Popular Tags: [View All]
Beans
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are some versions listed as an actual item that we can add to our collection, but some are "versions" under the main game?

When I go to add some games, I'm able to add the version itself, but for others, I have to choose the main (example - Xeko: Indonesia).

I'm updating my collection and not sure which I should be choosing or if this is a situation where I should be submitting a game or not?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some games are so different from their other versions, they get separate entries. This is a judgement call based on new components, different rules etc, so there's often disagreement if any given entry should be a version under the main game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beans
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Some games are so different from their other versions, they get separate entries. This is a judgement call based on new components, different rules etc, so there's often disagreement if any given entry should be a version under the main game.

Ah, I guess that makes sense.

Monopoly certainly doesn't need 800 different entries, then! haha

Thanks for clarifying!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro S
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Megawatts (950) Vs Power Grid (5)? Just because the different map?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nattitude wrote:

Monopoly has so many different versions because of the Monopoly Fiat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beans
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
nattitude wrote:

Monopoly has so many different versions because of the Monopoly Fiat.

Haha, that is awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
nattitude wrote:
Why are some versions listed as an actual item that we can add to our collection, but some are "versions" under the main game?

When I go to add some games, I'm able to add the version itself, but for others, I have to choose the main (example - Xeko: Indonesia).

I'm updating my collection and not sure which I should be choosing or if this is a situation where I should be submitting a game or not?

Thanks!

It's just one of those infuriating (for some) little problems with BGG. Every now and then you get a minor flame war over classification of versions - some people get very worked up over it, some don't really care (frequently those who update or create the entries, and thus get up the noses of those who do care), and it seems that not only does BGG not have any standard classifcation system for this sort of thing, but calls for one are repeatedly ignored. Go figure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beans
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
nattitude wrote:

Thanks!

It's just one of those infuriating (for some) little problems with BGG. Every now and then you get a minor flame war over classification of versions - some people get very worked up over it, some don't really care (frequently those who update or create the entries, and thus get up the noses of those who do care), and it seems that not only does BGG not have any standard classifcation system for this sort of thing, but calls for one are repeatedly ignored. Go figure.

For myself, I don't really want to have four different listings of what looks like the same game in my collection...I have to classify in comments which I feel doesn't mean much to someone who's checking the comments out for a particular game (which is more likely over someone reading my comments on my own games lol).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.