Subject: Retreat question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Spinello
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
The retreat rules state that friendly units in a hex with a friendly retreating unit undergo a morale check and that the defending arty does as well.

Does the defending arty still do this if it is the attacking side that is forced to retreat??

If so, why?

John S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doane
United States
Walpole
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John,
No, see the definition of the R result in 13.1 in the series rules:

"The other friendly units in the close combat, and the Defender’s artillery (but not the Attacker’s artillery), must make a morale check; if they fail, they must retreat one hex also."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Spinello
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Rob,

thanks for the response. I'm still confused, though. It still sounds to me like a defender's arty would make a morale check when an attacker retreats.

Take the wording in the AC combat result paragraph for example. It is very clear to me here that only the retreating sides arty makes a morale check, but this is the only place where this is worded in this manner. Everywhere else in the rulebook, it seems to be written differently.

John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doane
United States
Walpole
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I see now. I misunderstood your original question. Here is the rule in question in 13.1:

The owning player retreats the affected unit one hex (see 13.2). The other friendly units in the close combat, and the Defender’s artillery (but not the Attacker’s artillery), must make a morale check;...

The intent of this rule is that if the defender receives a retreat result, his lead unit retreats and the rest of his units, including his artillery if he has any, have to make a morale check. If the attacker receives a retreat result, the process is the same except that his artillery does not make a morale check. I can see why you read it the way you did, though.

So the answer to your question is no, if the attacker has to retreat, the defender's artillery does not also check to see if it retreats (unless, of course, the result was R/R in which case the defender would have to make morale checks for all of his units in the hex, including the artillery if he had any).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.