Frank The Tank
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was trying to come up with a way to make longer in-depth campaigns for the DnD board games and came up with the following below. Would something like this work or is it just not viable with the way the game is made / intended for?

I think it would be great to buy "one use" long adventures that can be broken up into chucks so that people can play long detailed adventures like 4th edition but using the Boardgame materials. Even after you go though the long adventure, it wouldn't be a total waste as you would be able to use all of the figures / cards / tiles / etc in future games.

With that said here we go.

It could simply just be the book, or it could include things like one boss monster with card, a couple of unique regular monsters to be used with the game, a couple of special tiles, treasure cards etc.

I could see something like this retail for $20-$30 and sell decently well as it adds alot to extend the current game you have and is cheap enough where it isn't that big of a deal for the time you would get out of it. After the hard work for Wizards to actually come up with the basic rules for something like this to work within the rules of the game they could simply take old adventures and "shoehorn" them in to work. They would be cheap to print as there wouldn't be much inside these packs besides a book, some cardboard, and a couple figures but would still be a good buy in the eyes of the customer.This would be a good way to add on to any of the existing DnD games and would not be able to be played as a stand alone game so it would help Wizards get more money out of us without cannibalizing sales of the other games.

First and most important is having a more in-depth quest / adventure that would take multiple play troughs if you want to keep that "plays in an hourish" theme for these games or make it an all day event. I think someone where around 8 hours of total playtime would be enough for each campaign pack but I am open to what you all think. It would essentially be a self contained campaign that would use most of the parts from "big box" games but add in some stuff you can only get in these packs and then after you are done it would allow you to add all of the pieces to the "basic" game after your done with it as you see fit.

The adventure book could just generate each part / map of the adventure randomly just like the basic game or you could use the book to show maps on how to make premade dungeons. You could even include this as a way to introduce some sort of DM like play style to the game. One player might be the DM, but would still play a normal hero. They would just know the adventure and say / do things as needed and not be able to make decisions as it deals with the story like," I think we should search this room for hidden doors (wink wink)". I could see the book for the whole line of quests / adventures being about the same size as the adventure book included in the big box games is now.As for actual pieces you could include things like:

1:Boss Monster. Doesn't have to be huge, just cool. Could be painted or not depending on price point.

1-4: Unique Monsters that fit the adventure / setting. Again, could be more or less and painted or not according to price point.

1-4: Map tiles with cool rules printed on them (like the -4 AC) that go with the adventure or different sizes / looks like a house or whatever used in the adventure. If you wanted to, you could then include these in your games afterwards.

X: Treasure, encounter, chamber, ally, etc., cards. Since this add-on would be geared towards more "seasoned" players you could maybe have more complicated cards or do things that you might not normally do in a box game. I could see things like NPC encounter cards that do fun stuff like popping out allies for you to control or whatever. You can really have fun with these as it would be optional to include them afterwards so if you don't like it you wouldn't have to use it.

X: Tokens as needed for the adventures. Being a huge fan of the treasure, door and coffin tokens, anything that could be used like this, is a plus.

I think the hardest part about this is deciding if you want to make it "generic enough" so that it can be played with any of the box games (most likely), or tie it to a certain game like saying "Castle Ravenloft Required" on the box. I guess you could make it generic but then say something like," If you have CR, use X Monster here, if not, use random Xexp monster instead, or whatever.

Last I want to say that as a gamer, I fall along the gameplay side of things over the lore side so some of you may not like that you would be doing some campaign that is geared towards a CR style lore and then a goblin or bear jumps out. You could always change and adjust the monster deck to fit the lore as you see fit. The only issue I see with this is the tiles. They would have to either be all dungeon / grey type tiles or the adventure would have to include close to 20 something tiles if you wanted to do an outdoor part of the quest. Then again, this could be a good way to incorporate many different style tiles into the game without having to dedicate an entire game around it.

As for adding the forest or whatever tiles into the basic game afterwards, you could just have a 2 transition tiles, one where you shuffle it into the dungeon stack and when drawn makes you use the "forest stack" and the 2nd one could be shuffled into the "forest stack" that leads you back into the normal stack or whatever.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plenty of good ideas there Frank. As most of us know, Wizards will be releasing an update of their miniature skirmish game (hopefully soon!) and that they would come with monster cards for the adventure games. Since there are various factions in the skirmish game, players could buy 1 that suited whichever of the boxed sets they wanted to expand.

The skirmish game also uses tiles so it would be so extremely cool if they made the tiles compatible with the adventure games although many on their forums have voiced unhappiness if this would be the case. If it was compatible though, it would be an excellent way of introducing additional tiles for the adventure games.

Then all Wizards would need to do is release FREE adventures that make use of certain faction minis/tiles and a particular boxed set.

They could then target 2 markets with 1 product - gamers who just want to play the skirmish game and gamers who want to use the components to expand the adventure games.

Let's hope their designers are thinking along these lines as well. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of good thoughts!
As cool as it sounds, I doubt WotC will do something like that, but it is not out of our scope to accomplish it here at BGG...

If anything (and I really mean if) they might do hero packs. Three minis, three hero tiles, and their power cards.

WotC has no reason to make the boardgames more like 4e. It would be a conflict of sales. Rpg gamers and table top gamers are two markets that they are now producing for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.