Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that it is highly recommended to play this game at maximum capacity with five players, but here is my dilemma.

I have basically two game groups.

The first group is composed of seasoned gamers at my local game store. They will try just about anything once or twice, but are often victims of the "Cult of the New", of which I am myself am also a victim, if I want to be perfectly honest. I feel like I could get one or two plays at the full five players with this group. That's great.

However, my family is my second gaming group. Now... they are by no means Gateway Gamers. They mostly like medium to heavy Euro Games, like Caylus, Belfort, Hansa Teutonica, Die Burgen von Burgund, Airlines Europe etc...

Problem is. We typically only have the three of us in my family group, but they are HUGE Game of Thrones fans.

Will we be satisfied playing this with three? All opinions are welcome!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mehlhoff
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you won't be satisfied playing this with 3 and even 4 can be a bit rough.

6 Players - perfect
5 Players - recommended but make the neutral areas by Martell (left out) impenetrable instead of able to be taken over
4 Players - would work but won't get the full feel for the diplomacy of it
3 Players - not recommended as the conflict won't be the same and the diplomacy would be non existent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LannisterGold wrote:

6 Players - perfect
5 Players - recommended but make the neutral areas by Martell (left out) impenetrable instead of able to be taken over
4 Players - would work but won't get the full feel for the diplomacy of it
3 Players - not recommended as the conflict won't be the same and the diplomacy would be non existent

OK. Thanks. Means a lot considering you rate the game a 9

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Dupuis
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To do the game justice, I often play with 3 to 4 players since this all I can muster as players. I find it just as fun, especially when one is getting the upper hand on the other two. Alliances tend to switch faster then with more players. The mechanics are still fun and the strategy still as intense if not more since you have no allies to fall upon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seli L
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
LannisterGold wrote:

I wouldn't outright dismiss the 3-player game. There's indeed not the potential of the 5/6-player game, having to deal with 2 or with 4/5 opponents is just not the same, but I wouldn't say the diplomacy would be non-existent. If you find the right people (which your family might be, if they are huge fans and could get into the mindset of all the backstabbing and tricky politics and enjoy it), then you possibly could have a quite interesting game of trying to find the fragile balance in fighting and cooperating with the 2 other people at the same time. Meaning, if 2 people simply join against the third one and beat that played into oblivion, the game will be just a waste of time, but if everybody will try to win by using and outsmarting the other two, there is room for diplomacy and it might work.

I've never actually played the game with so few players, so don't put that much weight to what I say, there must be many games which are more suitable for 3 players, but if you like the theme and get lucky I think this one might do too. There are people who allow only table talk while playing this, who discuss only with one or two other players even if it's a 6-player game, or even who don't bother with diplomacy at all and consider this some kind of a multiplayer chess and they think it works for them *shrug*. Let me put it this way: I wouldn't buy the game I were you, but if I could try it first, I would give it a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no friends with 5/6 players anyway. 3 players just means fewer enemies for me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.