Popular Tags: [View All]
Sami Lappetelainen
Finland
Helsinki
-
flag msg tools
mb
Heya,

I have a habit of setting up a soundtrack for each board game that we play often. Obviously the idea is to get to the proper mood and enhance the experience.

Now, despite that we don't play it often, my task would be to set up music for Here I Stand. I would appreciate hints towards proper albums etc. Naturally I've been already hunting to some Gregorian music, choir stuff feels appropriate.

L
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vesa Teräs
Finland
Orimattila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have any of the Europe Universalis computer games, use their soundtrack for basis to build upon. I can make something up from my own collection for the upcoming game after christmas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll want a diverse collection of music I think to reflect all the major players including:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Music-Reformation-Luther-Othmayr-Wal...

also dont forget:

http://www.amazon.com/Music-Spanish-Renaissance/dp/B0000013U...

and maybe some of this:

http://www.amazon.com/Sarayda-Pesrevler-Eserleri-Classical-I...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schmit
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
I was thinking Europa Universalis II as well, though you might want to avoid Falalalalan. I'd find it insanely distracting if it was playing during a game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vesa Teräs
Finland
Orimattila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Contemporary composer Jordi Savall has made/reconstructed plenty of suitable music for both Ottoman and Western Europe powers. He also uses instruments of the era like Viola da Gamba.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sami Lappetelainen
Finland
Helsinki
-
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the ideas so far, pretty good starting point. I don't have EU games, but the other suggestions were widely available in Spotify which makes things easier for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend: Mendelssohn's Fifth Symphony (Reformation) - written 300 years after these events, but in commemoration.

Palestrina: The Pope Marcellus Mass would be a great start, since it was written in response to the Council of Trent. Really anything by Palestrina would probably work.

Tomas Luis de Victoria: his motets or masses . . . whatever you can find. His music has some commonality with Palestrina's, but is generally more expressive.

William Byrd: his choral anthems are great - and frequently in English.

Jan Sweelinck: wrote a pile of organ music towards the end of this period.

Giovanni Gabrieli: The Sonate Pian'e Forte (for brass choirs) is lovely; if you like it there's plenty more in his catalog.

The cantatas and organ music of J.S. Bach were written around a century after this game, but they were the height of Lutheran church music.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Market Harborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
Ne Oublie
badge
You're feeling dizzy... Now all your boardgames belong to me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
During this period, you have plenty of interesting music in Italy (look for madrigals, and especially Cipriano di Rore). This is also the period of Franco-Flemish composers: look for the music of Obrecht, Josquin des Prés, Willaert, Gombert (and just before 1500, Ockeghem) - later Roland de Lassus. There is also Clément Janequin, who wrote many songs. Other names: Zarlino, Merulo, Luzzaschi, and later Gesualdo, Palestrina (writing in the 'tradition' of the Renaissance music) and Monteverdi (the 'modern' school). In England you have Robert Fayrfax, Thomas Tallis (composer of Henry VIII), then later William Byrd, John Bull and John Dowland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JC Connors
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're hunting for something non-period in the soundtrack genre, check out the soundtracks to the Elizabeth movies (especially the Golden Age) and the Tudors television series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.