Mittagong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough, looks like I am the one smoking then lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Looby
United States
Wadhams
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shenandoah: Jackson’s Valley Campaign Ver.1.1

I received my copy of the revised rules v.1.1! I think it's time to revisit the game! Jackson is scary and it is a challenge to tame him!

The major changes are:

1) 4.21 Headquarters: HQs no longer count for move limits or stacking in supply.

2) 4.23: Cavalry that retreat on the first round of battle must make a straggler roll if enemy cavalry is present.

3) 5.11 Command Range: Jackson HQ now has a CR2, however Jackson CR 2 cannot be traced through a blue town, unless occupied by CSA units.

4) 5.13: Stragglers: CSA units “Foot cavalry”, now fail with only a roll of 1-2.

5) 8.1: Shields: Units can move, retreat or regroup off-map to gain VPs. SPs can be used to rebuild Shields units’ off-map.

6) Initiative: Except in turn 1, high roller chooses who is Player 1 for the Game Turn.

Notes: Clarified CSA rail movement is any distance along the line. Optional detachment rule does not apply to HQs.
Jackson CR2: For the record this HQ may not trace CR2 through a contested or enemy controlled town!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You "received" rules? Did Columbia send them to you? Are they free?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.