Subject: is it a good 2 player game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
oren kostin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
hi,
i'm on the fence buying this game or elder sign.
which of the 2 games is more fun for 2 players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have them both, and even played both of them 2 player this weekend, so I feel perfectly qualified to respond!

I will say that both are easily playable & fun with only two, but are even more fun with additional people playing. They are quite dissimilar in mechanics & theme, so I can't easily tell you which I would consider better.

Overall, The biggest difference when looking at these as two player games is that Eldar Sign is coop, and Blood Bowl is not. So do you want to play WITH the other player...or AGAINST them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Interesting that you picked those two, as they are both kinda abstractions of their original themes (Blood Bowl, and Arkham Horror.) Neither are brainburners, but for me BBTM starts out fun and keeps the fun level up the whole time. A 2-player game in BBTM is slightly modified from the regular 3-4 player version (4 weeks instead of 5, and you don't even use the Spike Magazine cards), but is still fun, as the fans pile up and the leader often changes from week to week. Elder Sign is okay, but something about the gameplay just didn't really hit me as being particularly fun (in the long-term) or particularly thematic.

So for me, BBTM is more fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find BBTM to be the better game overall. But it's apples and oranges and it totally depends on who the two people are. BB is a fun but competitive game that can get very cut throat. Signs is a co-op game. BB I find scales really well from 2 to as many as 5 (even though it's 2-4 on the box) players. Signs on the other hand supports more players and can be played solo.

But given all of that if I was asked to play one over the other BBTM every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My psychology works weirdly. BBTM is quite an adequate game for 2 players, but the fact it's even more fun with 3 or 4 makes it so that I can't enjoy the 2 players game much. I have the opposite problem with Ascension. Even though it's a quite adequate game at 3+, the fact it's optimal for 2 players means I can't enjoy the multiplayer games as much.

But then I have a quasi-OCD need to optimize everything, everywhere (the perfect is the enemy of the good). If you're just looking for games that are fun at 2 players, I think BBTM qualifies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sinodinos
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnwoo wrote:
hi,
i'm on the fence buying this game or elder sign.
which of the 2 games is more fun for 2 players?

A simple question deserves a simple answer: Blood Bowl -Hands down! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oren kostin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thx everyone for the your answers.
I'll pick blood bowl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markku Simonen
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I play it against my wife all the time. Works well. I wouldn't say the game is more/less fun depending on amount of players, just has a different feel to it. I enjoy it immensely both ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The rwinder
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Come read my Arkham Horror stories on Twitter @ArkhamHorror
badge
Image courtesy of Smizmazmarlemagne
mbmbmbmbmb
johnwoo wrote:
Thx everyone for the your answers.
I'll pick blood bowl

It's belated, but perhaps someone else also has this question. Owning both and having played both with various numbers of players, I feel qualified to speak.

Blood Bowl: Team Manager is my favorite new game this year, and I play it mostly with 2 (though it is even better with more people involved). I'd lean toward suggesting it over Elder Sign because I'll want to play it more especially if I have another player. (Elder Sign is also solo-able if that matters to you... and is fast and fun when played solo which is also a plus.)

Since I'd argue they are both fun for two and since these are two really different games though, so your decision should be based on the kind of game you want. If you like very competitive games then get BBTM. If you like co-operative games more, get Elder Sign.

Both are very luck heavy but you can influence your level of risk through decisions. If you like the FFG-type games, then you can't go wrong with either of these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oren kostin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Most the games I play are co-op.
After reading a couple of reviews I understand that elder sign is a bit disapointing as a multiplayer game. Plus, my friend already owns the app.
I think blood bowl will add a new flavor to our gaming nights.

How is the elder sign app compared to the card game?
Does it feel entirely different?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like this one for two players. There is a very rock paper scissors feel to this game between team styles. There are teams that can easily mop the floor with others, who will be easy taken out by other teams that are weak against the team that the first team can easily beat.

That being said, in a 3 or 4 player game, you can choose your match ups to maximize your strengths. In a 2 player game, there is a good chance of one team being disadvantaged on just about every match up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I learned and first played this game with 4, and just over the holidays played with 2 for the first time (several times actually) and really loved it. Saw some mixed feelings on BGG so I was a bit hesitant but it was a huge success. Benefits:

-Plays much faster. A common complaint about BB (which I share) is that it seems to take about 30-45m longer than it should when playing with 3-4. With 2 once you have learned the game, you can knock a game out in 30m, which is really impressive.

-Great way to teach. BB sometimes doesn't go down all that smoothly when you're trying to teach in a 3-4p game. There's just so much going on in terms of upgrades that it's almost impossible for a new player to keep reasonable tabs on things (almost reminds me of Innovation in a way). Not so with 2 -- really simplifies the learning process.

-Matchups. Not sure about the rock-paper-scissors point above (honestly don't have enough experience to opine either way), but with 2 we did random for the first couple games then found teams we really liked and went at it with those. In general it's much easier to agree to pick teams with 2 than with 4.

I still think the ideal number for the game is 3, but I found it very worthwhile with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.