Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up Sekigahara during the fall GMT sale, I've read through the rules and will probably set up a solo/learning game over the holidays. I bought the game based on what I learned in the forums and the reviews I've read on BGG. I know very little Japanese history, especially this time period. I've found the historical notes in the rule book fascinating and I thought I'd use the collective horsepower of BGG to recommend any books on the period to further my knowledge.

Thanks!

On another note wouldn't it be great if all games had a suggested reading list in the rules? I've seen this a few times with some Gamers SCS games and I've always found it valuable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"Laser-focused, with a half thought-out plan, this is what a hero looks like." -Narrator in the 2018 Peter Rabbit movie.
mbmbmbmbmb
Very entertaining reading is Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa. But this is not history: it's historical fiction. It has almost nothing to do with Sekigahara except that the young Musashi was on the losing side in the battle and the book opens with his flight from the battlefield.

You won't learn a blessed thing about events in the game, but you'll be royally entertained!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivica Crljenica
Sweden
Nacka
Stockholms län
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Calkins' recommendation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom moughan
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
ahh....I love the smell of a stack of sketchily placed animals in the morning!
mbmbmbmbmb
SHOGUN

and then afterward:

this free PDF
Learning from SHOGUN:
Japanese History and Western Fantasy

Yes, that would be a good idea. This is fiction based on fact as well. There is also a TV series based on this which you could scoop up on DVD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pomeroy
United States
Chester Springs
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sos1 wrote:
Very entertaining reading is Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa. But this is not history: it's historical fiction. It has almost nothing to do with Sekigahara except that the young Musashi was on the losing side in the battle and the book opens with his flight from the battlefield.

You won't learn a blessed thing about events in the game, but you'll be royally entertained!

Yoshikawa's other magnus opus, TAIKO follows the career of sandal bearer to general Hideyoshi who died in 1598, two years before the battle of Sekigahara. While you don't get Sekigara you get all the politicking and battles leading up to it, including insight into the men behind on those spiffy Mon on the blocks. Again, per Stefan, historical fiction not straight history, but very well regarded and very readable. Well worth searching out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Benito Richards
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may wish to read Osprey Publishing's Campaign Series nº 40, which deals specifically with this campaign. The book is entitled "Sekigahara 1600 The Final Struggle for Power".
My personal view is that it is quite complete and lavishly illustrated, but sometimes a bit too dense. I have no knowledge of the Japanese language, and there are a great many unfamiliar place and people's names that are difficult to keep track of... especially when the author calls a person sometimes by the first name, sometimes by the last name, and sometimes by the title. However, I think you end up with a very clear idea of what happened in this campaign, why and how.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.