Popular Tags: [View All]
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no interest whatsoever in cycling (so long as they don't get in the way when I'm driving), but I do like racing games. Would this be the best choice between the Leader 1 games if I were only buying one? I take it it has the most up to date rules, and it seems it's got some extra variety in road layout.

This assumes it ever gets to the UK, of course...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kazaniecki
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it seems like the natural choice.

Btw I also don't mind car drivers as long as they don't get in the way when I'm cycling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So this is available in the UK now, and I too am torn on whether to get this or the original version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I like it (I decided to buy). My decision was based on the simple fact that I know nothing about cycle racing, and have no great affinity to any one race, so I may as well buy the most recent edition of the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
Well, I like it (I decided to buy). My decision was based on the simple fact that I know nothing about cycle racing, and have no great affinity to any one race, so I may as well buy the most recent edition of the game...

Cool, my interest is because I love cycle racing but normally am not a fan of racing games.

Maybe I'll pick it up, I guess they wouldn't manage a second version of something in the heartland of cycle racing if it didn't have merits as both a game and a representation of the sport.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Vejrum
United Kingdom
Richmond
Surrey
flag msg tools
London On Board - the largest semi-organised group of boardgaming dicks in the known universe.
badge
London On Board - the largest semi-organised group of boardgaming dicks in the known universe.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am no cycling fan and my only interest in cycling is watching parts of the Tour De France on TV every year, but Leader 1 is one of my favourite games.

Leader 1 is a great road cycling-themed racing game with emphasis on resource management, positioning and timing throughout the game; and a strategy of when and how to use some of your riders to slipstream your other riders etc. It gives a good layman's feeling of a road cycling race. It is no good to have been in the lead for much of the game if you have wasted valuable energy and stalls near the end and everybody else overtakes you.

The need for careful resource management throughout the race and everything suddenly being turned upside down at the end is also why some people do not like the game - a long stretch of seemingly pointless just riding along where nothing much happens until you finally get to the "real" race at the end. You need to understand and appreciate that the "real" race at the end very much depends on the little "insignificant" things earlier in the game - missing just 1 energy token may cost you an extra turn at the end and cost you the victory. Just like how many people do not like watching Tour De France etc. where "nothing happens" for hours.

The base game is fine, and preferred as it is by me and others I know and play with, but if you are into cycling and prefer a more realistic cycling game or just some variation then checkout the Garf et al. Leader 2 fan-expansion which adds more realism (at the cost of some complexity).

There should be no reason to get the older "Leader 1" or "Giro d'Italia" games instead of the new "Leader 1: Hell of the North". The 2nd edition "Giro d'Italia" included everything from 1st edition "Leader 1" plus more. I have not seen the details on the new 3rd edition "Leader 1: Hell of the North", but I cannot imagine that they have removed anything significant, so I would get "Leader 1: Hell of the North".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.