Star Trek: Fleet Captains» Forums » General

Subject: Not all Expansions should be created equal? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lester Gash
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
There's been a fair bit of discussion about Expansions over a few threads and most focus on the idea that an expansion will (or should) contain a new fleet (Romulans or Cardassians/Dominion, usually).

I'm certainly up for that. I'm itching to get my hands on a Romulan fleet! However, that kind of expansion is going to be expensive to produce (and buy!). Especially if we want it to contain things like extra Encounters and Missions.

Further, I'd want my Expansions to 'add' to the game in some real way - and I'm not sure that a couple of extra fleets are going to scratch that itch for me. So I think I'd quite like to see a few 'mini' expansions. A box full of Encounters, Missions, and a miniature or two. These could present new gameplay variants, which would hopefully add some extra complexity.

A few ideas immediately spring to mind. A Deep Space Nine box (coming with a Deep Space Nine mini and extra rules based around wormholes, possibly flying off to a different map or just optional 'Wormhole' Encounters for the one who controls DS9); a Borg box (comes with a Borg Cube, possibly a couple of Spheres and presents a 'co-op' scenario); and a Ferengi box (with a Marauder or two, with rules for them moving around the map doing 'business' and generally causing trouble).

I'd much rather see several more affordable expansions like this than just one or two 'big' ones that break the bank. Or am I just barking up the wrong tree?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like your ideas for some smaller expansions. It would also be nice for some of those expansions to contain new location tiles. The 50 tiles included in the base game seem like a lot, but if you play a lot of 4-player games (which use I think 36 tiles), then you're going to see most of the tiles in every game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your ideas, and I'd like to get them _on_top_ of the Romulan fleet

Edit: I think this might be closely related to the success of ST Heroclix: Tactics. Expansions for Tactics will most likely have to be ships, so if it is successful, they can also provide the unpainted models for Fleet captains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ashman wrote:
I like your ideas, and I'd like to get them _on_top_ of the Romulan fleet

^^ this. There absolutely must be a large-ish expansion with a full 12-ship Romulan fleet. Additional expansions with DS9 crew + starbase, maybe some Ferengis, etc, would be nice... but there absolutely MUST be a Romulan fleet!

Have I mentioned that I'd be up for a full Romulan fleet expansion?!?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Gash
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Absolutely. There has to be a Romulan expansion. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Westblade
Australia
Sebastopol
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, but I would like all the Expansions to throw in extra Encounters and Location Hexes. Almost every episode of Trek could be made into an Encounter of some sort, and I want location Hexes for actual planets in the Trek-verse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin McCleary
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'd like an option with large top down counters to replace the "clix ships" and just use plastic clips on the ship cards to denote power setting.

The models are fragile and as noted expensive and frankly don't add that much to the game, so I'd be good with the larger color counter (ship tile) option. Or, if they would simply make the ship tiles available on line for download and mounting that would be an acceptable option.

Agree with more encounter cards and space tiles. Would also like to have maybe some useful rules ref cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a lover of all things heavyweight strategy!
mbmbmbmbmb
i think that the first expnasion should have a decent amount of all things mentioned. Say something like
9 Romulan Ships
80 Command Cards
10 new missions of each type
10 new encounters
10 new space tiles

in total, thats only 139 cards and 10 tiles, and 9 ship molds. Im sure they could market that for somewhere around $40 (simmilar to banners of war).

Edit: fixed horrible math.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bchlax944 wrote:
i think that the first expnasion should have a decent amount of all things mentioned. Say something like
9 Romulan Ships
80 Command Cards
10 new missions of each type
10 new encounters
10 new space tiles

in total, thats only 109 cards and ten tiles, and 9 ship molds. Im sure they could market that for somewhere around $40 (simmilar to banners of war).

Not sure if there even need to be 9 different molds. BoP and Warbirds might be there in multiples ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a lover of all things heavyweight strategy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, i think it would be cool to have some kind of mechanic where each side gets one shuttle craft which has ship stats, maybe only 2 points of damage though, that can be used to deliver and retrieve away teams and different things. I've always hated holding up a great ship to get some of those away teams down. but i guess every hex is supposed to be a sector or so, and you dont often see shuttles traveling sectors. and that would only (Currently) require two molds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Gash
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
The thing is, I'd rather lose some Encounter and Mission Cards (and get them in a small expansion) than lose some ships from a big expansion. I think having one faction have 'less' by only giving them 9 ships and/or less Command Cards will really hurt the game in terms of variety - which is currently one of its real strengths.

So all I really want from the Romulan expansion is 12 ships (I forsee the Scimitar, D'Deridex, Valdore, ToS BoP, D7 and Ent BoP; obviously some doubles), some Location cards (enough to accommodate a 6 player game + some extras) and 100 Command Cards.

I'd be happy to let smaller boxes take care of the other stuff. But that's just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.