Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering what people think about this, good or bad. I'm torn on my thoughts about this one. I've only played the game once but it seems like maybe 4 rout cards are too many (I believe both sides have the same amount, I know the Confederates do).

I like the fact a player can win by eliminating a lot of enemy forces and then getting a lucky roll, without meeting their objectives, but I'm wondering if there are too many chances.

Like I stated I've only played once, hopefully with more plays I'll see more for myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
Germany
Senftenberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's all right. Without the rout card at all, there would be no incentive to preserve your troops. And with a smaller number of cards you won't be guaranteed to have each player get one - so each player has the same chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bloody Gauntlet wrote:
I think it's all right. Without the rout card at all, there would be no incentive to preserve your troops.

It's a good feature of the game, IMHO - in addition, this was the first major battle of the war and the cohesion of the opposing forces was in doubt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I also suspect that Rout will be the primary means of Union Victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ware
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
havoc110 wrote:
I also suspect that Rout will be the primary means of Union Victory.

It sure was when my son beat me in our first game yesterday.

We both thought his position was hopeless—he only had two cards left
in his draw deck, and I still held two stars and Manassas Station. Then
he noticed that six of my units had been eliminated, played two Rout
cards from his hand, on one with the second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Williams
Australia
Enmore
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clash of Wills: Shiloh 1862 largely eliminates this potential problem by replacing the Rout cards with Withdrawal cards. They operate in a similar way, with an instant win determined by a 2d6 roll, however the Withdrawal has a base target number of 3 to which your opponent's casualties are added and your own casualties are subtracted. Some may wish to play Bull Run Rout cards the same way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.