Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
From what little information was provided with the AP, it would seem as if they are, but of course failing them will do nothing.

Clarification is required however, I think, because as more and more cards are used for "pointless" Escape tests, the chances of putting Gollum in the discard pile increase. I want to limit the chances of an all to familiar Hunt for Gollum situation.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Gutowski
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, you perform all escape tests that encounter deck forces you to.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The only escape tests that would happen with Gollum out of play would be tests required by Treachery cards. (Quest card 2B also would technically require an escape test, but since there are no tokens on Gollum if he's not in play, it would involve drawing no escape cards.) Since these tests usually have some non-Gollum effect (i.e. raising threat), they still need to be performed. Yes, it's lame that Gollum could end up discarded as an escape card, but them's the breaks. My partner and I play with a house rule that if Gollum pops up as an escape card or Shadow card, we put him in the staging area and draw a card to replace him. Otherwise this quest would be incredibly tedious.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You only take escape tests when required, and they are required when Gollum is in the staging area (both because his card sais so, and because a card from the encounter deck might ask you an escape test).
So if Gollum escapes, you don't need to take tests.

BTW: he is the one trying to escape, so, if he has escaped, there would be no point in preventing him from escaping.

Edit: I read what the others wrote, but, frankly, I disagree.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ikim wrote:
You only take escape tests when required, and they are required when Gollum is in the staging area (both because his card sais so, and because a card from the encounter deck might ask you an escape test).
So if Gollum escapes, you don't need to take tests.

BTW: he is the one trying to escape, so, if he has escaped, there would be no point in preventing him from escaping.

Edit: I read what the others wrote, but, frankly, I disagree.

I certainly agree that it's unthematic to have escape tests even without having Gollum in play, but there's nothing in the rules that indicates you should do otherwise. None of the cards say "If Gollum is in the staging area, perform an escape test..." or anything similar. I suppose you could think of the Gollum-less escape tests as efforts by Gollum to shake you off of his track as you try to hunt him down again.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AdmiralACF wrote:
Ikim wrote:
You only take escape tests when required, and they are required when Gollum is in the staging area (both because his card sais so, and because a card from the encounter deck might ask you an escape test).
So if Gollum escapes, you don't need to take tests.

BTW: he is the one trying to escape, so, if he has escaped, there would be no point in preventing him from escaping.

Edit: I read what the others wrote, but, frankly, I disagree.

I certainly agree that it's unthematic to have escape tests even without having Gollum in play, but there's nothing in the rules that indicates you should do otherwise. None of the cards say "If Gollum is in the staging area, perform an escape test..." or anything similar. I suppose you could think of the Gollum-less escape tests as efforts by Gollum to shake you off of his track as you try to hunt him down again.
It is equally unthematic to deal a card to an enemy trapped in a snare, but we do it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I see Escape tests when Gollum is out of play as the heroes trying to catch up with him, and escape tests with negative effects like threat raising definitely need to be resolved either way. Now there are also player cards to potentially pull him out of the encounter discard pile if he's drawn as a shadow effect too.


AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
It is equally unthematic to deal a card to an enemy trapped in a snare, but we do it.


Since the enemy cannot attack when do you resolve the card's shadow effect (step 3 of resolving attacks)? Or do you not resolve it? Do you just keep stacking cards face down on the Snared enemy indefinitely, never flipping them up because it never attacks?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
I see Escape tests when Gollum is out of play as the heroes trying to catch up with him, and escape tests with negative effects like threat raising definitely need to be resolved either way. Now there are also player cards to potentially pull him out of the encounter discard pile if he's drawn as a shadow effect too.


AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
It is equally unthematic to deal a card to an enemy trapped in a snare, but we do it.


Since the enemy cannot attack when do you resolve the card's shadow effect (step 3 of resolving attacks)? Or do you not resolve it? Do you just keep stacking cards face down on the Snared enemy indefinitely, never flipping them up because it never attacks?
You don't resolve, but you don't stack either. You just clear them all up to the discard pile at the end of combat.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair dos. Combined with Shadow of the Past it helps parse the deck for objectives more quickly too. cool
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Barth
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
It is equally unthematic to deal a card to an enemy trapped in a snare, but we do it.

It might be unthematic, but only as long as you don't have a 2nd enemy attacking you that gets dealt a shadow card which forces you to discard the Forest Snare.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Otte
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AdmiralACF wrote:
Quest card 2B also would technically require an escape test, but since there are no tokens on Gollum if he's not in play, it would involve drawing no escape cards.


Drawing zero escape cards does not mean, not doing an escape test. Note, that a tie in escape test means a failure. Thus, if you draw zero escape cards but have zero willpower committed to the escape test (for example, because all your character with non-zero willpower are exhausted) you fail the escape test. That means a reset to 1b even without Gollum in play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Whether you pass or fail the 2B test without Gollum in play, you're going to have to reset to 1B, so you could commit 1 or more willpower and pass the test, but you still have to go back because Gollum is "not captured at this time."

You could make an argument that the cards don't say anywhere (that I can see at least) that Gollum must be in play to win the game, but I'm pretty sure that's not what the designers had in mind.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alexander stark
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdmiralACF wrote:
Whether you pass or fail the 2B test without Gollum in play, you're going to have to reset to 1B, so you could commit 1 or more willpower and pass the test, but you still have to go back because Gollum is "not captured at this time."

You could make an argument that the cards don't say anywhere (that I can see at least) that Gollum must be in play to win the game, but I'm pretty sure that's not what the designers had in mind.


This adventure has been written a bit bad. It doesn't explain in the quest cards if Gollum isn't in the staging area at the end of 2B or if the test escape must be do. It's clear that thematically Gollum must be in play for capture it, but it would be good that in the future the text of the cards will be written better for avoid this questions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.