Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Before I ask in any HiFi forum, I thought I'll ask the Geeks here:

I'm currently digitizíng my CD collection into FLAC format; for this, I bought me a 2 terabyte disc (in fact, I bought two for backup reasons).

I do have good HiFi equipment at home (amp, CD-player & speakers), but now I'm in need of some component which can read my disc and send it to the amp. I also want such goodies like remote control, playlists, random play and other cool toys (I'm still a Geek).

I don't want a PC or MAC! I want a HiFi component! And a good one too! The most important thing to me is good sound!

Does anyone has any idea what to buy?
Any help is appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh my goodness, so many options! If you have a device that acts as a DNLA server (Windows 7, Windows Home Server, Drobo, Xbox, there's a long list) then you can use any of a wide range of devices to read data off the disk as a stream: Sonos or Logitech Squeezebox for instance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry OP for interrupting your thread (which I like btw, I just don't have a good answer)

Is this what this forum category is supposed to be, or should this be in chit-chat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get a 2011 Mac Mini, it has an optical out (digital) which should hook into your high-end audio product's DACs. Also will talk to your big drive. Looks nice, too, kinda like a stereo component. Server edition will let you configure it with two 750GB drives inside the package, if you don't want to add an ugly external drive case.

Tech Spec Quote: "The headphone / line output port accommodates digital optical audio output, analog audio output with a 24-bit, 44.1-192 kHz D/A converter, digital audio output up to 24-bit stereo and 44.1-192 kHz sampling rate and supporting encoded digital audio output (AC3 and DTS). For analog headphone / line output, use a standard audio cable with 3.5mm metal plug. For digital audio, you can use Apple iPhone headset with microphone or a standard TOSLINK cable with a TOSLINK mini-plug adapter."

Then you install one of the packages to allow iTunes to playback and rip FLAC.

Then you use your iPhone (or iPod Touch) as an awesome touch screen remote control via the 'Remote' app to drive the sucker.

As a bonus, you can use the HDMI out to plug in a tv, use bluetooth mouse and keyboard, and use it for your streaming HD media player, if you need one.

(I know you said you didn't want a PC or a mac, but your qualification of wanting "good sound" and "cool remotes" and the like is much easier if you do go that route... plus, i am aware of no 'component solution' than is as versatile or useful. I also assumed your 'good hifi equipment' included digital inputs and quality D/A converters already in place))
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gee, thanks for the answers and suggestions (and the Geekmails!). I have a lot to learn on this topic I guess!

virre wrote:
Is this what this forum category is supposed to be, or should this be in chit-chat?

I thought so. And I haven't got a reprimand from an admin by now, so I assume it's fine meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
Just make sure that you do proper FLAC rips. Either with dbpoweramp or EAC after setting them up properly.

I love EAC and it's free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slinkydink wrote:
Just make sure that you do proper FLAC rips. Either with dbpoweramp or EAC after setting them up properly.

I love EAC and it's free.

I use foobar & the FLAC plug-ins from the FLAC site. Checked the net a little and most people agreed that the best is EAC or foobar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus A
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My $0.02 and as it happens, my own set-up. whistle
Fanless PC + NAS + stand alone DAC.
Choose the right components and case -> Looks like your average HiFi component and you get your remote.
If you really want to go overboard you can use a iPad as a remote...
J.River Media Center is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.