No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi fellow gamers

Just want to clarify if im playing this right..

the situation is like this,
- a monster is located 1 tile from the hero and on the mushroom patch.
- the hero is located on the edge of his tile facing the monster.
- on villain phase, monster AI card says "If monster within 1 tile of hero then monster move adjacent to hero"

_ _ _ _
_ M _ _
_ _ _ _
_ _ _ _

_ H _ _
_ _ _ _
_ _ O _
_ _ _ _

M=monster,H=hero,o=mushroom patch

how do i move the monster ? Which one is the correct procedure ?

A : i move the monster right next to the hero but still on the monster's original tile, so they both still on different tile but adjacent to each other

_ _ _ _
_ O _ _
_ _ _ _
_ M _ _

_ H _ _
_ _ _ _
_ _ O _
_ _ _ _

B : i move the monster to the hero's tile mushroom patch and from there i move the monster right next to the hero so they both end up on the same tile

_ _ _ _
_ O _ _
_ _ _ _
_ _ _ _

_ H _ _
_ M _ _
_ _ O _
_ _ _ _

* so far im using the 'B' mode of monster movement

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Denny,

you may move the Monster on any square that is adjacent to the closest Hero. I've marked the possible squares in your example with an "X". Just pick the square that is most advantageous to your Hero/ your group of Heroes.

_ _ _ _
_ M _ _
_ _ _ _
X X X _

X H X _
X X X _
_ _ O _
_ _ _ _
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zwerg wrote:
Hi Denny,

you may move the Monster on any square that is adjacent to the closest Hero. I've marked the possible squares in your example with an "X". Just pick the square that is most advantageous to your Hero/ your group of Heroes.

_ _ _ _
_ M _ _
_ _ _ _
X X X _

X H X _
X X X _
_ _ O _
_ _ _ _

thanks for the clarification zwerg. so i been playing it wrong because i interpret that AI card as a monster move to the hero's tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "mushroom patch" is only used when the monster is moving "by tiles", meaning the Tactic actually states "move X tile(s)". When the monster is moving "adjacent", you as the Hero have the freedom to place the monster anywhere you want. Here's an illustration:

If the monster's tactic is to move adjacent to the Cleric, it can move to any of the highlighted squares (the same tile as the Monster, 1 or 2 or even 3 tiles away).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
many thanks , bryce and zwerg !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adan Moreno
msg tools
Water Elemental have the movement like this " it moves to the closest hero's tile " so if he is with in one tile, he moves to the mushroom in the heros tile and attack each hero right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elsospechas wrote:
Water Elemental have the movement like this " it moves to the closest hero's tile " so if he is with in one tile, he moves to the mushroom in the heros tile and attack each hero right?

Correct, assuming the mushroom is not already occupied. Most of the "Area of Effect" monsters work like that, move into an area and attack all the heroes (as opposed to moving adjacent to a hero).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
what happen if your hero currently standing on a mushroom patch and then the MONSTER AI (let say a Drow Mage) told player to 'teleport' the mage into the closest hero tile.. that means teleport to mushroom patch and dislodge the hero currently standing on the patch ? or just any square will do ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:
what happen if your hero currently standing on a mushroom patch and then the MONSTER AI (let say a Drow Mage) told player to 'teleport' the mage into the closest hero tile.. that means teleport to mushroom patch and dislodge the hero currently standing on the patch ? or just any square will do ?

No, whenever you move a monster "by tile", you place it on the mushroom patch if it is unoccupied. If it is occupied, you place it on any unoccupied space (as per the rules, page 6 or something).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Octavian Iancu
Romania
Arad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a question because you brought up the drow wizard. On it's card it says that the drow wizard teleports to the tile with the most heroes. What happens it there is only 1 hero per tile? So nowhere is there a majority of heroes(and there are no heroes on his tile)? Who does he attack? Or does he just stay where he is and not attack?
Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tyco84 wrote:
I've got a question because you brought up the drow wizard. On it's card it says that the drow wizard teleports to the tile with the most heroes. What happens it there is only 1 hero per tile? So nowhere is there a majority of heroes(and there are no heroes on his tile)? Who does he attack? Or does he just stay where he is and not attack?
Thank you!

if there is multiple heroes (single heroes on each tile) then Drow Wizard move to the closest hero, if every hero is in the same range then just roll the DIE and determine which hero the wizard attack..

usually in that kind of situation, you should let the Drow Wizard attack the most vurnerable hero (mirroring the drow's cunning combat strategy in killing the weakened hero 1st)..

so drow wizard attack should be :
1: closest hero
2: most weakened (less HP) hero
3: hero that already in trouble because of other monster
4: the most low performing (offensive/defensive) hero
5: roll dice and determine wich hero to attack (if 2 heros then use odd/even dice value etc)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tyco84 wrote:
Thank you!

Any time there is any ambiguity in monster placement, the active hero chooses. So in your case the drow could move to anyone's tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you choose, don't follow an algorithm!
Don't take away tactical choices!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:
tyco84 wrote:
Thank you!

if there is multiple heroes (single heroes on each tile) then Drow Wizard move to the closest hero, if every hero is in the same range then just roll the DIE and determine which hero the wizard attack..

The number one rule to keep in mind with this game is "when in doubt, the active Hero decides." If the active Hero wants to roll the dice to decide which Hero to attack, that's his prerogative but not prescribed by the rules. The only thing technically in the rules is that the Wizard moves to the closet Hero's tile. The Active Hero simply satisfies that tactic, and he's following the rules. He can choose Hero A with 5 hits or Hero B with 2 hits, either choice he's satisfying the tactic requirement.

Also, Peter Lee (designer) has stated on these forums (actually, the Ravenloft forums) that it was his intention that the Heroes play to their advantage when enacting the monster tactics. It's one of the few tactical choices the game offers, so makes sense.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Haver
United States
Upper Arlington
Ohio
flag msg tools
www.theCOGS.org
badge
www.theCOGS.org
mbmbmbmbmb
The Drow Wand Mage can be particularly effective in those competitive team adventures. Nothing quite like playing hot potato with your opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jef stuyck
Belgium
flag msg tools
ok let me break this rule for a second

lets imagine a situation like this:

---- ----
--M- ----
---- ----
---- ----

---H ----
---- ----
---- ----
---- ----

Monster AI:

if monster is within adjancency of hero attack hero
if monster is 1 tile within hero move to adjacency and attack hero
otherwise move 1 tile towards hero

So as the asshole i am with rules i do this with the monster

---- ----
---- ----
---- ----
---- M---

---H ----
---- ----
---- ----
---- ----

This turn the monster will attack but then with the hero round i do this:

---- ----
---- ----
---- ----
---- M---

---- ----
--H- ----
---- ----
---- ----

This has to happen ...

---- ----
--M- ----
---- ----
---- ----

---- ----
--H- ----
---- ----
---- ----

Then the round after that he can attack again and i just do the same thing as above :s Kinda irritating rules imo then ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jef: Assuming I'm reading you correctly and that's a grouping of four tiles, then yes, that is within the letter of the rules. Humorously enough you can completely shut down a Ravenloft Gargoyle this way, and in fact can find long debates about doing that in the forums for that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jef stuyck
Belgium
flag msg tools
that is just very very game breaking :s i am going to make a house rule that if the monster needs to move adjancent to a hero ... it has to be in the same tile

the only problem is that the monsters will jump over the hero's but this is already happening with other monsters like the spiders and such
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.