5 Posts

DungeonQuest (third edition)» Forums » General

Subject: So I tried playing a solo version of this game and... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
Well lets just say I didn't come out alive.

At the begining of the game, the first chamber was a trap chamber and I suffer a few wounds. Then I was moving very safely through the dungeon when I came acroos the portcilus (the gate) and tried to do an attribute test which I failed. So I tried to do it again, but I had a rune card that says if attribute test fails, discard this card to correct the attribute and automaticly pass the test. I then back up and decided to go through the catacombs after I revealed the passage down. Upon exiting, I was a few spaces away from the treasure chamber. During the course from start to finish line I collected just about 1,550 worth of loot. I was able to reach the treasure in the middle of the boardgame. But prior to that I had to fight a monster in the previous chamber so I fought it and as I saw that the monster had lower attacks than me, it was able to do a counter attack and I suffered more wounds. After killing the monster, I was down to four lives. The next dungeon card I drawed was a trap; it was one of the cards that say threat. and it took away all my health and I lost

now a few things I've been having a hard time with and finding things that doesn't make sense

- If you are the only player and you draw a card that says you have to roll an attribute or say "if your attempt failed, your turn imedieatly ends" does that take into affect or do you simply ingore every card saying you lose a turn, or your turn ends right away?

- Every time you complete your turn and start the next turn, do you have to move the sun marker between each completed turn?

- I still don't know about how the combat mechanics/system works. so the first round you draw five cards (and a power card) does the turn end when you are down with your last card, or do you constantly keep adding more cards in the hand till you get five cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgamefreak2geek wrote:
- If you are the only player and you draw a card that says you have to roll an attribute or say "if your attempt failed, your turn imedieatly ends" does that take into affect or do you simply ingore every card saying you lose a turn, or your turn ends right away?

Your turn immediately ends, you move the sun marker, and you start your next turn.

Quote:
- Every time you complete your turn and start the next turn, do you have to move the sun marker between each completed turn?

Yes.

Quote:
- I still don't know about how the combat mechanics/system works. so the first round you draw five cards (and a power card) does the turn end when you are down with your last card, or do you constantly keep adding more cards in the hand till you get five cards?

IIRC the power card is included in the five cards, so you should start with four ordinary combat cards and a power card. Each round you draw back up to five cards. Combat only ends with the defeat of one of the combatants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
Yeah but if I'm playing solo and I have to fight one of the monsters and he deals me a lot of damage, then the game is over for me?

Now I realize that this game is unfair.. Would Dungeon Run be any better

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snappy Dan
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I own both and, IMO, DQ is a much better solo experience than DR. If you're playing DQ solo with only one hero and you're concerned about the game ending quickly, play it with four heroes, which I think is best for solo play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mysterio wrote:

I own both and, IMO, DQ is a much better solo experience than DR. If you're playing DQ solo with only one hero and you're concerned about the game ending quickly, play it with four heroes, which I think is best for solo play.

I'll have to second this. DungeonQuest is a superior solo game, in my opinion. Dungeon Run falls really short in this category. However, for multiplayer setups, particularly above 3 players, I think Dungeon Run is the better game. It has a LOT more interaction . . . in fact, the game is based around it, which is why the solo variant is so bad. It's somewhat simple, but with 4+ people playing it, it is a blast. I played with 5 people last night, and had a terrific game.
TL;DR: DungeonQuest can be fun with a group, but I don't think it has the same potential as Dungeon Run. DQ wins solo, though, all day long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.