Greg Schloesser
United States
Jefferson City
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By: Eric Syrdal

Mike Hayman, Clyde Hayman, Eric Syrdal and Jon Comeaux picked-up the great struggle in this new release by Avalon Hill. The game is based upon the struggle for control of Alexander the Great's empire following his death. The focus is on his generals.

At the beginning of the game, each player is dealt two generals, each which come with their own forces. From the start, it was clear that whoever was dealt Perdiccus would be the one to have the most power and the most opportunity to control the flow of the game. I was fortunate enough to be dealt this powerful general. He begins in Babylon with a sizeable force and is charged with the task of transporting Alexander's body back home to Macedonia. He also receives control of
Alexander IV, which helps serve as a bonus to his 'Legitimacy Points'. Legitimacy accounts for half of the victory points at game's end as it is added with overall victory points to determine the victor.

Most of the game is spent grabbing territory (victory points) and royal heirs (legitimacy points), as well as having marriages (legitimacy points). 'Royal units' will not attack a general with a greater legitimacy rating than their own general. Moreover, if a battle is fought, they will defect to the victor's side following the battle.

The rules for the game were fairly simple to understand but took a long time to explain. However, I do believe that, having played once, future games will go lots smoother.

There are a few cards in the deck that allow nasty things to be inflicted on one's opponents. Actually, a card which allowed a player to steal Alexander's body was played upon me by Mike,, which caused the loss of points. Mike promptly buried the body for a quick two victory points rather than take the chance on transporting it back to Macedonia, which would have yielded an impressive ten points. However, a strange twist of fate allowed me to later play the same card against Mike, thereby stealing the heir Phillip III from him and securing the victory. I possessed all of the heirs and in the fourth turn crowned Heracles King and ended the game. The victory points were added to my legitimacy points, earning me the win.

Enjoying the game so much and having a better understanding of its flow and the rules, we all decided to immediately begin another game of it. We have completed two turns and will continue next week. At the break, the game appears very tightly contested and is gaining increasingly high marks. I can't wait to continue!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Jost
United States
GIlroy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Session Report
gschloesser (#11023),

Never finished the game I take it? In the two games I've hosted I've noted that people have a hard time getting used to the scoring (two tracks with varying importance based on the turn). Did your reporter have that problem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.