Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
André Silva
Brazil
Cuiabá
Mato Grosso
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so, today we played a 4 player game with a Cylon Leader to Ionian Nebula, using Cylon Fleet, exodus execution rules and not using Conflicted Loyalties. In turn order, we were: Gaeta (me), Tory, Tyrol and Cavil.

I start with a Not a Cylon card and 3 antagonistic tokens.

Before sleeper phase we clearly had no cylons. Even Cavil was apparently helping us, so we already assumed he drew a pro-human Agenda. And we played basically against the game until Sleeper Phase.

We hit Sleeper with no difficulties at all: all resources are on blue, and Population was still at the starting point. Now I had only 2 antagonistic tokens and drew another Not a Cylon card.

Tory already started wanting to brig Tyrol, but fortunately she asked my opinion first. I first suspected her, but then Tyrol started taking some pretty big time to make decisions that seemed clear to me, so I started suspecting him too. But we did nothing. Cavil then infiltrates us and help us even more.

Even if Chief was a cylon, he did not seem to want to do anything to harm us. So we got to Crossroads just as easily as we managed Sleeper.

I draw a Crossroads card and already see how screwed I was.
With only 2 antagonistic tokens, I was already in a bad situation for the crossroads cards, but it was worse than I thought. I drew Disturbing Vision! I was the Admiral, by the way. So yeah, I was pretty screwed. Pretty screwed. I had no chance but to execute myself.

And then I remember something else. No one seemed to be a cylon. There is a loyalty card left. Which is the one I'll draw.

I had no other chance, so I did it. And guess what was my new loyalty? Cylon. And the draw treachery one - useless.
Obviously I lost. But turning into a cylon at distance 8 is really not fun. And Cavil had a Join The Colonials.

Have we done anything wrong by the way? Or was it just really bad luck? I just thought maybe we could shuffle mine loyalties with the unnused ones and I draw 1 or 2. But then I still had a chance to turn out to be a cylon this far on the game, or that there would be no cylon at all the whole game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it was really bad luck
Still, Join The Colonials always screws the game for the poor cylons (especially for the poor LONE cylon in a 4p game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You add another 'You are not a Cylon' card to the loyalty deck and shuffle it, whenever you need to draw a new card. Still a 50/50 chance of becoming the Cylon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All you really could have done would be to get rid of more trauma (personally, I want to have either 1 of each type or none at the start of the crossroads, especially with only 4 players so there're more turns to achieve that in). Otherwise, a pretty unfortunate game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the reasons that I do not like the Exodus loyalty mechanism. Especially not combined with the Ionian Nebula. And also a reason why the Cylon Leader agenda's are seriously in need of a redesign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
Because Ameritrash drips with theme...
badge
Yep, that's my avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
@ Flyboy Connor: I always thought the Exodus loyalty mechanism makes even more sense with Ionian Nebula, as there are more executions with the Trauma Tokens (disaster), so the loyalty cards in the deck are shuffled and drawn more often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem of the new loyalty mechanism is that a Cylon might not come out, or very late in the game. The IN causes more executions, but those often happen late in the game, in particular some during the Crossroads Phase. If a Cylon remains undrawn, the humans are probably doing well. Then in the Crossroads, if you get executed (and thus lose all your cards) and draw a Cylon card (as happened in this game), you basically draw a "You Lose" card. That is not fun for you, but neither for the rest of the team who then find out that the reason that the game was a cakewalk was that there wasn't any opposition.

Base game is great. Pegasus is OK. Exodus is a big frakkin' mess. At least, that is my not so humble opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
Because Ameritrash drips with theme...
badge
Yep, that's my avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
The problem of the new loyalty mechanism is that a Cylon might not come out, or very late in the game.

I was aware of that but I thought Ionian Nebula could diminish that problem (haven't tried Ionian Nebula yet).

Quote:
Base game is great. Pegasus is OK. Exodus is a big frakkin' mess. At least, that is my not so humble opinion.

Well, I like the Cylon Fleet Option a lot. Plus you can always play with Pegasus loyalty rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Silva
Brazil
Cuiabá
Mato Grosso
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
redsimon wrote:
Flyboy Connor wrote:
The problem of the new loyalty mechanism is that a Cylon might not come out, or very late in the game.

I was aware of that but I thought Ionian Nebula could diminish that problem (haven't tried Ionian Nebula yet).

It would diminish the problem if some us had ever drawn a disaster token, which we didn't. In fact, the only newly drawed trauma in the whole game was one that Chief got in Sickbay. And Tory drew some at the Crossroads if I'm not mistaken, all of them benevolent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.