Subject: A session report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi from Germany.

The game system of CR-WoA-LoD together with the numerous additions derived from corresponding BGG fora provide a really enjoyable dungeon crawl experience.
Here is the "story" of such a game session.

Enesha read the scroll text again. Would she ever understand what was written there?

Lairs and Chambers, plentiful.
One or two locations.
Bring me what you find before you enter.
Tools of destruction wait in shadows.
Dangerous locations will you see.
From door to door a mission to fulfil.
Peaceful places powerful.
Place it where other things could rest.
Well guarded will they be.
Make them known to readers.
One of four you may receive.
Find them and strike evil merciless.
Gain power as you always dreamt about.
Bring peace where death could be.
All this to your advantage.
Or Darkness ever will be yours.

The sorceress remembered the old man’s words as she got the scroll from him so many days ago: „This is somethin’ very very magic. You will see, the verses keep changin’.“
Meanwhile, she had her doubts if the 13 gold pieces she insisted to pay really had any value apart from helping the old guy.

Placing the scroll back in a small bag, she turned around to watch her companions.
Bruenor, the dwarf fighter, and Catti-Brie, famous archer, sat around the campfire and seemed to be deeply involved in their conversation.
The three adventures formed an uneasy team as they had just met the morning of this very day.
The two had asked the sorceress – they knew that she was a character to be respected – no one wants to be transformed into a toad anyway – but they had never been together on a quest.
„We’re on our way to the old fortress ruin of Atramar.“ „We could need a skilled wizardress ...“ „Sorceress“, Enesha interrupted gently. „... a skilled Sorceress like you. The treasures might be guarded by some unpleasant fellows, you know“, Bruenor grumbled.
Sometimes the unexpected and quick decisions are the right ones.

Next morning the small team headed towards Atramar.
„Look at this! This once might have been a nice one.“ Catti-Brie pointed at a broken mirron next to the small path they followed.
Enesha picked it up. „I wonder ...“, she thought and produced the scroll.
One line had disappeared! „Bring me what you find before you enter.“ She remembered each and every word of this magic text.
„Guys! We’re on the right track here.“ The other two looked a little bit puzzled.
„Those magic people are weird. I knew it.“ The dwarf uttered to his friend.

They reached the fortress ruin around noon. A quick scan of the walls destroyed long ago and the entrance to the dungeons was found. Nothing else seemed worth a look.
The three adventurers looked at each other, readied their weapons, gathered themselves and descended the stairs to enter the dark place ahead.

The entrance door opened easily ... to easily as suddenly a gush of acid hit the team. Enesha could dodge this first trap, the others were too slow. „Now that hurts. Its damn burning!“ „Wipe it off and shut up, dwarf“, the archer replied, grinning all over her face.

„Aaaahhh! After such long time! Visitors! Three at a time! And two beauties amongst them. Too bad I have to kill then sacrifice you all to Brodik, my good god.“

Enesha drew her sword – the Flaming Heart – and rushed forward to attack the Ogre Mage, the sentry to the entrance of the dungeons of Atramar.

All this is a narrative based on the game set-up and introduction phase to a play of WoA 04 Closed Doors.

Any interest in turn 01 and following ... ?

Cheers
U.L.H.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
YES PLEASE

sorry caps laugh

would you also add a turn by turn game photograph?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here is the "story".

Enesha pointed the Flaming Heart towards the ceiling, spoke a magic word and she was bathed in white light for a split second. She then cast another spell, a ghost suddenly appeared next to her and rushed towards the ogre. The magic creature released a blue lightning that hit the ogre right in its face. Blinded and crying in agony, the monster had no chance to defend against the sorceress’ strike with the red glowing sword. One swing of the blade and the ogre was decapitated.
„That’s what I call a swift attack“, Bruenor said dryly.
Enesha looked around. A door was next to the sentry’s body. She slightly pushed the wooden door. It opened. „There’s a small room here. Empty but for a table.“
Catti-Brie watched as the sorceress quickly touched one of the stars of her necklace. It disappeared! “What does that mean”, she asked herself.
The dwarf walked a few paces and encountered another door. This one was firmly locked. “Why is it always me?”
The archer passed Enesha, entered the just found location and checked a door there.
“What a gloomy place this is! But empty.”
Enesha entered the gloomy place. “Understood! The builders of this dungeon must have been very fond of doors. They are …” Another verse of the scroll fell into place. But what was the mission?
Carefully the girl opened the door. Her instinct told her: “Duck!” She did. A volley of darts missed her. “There’s something here! On that platform ahead. Catti-Brie had also seen it.
Suddenly a white globe dropped from the ceiling and crashed on the floor turning everything into ice. Enesha instantly fell to the ground. “Outch! Don’t get closer! This is a bad place to enter and move around.”
The archer nodded: “As you order, mighty sorceress!”
A loud crash was heard. “Must have been the dwarf. Their solution to get rid of locked doors.”
The archer turneed around to … “Leave that table alone! It might be of great use for us. Later!” Enesha relaxed as she watched Catti-Brie moving away from the table.
As Enesha entered the platform, she checked the door there (“Why am I not surprised?”) and detected a corridor turning right. All was empty. All was quiet.
The room filled with ice, slippery and dangerous now separated the sorceress from her two companions.
The archer took a closer look at the remnants of the ogre and found … a magic word to banish ice! “Meltaway”, she said. And so it was. “Nice job”, said Enesha. The team could join forces again.
“Not my day!” said Bruenor as he entered the workshop, meticiously moving to avoid hitting any mushrooms seemingly everywhere in this room. At last he arrived at another door, tried it, opened, and felt the rock as it hit his helmet. “Definitely not my day!”
The floor behind him cracked and the dwarf heard a hissing sound. “Poisonous Gas! Definitely!”
Enesha finally checked the object on the platform. “Nice place. Makes one feel good. Maybe a good resting place.” Her experience and intuition made her jump away from this nice place though. The green slime still hit her painfully but the disruptive substance did not destroy any of her equipment. “This dungeon is really full of surprises."
Bruenor hurried to leave the poisoned workshop, and encountered another trapped door. “Next time I’ll use my axe rightaway.” A small corridor lay ahead of him, with a solid metal door at the other end. “Forget the axe. This requires a key, I suppose.” He looked around. Movement! Two huge bats were they. They also had seen him. But they kept the distance. Wrong! One did not move, but the other started circling around the dwarf.
No trouble for the dwarf? There definitely was a problem now for the sorceress. Two Gargoyles stepped forward from the dark shadows of the corridor near the platform, claws ready to rip the flesh and bones from the human intruder. The first one furiously attacked, hit and Enesha fell to her knees in pain. But she uttered “Curse You”, ran the Gargoyle through with her sword and the ancient power of sorceresses destroyed the elemental instantly. This did not stop the other one. Again, the girl suffered a heavy wound, blood was pouring out of many wounds now. And yet, the creature made of flesh and stone had also done its very last evil deed. “A few more such battles and I’m ready for some serious healing.”
“Not bad for a highty-tighty sorceress”, Catti-Brie said. She had witnessed the short but bloody fight. “It has ruined your nice frock though.” “I take that as a compliment.”
The archer tried another door of the room that had seen so much ice before. “Let’s see what is beyond …” The door seemed to explode. The girl was thrown to the ground.
“She has disturbed a nightmare. Very aggressive horses right from hell.” She faced the new threat. But the four-legged terror kept attacking Catti-Brie. It left the secret cave and its burning hooves found their target again. The room’s floor was sputtered with Catti-Brie’s blood. “I must help her and destroy this hellish creature.” The nightmare raced towards the table room then turned around. Its next attack would be against the sorceress. The Flaming Heart gleamed blood-red.
Enesha knew that the distance to the nightmare was too big to get into close combat before the monster would charge her. So she stepped forward, switched weapons and threw a couple of her shuriken. They hit. Eyes and neck. But they didn’t bring the enemy down.
Catti-Brie, still suffering from the attack, watched as the sorceress made the last two stars of her necklace disappear. The ghost was back and this time deliverd the finishing blow. The nightmare ceased to exist as quickly as it had burst out of its secret cave a few moments before. For a short moment an aura of blue light surrounded the beautiful sorceress.
“Message understood! Never get too close to that table over there.”
Enesha smiled in reply.
The dwarf seemed to have missed this message as he suddenly appeared near it. “Those bats are hard to hit. They are fast and agile.” “You’re getting old, chap.”
Cattie-Brie stood up, swallowed a purple colored healing potion and groaned: “Why does it always have to taste so horrible?” She saw the bat, aimed and the arrow was on its way to hit the beast pursuing the dwarf. But it missed. “Hahaha!” the dwarf roared. “Who’s getting old here?”
“You can handle that yourself,” Enesha explored another wall and door of the dungeon. “Nice runes here on the wall but I have no idea what they mean …" Right after she had looked at the last of those symbols, the door in front of her opened. “This kind of magic is no good. Guys, get over here, quickly. This might be …” The large door slid to the side and beyond Enesha saw a huge chamber, a huge black desk-shaped rock – a crude altar, she assumed – and lots of adversaries. They seemed to have waited for her …
“Your miserable existence has come to an end”, the sorceress steeled herself for the inevitable battle. Two driders unleashed sticky webs and raced to their target. But to their surprise, the sorceress was not immobilized – just hit – as her power of Blessing kept her freedom of maneuver.
“Enesha, I’ll help”, yelled the dwarf and attacked using a wand of fiery bolts. It was a long range attack, but the magic bullets found their targets and the drider was riddled to pieces.
“Nice shot”, Catti-Brie said, as Bruenor passed her running to join the fight.
The bats closed in, now dangerously close to the archer.
A skull lord unleashed a skull of flame and the brutal attack hit. Enesha fell. “One man down”, yelled the dwarf, more determined than ever to kill the enemy. The second skull lord grinned then walked forward to destroy the dwarf.
Catti-Brie went into battle trance, and then shot at a bat. This time, it had no chance. The girl moved forward, next arrow ready.
Zillions of spiders moved towards the remaining two adventurers, completely ignoring the sorceress. Mistake!
Enesha was not dead, far from it. She was ready to kill and she started a Path of Death. The first skull lord went down first, his head chopped off by a blade shimmering red in anger. His companion came next, this time the Flaming Heart cut his body open. The spiders still in the chamber simply dispersed as so many of them were annihilated by the red hot sword. But it was not over. Enesha left the chamber and killed the remaining drider as if splitting a piece of wood. And finally, the second spider swarm also disintegrated.
All this took less than a minute, the sorceress covered all over in blood. She stared at the two companions. “Hey! It’s us. You left none living.” “Relax, relax.”
“Guys! Do you see those runes? They say …” “You can read them?” “Of course, it’s a rare dialect but no problem to get the message.” “So what does it say?” “Cover my back, Catti.” "Hohoho."
“This chamber contains a place where evil is worshipped. Destroy the altar and fortune may re-enter the walls of this fortress again. Or so it says.”
“Then let’s do it!” Bruenor moved to the altar.
The remaining bat flew towards the girls. Catti-Brie shot it down. “I’ll not miss again.”
“Bad news!” The dwarf said. “This is a desecrated altar! We might struggle to get out of this place.” “What do you mean?” “We can be drawn deeper and deeper into this dungeon.”
“Step by step. We must destroy this altar, then we will see.”
Enesha also entered the chamber. All was quiet.
Bruenor struck the evil alter with his axe and applied a power strike. “This will be finished very soon.”
“Something’s out there. It’s getting closer. We better hurry.”
“It’s silent again. Let’s finish our job here.”
Enesha walked to the altar and struck it with her sword. The black rock was crushed and utterly destroyed.
“Look over there!” “Yeah! A way out of this foul place.”
The dwarf left the chamber and placed himself at the bottom of the ladder leading upwards to the surface and safety.
“That’s a nice one”, Catti-Brie said as she found a Dragon Shield buried under the bloody remnants of the skull lords and countless burned and smashed spiders.
“Time to leave”, Enesha said. She was the last exiting the dungeon of Atramar.
The team made camp a few miles away from the fortress ruin.
Enesha checked the magic scroll.

One or two locations.

Tools of destruction wait in shadows.
Dangerous locations will you see.

Peaceful places powerful.
Place it where other things could rest.
Well guarded will they be.
Make them known to readers.

Find them and strike evil merciless.
Gain power as you always dreamt about.
Bring peace where death could be.
All this to your advantage.

Five lines had disappeared.
“Not bad, I suppose.”
As she looked on, new lines appeared …

I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed playing another adventurer of CR-WoA-LoD. The game lasted 10 turns.

Here is the final state of the dungeon.

The toppled Triceratops indicates that currently no Encounter cards are to be drawn.
The white circle markers indicate that the locations now contain something unknown. An adventurer entering such a tile would trigger something like traps, wandering monsters, an ambush, etc.
The yellow HP markers indicate how many times a location can still be searched.
The altar was found in the bottom most chamber tile.
Note the Workshop full of mushrooms and poisonous gas.
The yellow discs (right of the picture) indicate that Lair encounters could have been applied, but none was ever drawn.
The table could have been used to place a mirror there but none was found.
The Lucky Charm treasure belonged to the Nightmare but no adventure ever retrieved it.

I did not provide "turn-by-turn" pictures this time.
Let's see what the reactions to this session report will be.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uwe, wow, all sorts of elements from the 3 games and various variants in play.

How do you use the yellow discs to integrate the Lair Deck into your system?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for this reply.

Here is my system to integrate the Crypt and the Lair Encounters.
Whenever a Skull tile is placed, increase the Crypt Encounter score by 1. The score is 0 at start of the game.
Whenever a Closed Door marker is to be placed or used, add 1 to the Lair Encounter score. The score is 0 at start of the game.
When a Crypt Encounter card is drawn, check the corresponding score. If greater 0, reduce it by 2 (or 1 if score was only 1) and apply the encounter.
When a Lair Encounter card is drawn, check the corresponding score. ...

This way, the chance for such extra encounters grow during the flow of a game. The system keeps the balance as each such occurrence lowers the probability again to avoid too many of those special encounters. But sometimes they still really hit hard.

Too soft?
Just increase the starting score of one or both scores by 1, 2, 3 or more. The TDF is handy here, again.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a clever way to balance the various encounters in the game.

Next question: What triggers the drawing of a Crypt or Lair card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid

All Crypt and Lair Encounter cards are simply that: Encounter cards.
They are shuffled into all the other "normal" Encounter cards.

Encounters cards may be drawn due to Room/Corridor Content cards, Search results, other Encounters, Treasures, Named Event cards, etc. etc.

Important: the "standard" Encounter card draw (i.e. at start of the Villain phase if the active adventurer either did not add a new tile or one with a black arrow) only takes place if the overall dungeon situation is not too dangerous. This way the team cannot be steamrolled by a never ending flow of Encounter cards.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.