Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Wilkins
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
My Sea Hag got Sea Hagged... might as well drink my own piss
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a game on Isotropic recently where the kingdom had mega-draw potential. The game included City/Village for +actions, Wharf for +cards/+buy, Steward for trashing, and to top it all off: Quarry to the decrease the cost of all these wonderful actions! (I know, I know... I didn't mention Mine even though that's what this article is supposed to be about; but to be honest, it wasn't on my radar to start the game.)

Here's the full kingdom:

$3: Oasis, Steward, Village, Watchtower
$4: Quarry
$5: Bazaar, City, Horn of Plenty, Mine, Wharf
Colonies/Platinum are in play

Turn 1/2: We both opened Quarry/Steward. I opened with Quarry because of its potential to grab actions on the cheap and Steward for its trashing ability.

Turn 10: My deck is to the point where I have enough extra buys for whatever I need to do, and am consistantly drawing 9 cards to start each turn thanks to the 4 Wharves in my deck (playing 2/turn). Here's where I pick up a second Quarry, because apparantly I need more actions for even cheaper.

Turn 11/12: This is where I finally have the epiphany that I will actually need those pesky green crads in my deck if I want to win this thing, and if I get too out of control with my buy-more-actions-now strategy, I might accidentally force a premature 3-pile ending to this game. To get green cards, I will need money (oh yeah..). My whole source of money at this point is a Steward (which I now use for the +$2), 2 Quarries, and 2 Coppers (not much to write home about). I pick up 11 cards on these two turns: 6 Cities, 1 Bazaar, 1 Wharf, and 3 Mines. Since I can't afford to buy money, I will just make it out of whatever I already have!

Turn 13:
Triple Mine: Copper -> Platinum.
Buy 1st Colony (and a Bazaar).

Turn 14:
Double Mine: Silver -> Platinum.
Mine: Quarry -> Gold
Buy 2nd Colony (and a Gold).

Turn 15: My opponent bought 2 Colonies on his last turn and we are now tied at 2 a piece, plus he's kept one of his opening Estates. I have another epiphany where I now realize that I will need to get more than 1/Colony per turn if I want to win since my opponent's deck has gotten to the point where it has 2-Colony/turn potential. Here's where it gets a little weird:

I played a ton of different action cards on this turn so I feel like Horn of Plenty can help me out here so I set out to acquire them through Mine.

Mine: Quarry -> Horn of Plenty
Mine: Gold -> Horn of Plenty
Mine: Gold -> **Horn of Plenty

** Right about here is where I realize that I am mining Gold into a cheaper treasure. I have to fight off the feeling of panic that sets in when all of my Dominion instincts tell me that this is not how you are supposed to use Mine!! Copper -> Silver, Silver -> Gold, Gold -> Platinum... that's how it works, no?

Well, it just so turns out that I had played 8 different cards on my turn so each Horn of Plenty is worth $8 and I turn in each one for a Province. I also buy a Colony to end my turn.

Turn 16: Opponent picks up 2 more Colonies, leaving one remaining. I pick up the last Colony and an Estate for good measure and win 59-41; by 18 points (that's 3 Provinces for those of you counting out there).

I've played over 1,000 games on Isotropic and there are still "wow" moments like this for me. I also loved that the deck I built had important cards from many of the different Dominion sets, demonstrating that synergy exists between cards from different expansions as well.

Village, Mine [Base]
Steward [Intrigue]
Wharf, Bazaar [Seaside]
Quarry, City [Prosperity]
Horn of Plenty [Cornucopia]

For those interesed, a link to the full game Isotropic log:

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/19/game-2011121...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree, inventive use of Mine there.

Have you contributed this to the Great Isotropic moments at Dominion Strategy?

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=1143.0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wilkins
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
My Sea Hag got Sea Hagged... might as well drink my own piss
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
Agree, inventive use of Mine there.

Have you contributed this to the Great Isotropic moments at Dominion Strategy?

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=1143.0

Thanks for the suggestion. I will post about this in that forum!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Goldthorpe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Mines can be very useful for creating specific treasures when you need them, such as potions for alchemy. In terms of closing out a game, I think I once mined treasures into talismans on the last turn just so that I could buy out the third supply pile at double speed. I don't think I mined my gold down though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.