United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
should remind folks low free ship threshold of $75 $70 (when did they lower it to $70?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do like the low shipping threshold, but their games are generally more expensive than other online game shops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Chipman
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
vacekrae wrote:

these sale prices are all higher than the normal prices at other olgs. i'm not tracking the "deal" here, unless it is to say that you need to order $30 less to reach the free shipping threshold than you would at other olgs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nunyabisnas wrote:
vacekrae wrote:

these sale prices are all higher than the normal prices at other olgs. i'm not tracking the "deal" here, unless it is to say that you need to order $30 less to reach the free shipping threshold than you would at other olgs.

I actually checked Dixit out at one of the OLGS this morning and it was $24.95. While some places might be cheaper, clearly not all are. It's really the same as ever - always check around before making that purchase...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Chipman
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
anglotiger wrote:
nunyabisnas wrote:

I actually checked Dixit out at one of the OLGS this morning and it was $24.95. While some places might be cheaper, clearly not all are. It's really the same as ever - always check around before making that purchase...

EVERY one of the top 8 olgs at http://www.boardgamesearch.com/ have a lower price than funagain's "sale" price. even thoughthammer, which typically has the 2nd highest prices in the bunch.

my point wasn't that there's a bit of price variance around the games, it was that these "sale" prices are all within range of the normal prices at other olgs. it made me wonder where the "hot deal" was to be found, since it clearly isn't the pricing of the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nunyabisnas wrote:
my point wasn't that there's a bit of price variance around the games, it was that these "sale" prices are all within range of the normal prices at other olgs. it made me wonder where the "hot deal" was to be found, since it clearly isn't the pricing of the games.

I checked Cardhaus:

http://www.cardhaus.com/cgi-local/shop3.pl/SID=3321094724316...

But I agree, 95 cents isn't a hot deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Sipe
United States
Troy
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't know why anyone takes the risk of sticking out their neck to post helpful information in the Hot Deals forum. Nearly every thread gets hijacked by supposed do-gooders who feel the need to dispute the deal. It is really, really annoying.

I appreciate every post whether it is an insane deal or just a heads up to be on the lookout for something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cwsipe wrote:
I really don't know why anyone takes the risk of sticking out their neck to post helpful information in the Hot Deals forum. Nearly every thread gets hijacked by supposed do-gooders who feel the need to dispute the deal. It is really, really annoying.

I appreciate every post whether it is an insane deal or just a heads up to be on the lookout for something.

+1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cwsipe wrote:

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
cwsipe wrote:
... to dispute the deal. It is really, really annoying.

It's also really annoying to see posts like yours trying to put down anyone who has a differing opinion I personally appreciate seeing differing view points and am old enough to be able to then decide with *all* the info if it's a deal for me.

ymmv
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Chipman
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
cwsipe wrote:

there's no risk at all if you do a little leg work before posting a thread.

while i appreciate the initiative and eagerness to put that "heads up" out there, i'd appreciate it more if folk spent a minute or two to determine if something is anywhere close to a "hot deal" before starting a new thread. there is a significant amount of activity in the hot deals forum around the holidays and it becomes too easy to overlook the actual deals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Sipe
United States
Troy
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
cwsipe wrote:
... to dispute the deal. It is really, really annoying.

It's also really annoying to see posts like yours trying to put down anyone who has a differing opinion I personally appreciate seeing differing view points and am old enough to be able to then decide with *all* the info if it's a deal for me.

ymmv

There's a huge difference between sharing a different viewpoint and what goes on in the majority of these kinds of threads. It is a REAL problem. I'm judging by the number of thumbs being thrown around that at least some other users feel it is as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Mayers
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regardless, people will keep posting deals here. Will they all be perfectly researched and worded? Nope. Will they all be free of bias and self-interest? Nope. Is it worth getting mad or sarcastic? Nope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:
cwsipe wrote:

+1

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lupi
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I prefer to accept the work of other people who have done the research saving me time when I do go shopping for something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lupi wrote:

I prefer to accept the work of other people who have done the research saving me time when I do go shopping for something.

sounds like you need to hire a personal shopping consultant instead of browsing a public forum.

honestly, I don't mean to be rude, so I apologize for the sarcasm. however, people need to be more appreciative of what the community does here. no one has to go out of their way to post hot deals. the people that do post do it in an attempt to help you. you can appreciate the people who save you time/money more, but that doesn't mean you have to appreciate the other people any less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lupi wrote:

You're assuming that you have a choice between a good deal post and a so-so deal post. What is being said, is you have a choice between a so-so deal post and none at all. I'll take the so-so.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
The fact that anyone was actually thinking that Funagain would have an amazing deal on anything is stunning to begin with, but if any of you truly feel that the quality control for the hot deals forum is something to get up in arms about in any way at all, you need to take a step back and relax.

So you wasted a minute of your life reading a post about a deal that isn't so great (in your opinion). Big woop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UndeadViking wrote:
The fact that anyone was actually thinking that Funagain would have an amazing deal on anything is stunning to begin with,.

This is actually what I first thought...

But I appreciate the heads up anyway

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Bogerly
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish folks wouldn't take the "Not a good a deal" posts personally.

Please imagine those posts are directed at me, the uninformed shopper, not at you, the original poster. The original post is helpful to start the discussion, but so is the discussion, without it this forum would be less helpful. Maybe folks could be extra sensitive in their replies, but you can't really expect that online, and I'd rather have all the information than have folks afraid to hurt your feelings.

Perhaps you could offer some language at how folks could offer up comparison prices that hurts your feelings less? I don't see anything that rises to personal attacks in these replies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ElbowGirly wrote:
I wish folks wouldn't take the "Not a good a deal" posts personally.

Please imagine those posts are directed at me, the uninformed shopper, not at you, the original poster. The original post is helpful to start the discussion, but so is the discussion, without it this forum would be less helpful. Maybe folks could be extra sensitive in their replies, but you can't really expect that online, and I'd rather have all the information than have folks afraid to hurt your feelings.

Perhaps you could offer some language at how folks could offer up comparison prices that hurts your feelings less? I don't see anything that rises to personal attacks in these replies.

Good way to look at it.

jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One can sift through the occasional opinion to uncover the fact, so I appreciate those that provide more intel about a deal, especially when the OP turns out not to be so hot... either by shill or lack of knowledge.

Just learn to ignore and let go the need to control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Vacek
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Typically, I find the folks here at BGG very positive and supportive. However, there are many comments on this post that just encourage me to not post anymore, which is discouraging. I personally found these games to be deals, and I just wanted to share my excitement with others. I don't consider it a crime even if there IS a better deal out there to be made. If someone doesn't think the games are a deal, then ignore the post or say why you think another place has a better deal. No good can come out of negative criticism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Chipman
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
RhodesN7 wrote:
however, people need to be more appreciative of what the community does here. no one has to go out of their way to post hot deals. the people that do post do it in an attempt to help you. you can appreciate the people who save you time/money more, but that doesn't mean you have to appreciate the other people any less.

so let me recap to make sure i'm tracking. we all seem to agree that posting information about "deals" is a good thing for the community in general. we even seem to agree that it is a good thing for other members of the community to join in and discuss those "deals."

why then do some people get butthurt when a member of the community points out that something may not actually be much of a deal at all?

why is that information not "appreciated" at least as much as the information put out by the OP? if anything, it took more effort to verify the validity of the deal than it did to start a new thread.

Jorune wrote:
You're assuming that you have a choice between a good deal post and a so-so deal post. What is being said, is you have a choice between a so-so deal post and none at all. I'll take the so-so.

fair enough. but even if you don't mind the so-so deal post, i'm wondering what you do when you encounter a post that might just be a so-so deal? do you just move on or do you take the time to verify whether it is a deal or not? if you take the time to verify it, do you then keep that info to yourself or do you share your results with the community?

if you agree that there's no issue with the "hot deals" forum having deals that are considerably less than "hot," is then the onus not on the community to point them out as such?

like i said before, i appreciate the efforts of the people that find and post deals (whether good or bad). i'm just trying to figure out why some people seem to feel that the validity of deal shouldn't be open to discussion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.