War of the Ring (First Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: New Page for Second Ed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
magic gecko
Australia
Melbin Oz
flag msg tools
So...Where is the new Entry and Page for Second Edition?

It is a different game because it has different rules.
(I am going to need to do a different Actual Rules for it)

The problems that First ed had are no longer there.
The rulebook is no longer AWFUL.

The second ed should have a different page, with a different FAQ, and a different rating.

Yes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
magic gecko wrote:
The second ed should have a different page, with a different FAQ, and a different rating.

Yes?

No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually no.

I tolerated it with Collector's Edition just because it looks different so it basically needed it's own gallery and general discussion area. The 2nd ed on the other hand is basically the same as the first, just with a new map, bigger cards and a couple new/improved rules.

Most of the rules questions in these forums are still very relevant with the 2nd edition. Same goes with reviews and session reports.

My stance is that having a third entry for basically the same game would stretch the content and community too thin, like butter, scraped over too much bread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hipsu wrote:
Actually no.

I tolerated it with Collector's Edition just because it looks different so it basically needed it's own gallery and general discussion area. The 2nd ed on the other hand is basically the same as the first, just with a new map, bigger cards and a couple new/improved rules.

Most of the rules questions in these forums are still very relevant with the 2nd edition. Same goes with reviews and session reports.

My stance is that having a third entry for basically the same game would stretch the content and community too thin, like butter, scraped over too much bread.

Actually, I wouldn't be too sure of that. I think the jury is still out until we get some non-playtester's opinions on the gameplay and so far there really aren't many. The new edition very much seems to have its own strategies and dynamics which seem to be significantly different from the first ed. Before some sweeping statements such as this can be made, I think you may want to read this thread.

I feel like I am beating a dead horse, but I think WotR players may be having this discussion for a while. I suspect this is a very different game that only looks the same on the surface. I, for one, think we need some comments from players, c'mon folks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Winter
United Kingdom
Hawarden
Deeside
flag msg tools
badge
Someone gave me 88gg for a rules translation and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently the page for WotR is recording that it can be expanded by Battles of the third age, despite it being completely incompatible with 2nd edition.

This alone seems like a good reason to separate them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julio

Hidalgo
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly I don't know about previous discussions, I am new to this game and hopefully will receive it and play it soon. As a newbie it would be great to have a separate entry for the second edition so we cannot get confused about rules, questions and answers, sessions, etc from 1st edition.

I haven't read both rulebooks but the simple idea of knowing there are two "distinct" editions confuses me already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
If games like A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition) have their own listing why not this? I just got the WotR 2nd edition last week and it comes with revised rules, a reworked map, larger cards, and the Nazgul mini is different. It's also not compatible with War of the Ring: Battles of the Third Age. This is not just a reprint!

Edit: added cards...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wojtaszczyk
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. The 2nd edition is going in a totally different direction than the 1st edition+Twilight expansion/CE.

The 2nd edition is a new starting point with the old WoTR versions obsolete or not fully compatible though their pieces overlap and you can play an updated base version if you get the upgrade kit.

If/when the 2nd edition starts rolling out expansions to it, those will not be built for the old 1st edition/Twilight/CE with respect to balance and figures which will push the Twilight/CE version into a separate stagnant niche.

So having a new WoTR (Second Edition) makes sense as a new start point and then include any additional addons to that version with the new BBG listing so it all keeps contained. (the Twilight expansion had it's own more due to the battle games is my understanding)

Atleast that is my 2-cents worth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
I sent a note to one of the co-designers a few days ago to ask his opinion about splitting the second edition onto its own page. His opinion won't be the final word, but I'd like to include it in any consideration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it too much to ask that different versions of the same game be on the same page? The forums and photos could each be separated, but on the same page. A few rules tweaks and different components do not make the 2nd edition a separate game.

If anything, the expansion Battles games should be a separate game page than the "strategic"-level expansion, but they are not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.