Subject: Finished First Adventure / Lots of questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenyon Daniel
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It took two solid plays and many hours (20 turns due to a cliffhanger) but I did finish my first adventure successfully. Overall, the game produced an excellent Dr. Who type of story until the second part of the game (around turn 11) where it all fell into a very unfun grind of dice rolling. I have several questions:

Vespiform with Breeding ground goal. Whenever a character dies I have to add 1 vespiform whenever I have an enemy encounter? Vespiform reads as though it is encountered singly and not in groups. As a note, I lost 7 allies in the first adventure: Tallulah, 4 police, 1 fugitive, and 1 small alien. Which means, fighting a single round of combat was impossible as I would be facing a vespiform with brawn 8 +14 for the other seven vespiforms present.

What is the timeline with regards to the placement of eras? My big problem is with Modern vs Present, and does being in the TARDIS change the era due to access to high technology?

Finding the Firestone, in fact it seems like many of the tasks in general, need some strangely high results. The Firestone is Tracking 12. First, if no one has tracking can the role even be made to find it? Second, if one person does have tracking does that add +1 to the roll or simply enable it? Do you have to have a trait to make a roll against that trait? If not, then I understand that each matching trait is a +1 to the roll and not having the trait at all means make the roll with +0.

My main concern is that so many rolls and tasks need 12+ to be successful. With, the average roll being 7 it seems to take an inordinate amount of luck to get anywhere. What is the strategy for getting enough modifiers to handle these things?

In particular, generating DM seemed very difficult. I learned the enemy and goal on Turn 1! (Is that part of the problem?) and had a horrible time getting the DM built up afterwards. Then the cliffhanger hit and I lost 2 DM for that. I spent 9 turns in the TARDIS trying to generate enough DM that the "Trap Vespiform" would have a better than even chance of success. I could not find the Firestone as every character I met ended up killed by vespiform and there wasn't any tracking so a 2d6 +1 for awareness wasn't getting me anywhere.

If the Doctor has no allies (or companions) and knows the enemy and goal, the game feels essentially unwinnable as I have no idea how to generate qualities and such that would be needed. For example, 25 brains was not going to happen.

In combat, if the Doctor escapes leaving others behind does the combat continue with those left behind?

The "successful but not useful" result in e083 is really horrible. As it stands, getting that high roll 12+ (which is probably a couple of turns building up positive modifiers) and losing the ability to research again for a big zero bonus feels like a horrible penalty for what should be a great roll in the game.

The cliffhanger made some issues. I understand that it changes the encounter table to reflect the doubled time for the adventure. However, does it also change other tables such as the vespiform roll on an enemy event (v543)?

Still on the vespiform, enemy roll of 3 - 4 is ridiculously punishing. If the Doctor is by himself, he's dead. There needs to be an alternative to requiring a companion. Also, would an ally suffice in the absence of a companion? Early in the adventure this is a real easy way to get the Doctor killed without any choice from the player.

Overall, the adventure played out very well. Especially in the beginning. It felt very Doctor Who and I was able to weave the story into the events that were happening. The back half of the adventure became an exercise in rolling research in the TARDIS. I suspect that most of my problems stem from the vespiform enemy, which seems overly hard for it's rating (DM: +1) unless you only ever meet 1 of them (and not multiples due to something like the breeding ground goal). Then it may be ok. I also suspect, I don't know the best ways to generate DM and modifiers.

Thanks for any advice or perhaps errors I may have made with the rules. Excellent game, I just don't know how to play it well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of minute details and minor rules that can have a big effect on the game. One thing that isn't spelled out as clearly as perhaps it should is that you only have 12 turns in most adventures. After that, you automatically lose. Which can make for a tense challenge, but it's also nice in that it puts you out of your misery--you don't have to go through a boring dicefest on a march towards the inevitable.

Sounds like you mostly enjoyed the game, though! I hope you stick with it, it's even more fun when you get the hang of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenyon Daniel
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thoroughly enjoyed the game. The 12 turns thing is strange to me, because glancing through the adventures (base book) I didn't see any that were any specific number of turns. So I assume default of 12. In my own game, I used 12 as the limit then hit the cliffhanger, which gave me 24. I was pretty grateful for that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting the session report -let's see if I can help with some answers.

If a Vespiform is breeding then clearly it's using the bodies of the dead to propagate the species - perhaps it ewas due to give birth when you encountered the 'queen'. Losing 7 Characters in an encounter is a tough break - try running away?

Modern is before 1963, Present is 1963-1995.

Tracking 12 - anyone can make a roll, but if you have Tracking then you add +1 to it and multiple Characters having Tracking each add +1 - so it may not be as hard. Plus you can Plan as an Action to get more Tracking. And here you can add Aware (a common trait) and +1 per extra turn, so it does get easier.

Planning gives extra Traits and Qualities. What about trying to Seek Help too?

Yes, if a Character escapes, it still carries on.

'Successful not useful' - them's the breaks I'm afraid..

yes, if an adventure is extended, all Turn values are also extended

Cyanide poisoning is a toughie =-sometimes that'sjust the way it is - but most of the time a Companion with Charisma is commonplace.

Stick with the game - as you get used to it, it gets a lot easier and quicker.

Simon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenyon Daniel
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the assists. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed the game. The rough patches I've assumed were due to my limited experience with the game and limited understanding of how to really "work" the game to my advantage such as not using planning to improve tracking or using the seek help option. Actually, I wasn't using any of the options just running it straight. Now that I've gotten through a game, I feel far more confident at using the options and will do so.

Heh that wasn't the session report... the session report is coming soon! The system helped me generate a great story and I'm looking forward to sharing it.

Even with the rough patches, I cannot wait to play the game again and also teaching my wife how to play it. She's wanting cooperative rules by the way. laugh

I stand by my rating and being a fan of this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the kind words.

A co-op game is there already - you take the Doctor and your wife takes the companion role - or vice versa of course!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
One thing that isn't spelled out as clearly as perhaps it should is that you only have 12 turns in most adventures.

It is on page 4 of the adventure book.

R305. Adventures

You must keep track of the turns in an Adventure as certain encounters become modified and other encounters will be triggered at certain times. All Adventures also have a time limit, usually 12 turns. If you do not Defeat the Enemy before the time limit is reached, then the Enemy has reached their Goal and defeated you. You must lose Luck points equal to the Enemy Goal value minus their Defeat Modifier (so you lose more Luck points if you are Defeated by the Daleks than you would if Defeated by a Graske).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.