Subject: Tired already with lining up all those population cubes? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: DIY [+] player-aid [+] [View All]
Delta 5.56
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I am too. So I started to make this little gizmo to help line them up.

This is just the first prototype that I started by hand. Just an exacto and a dremel. TOO MUCH WORK. Need to go use my relative's table saw to make everything accurate. I also made it just 15 cubes to try out. You can make one that does them all at once.

Just take your cubes, dump them in, shake it a little bit to make them fall in and you are ready.

Line it up on your board...

And lift. Presto, they are all lined up ready to roll. Time to scrap the proto type and make a good one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG! Brilliant!

Now I just need a storage/gameplay solution for the stupid ship parts, and I will be set!

Is that balsa? How thick would you recommend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice. This was actually something I had thought of a while ago, but, alas, I'm not the handy type. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Autio
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
Gina, Escher gang leader (Necromunda). Don't mess with her or she'll kick your ass.. actually, she's gonna do it anyway!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's great! Might have to build something like this...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ship parts are a pretty good fit in a Plano 3750 (half the size of a "standard" Plano 3700). I have all of my ships, discs etc separated by player colour in six business card boxes.

The grid for cubes would be really neat made from a cardboard frame - or perhaps thin acrylic, with square holes for the cubes. Actually, that's a really good idea - I wonder if I know anyone who can sort out some laser cutting on the cheap (because it would be a major PITA to do it by hand).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
The ship parts are a pretty good fit in a Plano 3750 (half the size of a "standard" Plano 3700). I have all of my ships, discs etc separated by player colour in six business card boxes.

Yea, but does all of that fit back into the box? I'd like to use a box for the ship parts, but I do not want to remove the insert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Autio
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
Gina, Escher gang leader (Necromunda). Don't mess with her or she'll kick your ass.. actually, she's gonna do it anyway!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaacee wrote:
RDewsbery wrote:

Yea, but does all of that fit back into the box? I'd like to use a box for the ship parts, but I do not want to remove the insert.

It doesn't necessarily have to fit back to the box (although I understand that many people prefer it that way).

Here's how I store/transport mine (Check out details in this thread):

The cases are modular and the compartments can be taken out individually. Everything pretty much stays in the trays even during play and it's easy to set up and tear down in a matter of a few minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delta 5.56
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
OMG! Brilliant!

Now I just need a storage/gameplay solution for the stupid ship parts, and I will be set!

Is that balsa? How thick would you recommend?

I got it from Hobby Lobby. The sticker says Bass wood. Isn't that Balsa? I picked up the 3/32 inch thick one. This thickness is pretty much right on the space between the cube illustrations on the board. I think I may go down one size though. Make it just a bit skinnier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How much interest would there be in custom acrylic frames, which would be made from 3mm thick clear acrylic, overlay the population tracks and be stamped with a series of square holes to hold the population cubes neatly?

I'm going to investigate the cost of getting some made up, and would sell them through the BGG marketplace. Price to be confirmed, but guesstimate would be £15/$25 per set of six overlays. (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to ask for thumbs on this post to help me to gauge the level of interest; I seem to recall someone getting in trouble for that kind of thing in the past, but it would help me to work out whether it was even worth investigating further).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaacee wrote:
RDewsbery wrote:

Everything fits in the original box (for now; if they publish an expansion I might need to rethink matters), but I did have to throw out the insert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delta 5.56
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
How much interest would there be in custom acrylic frames, which would be made from 3mm thick clear acrylic, overlay the population tracks and be stamped with a series of square holes to hold the population cubes neatly?

I'm going to investigate the cost of getting some made up, and would sell them through the BGG marketplace. Price to be confirmed, but guesstimate would be £15/$25 per set of six overlays. (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to ask for thumbs on this post to help me to gauge the level of interest; I seem to recall someone getting in trouble for that kind of thing in the past, but it would help me to work out whether it was even worth investigating further).

Count me in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Autio
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jsh4u2 wrote:
RDewsbery wrote:

Count me in.

Me too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sampo Sikiö
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
designer
it's no secret that the stars are falling from the sky / it's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight / they say the sun is sometimes eclipsed by a moon / you know i don't see you when she walks in the room
badge
Shapers of Dorado
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
How much interest would there be in custom acrylic frames,

Definitely interested!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
Price to be confirmed, but guesstimate would be £15/$25 per set of six overlays.

Why would we need 6 overlays? Just seems sufficient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One per player. The idea is that the overlay isn't simply for lining up the cubes before being lifted off; the overlay would remain on your player board, and the cubes would then be held in place and stay in line as they were added and removed over the course of the game, even if the board were jostled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jsh4u2 wrote:
I got it from Hobby Lobby. The sticker says Bass wood. Isn't that Balsa?

Nope, bass wood is much harder than balsa wood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Pilnick
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually had an idea a few days ago somewhere along these lines but done differently. Unfortunately I don't have the game yet and it looks to come the day before I head out for the holidays. I'll need to revisit the idea once I have the game and some time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure whether this is super awesome or ridiculously useless. Could be both!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink...
mb
aautio wrote:
jsh4u2 wrote:
RDewsbery wrote:

Count me in.

Me too!

I would be interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd buy a set of overlays.

Are you going to Stabcon Richard? I'm hoping to get a couple of games in on the Saturday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Geuss
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
out4blood wrote:

While the components and boards suggest that the ship components should be divided, it seemed to work fine to just keep all the ship parts in a bowl and fish them out as needed. Doing this will also speed up setup and take down times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a possibility, depending upon work commitments, weather and energy levels, but Stockport is quite a long way for me to drive just for one day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
RDewsbery wrote:

I'd be interested. How much would shipping to the continent be?
I might also be interested in more than six frames. I saw somewhere that the designers are thinking about a supplement with two or three more player colours, so that the game can be played with eight or nine people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Auken
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i would be interested in the overlay.

I am actually looking into 11 x 14 overlay for the whole sheet because mine are warping and no matter what I do I cannot keep them flat. you wouldn't think this would be a big deal on such a thin sheet, but it really makes everything much more susceptible to being jostled out of place. I was thinking I would just cut a grid for cube section right into the larger sheet.

I am also trying to think of a way to more permanently mark resources around outside edge since this seems like an area where the cyclinders would be constantly knocked around.

In any case, not sure if/when this would happen thus my interest in your overlay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Pilnick
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cva3 wrote:
i would be interested in the overlay.

I am actually looking into 11 x 14 overlay for the whole sheet because mine are warping and no matter what I do I cannot keep them flat. you wouldn't think this would be a big deal on such a thin sheet, but it really makes everything much more susceptible to being jostled out of place. I was thinking I would just cut a grid for cube section right into the larger sheet.

I am also trying to think of a way to more permanently mark resources around outside edge since this seems like an area where the cyclinders would be constantly knocked around.

In any case, not sure if/when this would happen thus my interest in your overlay.

This sounds like what I was envisioning as well. Between not having the game yet and holiday travel though, I can't work on it until after the new year. If no one has done it by then, I will be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.